on 14 September 2004
You know the story... what another cookbook... Then you ask yourself, 'do I really need another cook book?, well after reading through large sections of this book, YES... I think you do. Probably just like you we have got a large number of cook books at home, so what makes this so special and stand out from the rest.
Well, I have two young children and like so many parents I have this growing concern about the amount of junk food that is available and how it can affect the behaviour of our kids. There are fatty foods, additives, colourings and god knows what else in food today. The Food Bible contains lots and lots of information about these and other food and drink types (e.g. caffeine, canned food, etc), human diseases and disorders (eczema, cancer, colic, colds, etc) and much much more. Each section gives you reasonably detailed information on each topic and how it can affect your childs diet.
This together with eating plans and nutritional needs for different age groups (from weaning to teenagers) makes this a very useful book indeed. It opened my eyes a little more,that's for sure.
It even has some good recipes as well, which suit gluten, nut, wheat and dairy free people. This book has so much information that I feel I have not done it justice, buy it, you won't be disappointed.
on 23 November 2010
I hired this book from my local library and it's absolutely fantastic! I have a four year old and 8 month old and it's great for both of them. It covers from weaning to teenage years, is well laid out and easy to understand. I was especially impressed that explained what a portion/serving size actually is for different age groups. It covers nutrition, feeding plans, recipes, growth charts, and an A-Z section of every subject related to childrens food and health that you could imagine! It is a big book but it really is the only book you'll ever need when it comes to your children's eating and even after four years of being a mother it has taught me a great deal extra about children's cooking and nutrition. I will definately be buying my own copy to live in the kitchen with my adult cookery books!
on 14 July 2012
An excellent book. Published in 2004 but still for sale. Lots of precious info on nutrition for children.
My daughter and mums net say go to semi skimmed at 2 yrs but then replace the fat with chocolates andrubbish ready meals. Wells disagrees and argues well for whole milk and less rubbish.

Lots of simple concepts that get overlooked in this rushed world where parents never had Home Economics.

Recommended. Especially secondhand!
on 11 August 2010
As a mum of one 2 year old,who's diet was brilliant up until now,this book has been a godsend!The book is a must for every parent.From weaning to teenage years,it has an A-Z of a child's health and diet,recipes for all ages and meal planning for each stage of a child,which is a great help(knowing exactly what their daily intake should be).It also has nutrient sources and growth charts which are also a great help!I would definitely recommend this book.