Customer reviews

Children of Fire: (The Chaos Born 1)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 November 2014
Another great story from Drew. I think I have all of his work between books and my kindle. Children of Fire is a bit more challenging to read than say his Mass Effect or Star Wars books, which both draw heavily upon already established universes. CoF though is completely from scratch, an original realm. Whilst influences from LoTR, Star Wars, GoT etc can not be ignored, it matters not. All great work is influenced by something else. The important fact is that enough to change to make the whole experience fresh. I will admit, I was a tad concerned for around the first third of the book which skips through the years and characters. However for those who have read any epic novel, these things have to be done to make the rest of the book flow better. I have already bought the second part (The Scorched Earth) and looking forward to starting it tonight.
on 29 September 2013
I didn't have high expectations going in as this is his first book that isn't built as tie in to a pre-existing universe (Mass Effect, Star Wars etc).

I was pleasantly surprised that he created something unique and didnt go for just the standard elves, dwarves, fairies stuff. The writing style is excellent. He avoids the trap of ageing the language in the prose to fit with the era and instead inky tweaks it in the dialogue.

There is a lot of initial setup but I think this enhances the characters and gives them a richer backstory. I can't wait for the next one.
2 people found this helpful
on 17 October 2013
This book is incredible, I'm about three quarters of the way through and I love it. I can see hints of inspiration from Star wars, Mass effect, and even a little Dragon age, but that's to be expected due to his history. All in all, this book is amazing, and I think it is going to make an incredible series. I hope these one day even turn into films.
One person found this helpful
on 17 November 2013
I can't wait to read the next chapter. One of the best debut novels I have read. Very impressive. I couldn't bear to put it down.
on 7 October 2013
One word. Simply brilliant. Enough said. End of. Nothing else. Finished. Done. 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
One person found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 14 September 2013
Drew is an author I know more from his forays into the Star Wars world and whilst I've enjoyed them, I've always been curious to see what he'd deliver when give the opportunity to play in an environment of his own devising. What this book does is play to Drew's strengths, it has great characters, brings a world that has definitive rules and when added to an overall arc that really digs deep gives the reader something special.

Add to the mix top notch prose, a great set of cast within and of course an authors who understands what his readers not only wants but delivers a story that will hit the spot, all round makes this a cracking start to a new series. Magic.
5 people found this helpful
on 8 August 2017
very impressed with this book, the world is interesting and the narrative which spans many years follows the life of 4 each touched by chaos and their lives and destiny connected in many ways, there is no filler at all here and each page moves the story along, it's very well written and a great book for anyone that enjoys fantasy and perfect for someone eager to try fantasy.

Children of Fire follows many typical fantasy stereotypes tho that's not really a bad thing and the author does a great job of keeping the familiar fresh throughout.

its pretty cliche here and there but it makes up for it by being an extremely fun and entertaining read.