Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 April 2017
Another stunner from Julies. The book flows on from book 2 but follows another member of the Sevenwaters family. It took me a few pages to get my head around the 15 or so years gap but it works really well, concentrating from characters ostracised in book 1. The book keeps you wanting to read more. If you like fantasy, intrigue, likeable characters, a gripping underlying plot and to be drawn into Ireland during its earliest days when faeries, myths, magic and druids took the stage these books are for you. I'm hooked now and I'm not a youngster ☺
on 15 March 2017
Juliet Marillier is my favourite writer nowadays. She has a way of building up the story around strong female characters towards the climax that just keeps you glued to the pages of her books. I absolutely love all her books, this one included.
on 14 June 2017
Have already sent for more of Juliets books I love them can't put the book down once I've started
on 25 August 2017
Excellent,thanks
on 24 November 2004
Just like the rest of the Sevenwaters Trilogy, The Child of the Prophecy was a wonderfully written, engrossing book that dragged me into a whole different place where magic seemed to touch every corner of the world encompassed within it's pages. Juliet Marillier's books are the kind you can re-read on a rainy afternoon when you just want to unwind. Though they are certainly filled with fantasy, they have a touch of human feeling that makes me feel warm inside. Fantasy is too often cold and lacking in the the emotional department, but Marillier's work has certainly not fallen into that trap!
The Child of the Prophecy is probably the best of this trilogy. Marillier's writing has grown and improved over the span of the three books, and her characters have grown more real over time. For example, the main character Fainne is hardly perfect. She's flawed, troubled, arrogant and vulnerable and undeniably human in a way that I cannot help but empathise with.
The romance, too, is warm and bittersweet and both tragic and funny at turns. It came across as an almost realistic relationship - the kind that is not eternal and does not defy all boundaries and yet... Well, you'll have to read it to find out, won't you?
In conclusion: I loved this book. It has darkness. It has sorocery. It has far more fantasy elements than the first two novels. And yet, it is perhaps the most human of them all.
on 15 October 2012
I have read all three books in the trilogy and have to say that this was my least favourite of the three; I liked Daughter of the Forest, I loved Son of the Shadows and have to say that I found Child of the Prophecy rather disapointing, I suppose mainly because, no matter how hard I tried, I simply cannot like Fainne. The writing is still beautiful and it was good to find out what happened to the characters I loved so much from the other books, but I have to say that my complete dislike of the narrator distracted me from the rest of the story - I do however accept that it is likely a mark of Juliet Marillier's skill of character development that made me able to dislike her so much!
on 29 June 2007
Have been meaning to reveiw this book for a while as it caused me some very sleepless nights. I bought the first two books and read within a few days then I tried to buy this one, it was out of print, after many phone calls and desperate hair pulling i bought a copy from the USA (hurray).

If you have read the first two books you will want to know how the struggle for the islands ends also. Of the three this is my least favourite, I think it was because the character of Fainne was flawed because of the different elements pulling her in opposite directions and it made her less likable than either Sorcha or Liadan. However this is still an excellent book and I was sad when I had finished it because I still wanted to know how the lives of Johnny and Fainne turned out and how their descendants turned out too.

Juliet Marillier is a fabulous author and if you like this style of writing then what are you waiting for, go buy all her books!!
on 7 August 2014
A tough choice between 4/5*. If I had to choose I would select Son of Shadows as the stronger narrative but the pace of the two novels is very different. This one is much slower with much of the dramatic action taking place after Fainne reaches Sevenwaters, but in the end I felt this was a strength. Although each of Marillier's novels follow a romance pattern, there is enough alternative action and world to distract from the HEA, and make you wonder if and how the characters will find a resolution. Darragh is deliberately as different to Bran as Fainne is to Liadan. Marillier once again uses tales to great effect and I enjoyed Laiden's machinations unlike some readers-without it Fainne would have been a very simple, naïve character. JM is consistently good at painting character and place, making this series an enjoyable read even once you suspect developments. Revisiting Bran, Liaden and Finbar was also fun.
on 17 August 2013
despite some saying this book was rubbish compared to the first two i have to admit that i loved this book, ok maybe not as much as the first one but i definitely don't think it was rubbish!
i really enjoyed this book and despite buying this book about five years ago i can't seem to part with it!
on 25 May 2007
I have just finished reading the third book of the Sevenwaters Trilogy and I am really sad that this is now the end. Again, this is a very gripping tale with unexpected twists and turns and as beautifully written as the first two. The Sevenwaters Trilogy was my first 'journey' into the historical fanatasy novel world and I am now keen to read more books like these. However, as the story of the generations at Sevenwaters Keep was so fascinating throughout all 3 books, I am also in hope that somehow Juliet Marillier will write a bit more about this family. How about some kind of Encyclopaedia of Sevenwaters?