- Hardcover: 984 pages
- Publisher: University of Chicago Press; 15th Revised edition edition (16 Sept. 2003)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0226104036
- ISBN-13: 978-0321115836
- Product Dimensions: 15.9 x 5.1 x 23.5 cm
- Average Customer Review: 7 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 399,195 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
The Chicago Manual of Style: For Authors, Editors and Copywriters Hardcover – 16 Sep 2003
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Offering updated material to reflect current style, this 15th edition includes guidance on electronic publications, journals and mathematical copy. A comprehensive gathering of material, the Chicago Manual of Style is an essential reference for publishing professionals.
From the Inside Flap
Those who work with words know how dramatically publishing has changed in the past decade, with technology now informing and influencing every stage of the writing and publishing process. In creating the fifteenth edition of the Manual, Chicago's renowned editorial staff drew on direct experience of these changes, as well as on the recommendations of the Manual's first advisory board, composed of a distinguished group of scholars, authors, and professionals from a wide range of publishing and business environments.
Every aspect of coverage has been examined and brought up to datefrom publishing formats to editorial style and method, from documentation of electronic sources to book design and production, and everything in between. In addition to books, the Manual now also treats journals and electronic publications. All chapters are written for the electronic age, with advice on how to prepare and edit manuscripts online, handle copyright and permissions issues raised by technology, use new methods of preparing mathematical copy, and cite electronic and online sources.
A new chapter covers American English grammar and usage, outlining the grammatical structure of English, showing how to put words and phrases together to achieve clarity, and identifying common errors. The two chapters on documentation have been reorganized and updated: the first now describes the two main systems preferred by Chicago, and the second discusses specific elements and subject matter, with examples of both systems. Coverage of design and manufacturing has been streamlined to reflect what writers and editors need to know about current procedures. And, to make it easier to search for information, each numbered paragraph throughout the Manual is now introduced by a descriptive heading.
Clear, concise, and replete with commonsense advice, The Chicago Manual of Style, fifteenth edition, offers the wisdom of a hundred years of editorial practice while including a wealth of new topics and updated perspectives. For anyone who works with words, whether on a page or computer screen, this continues to be the one reference book you simply must have.
What's new in the Fifteenth Edition:
* Updated material throughout to reflect current style, technology, and professional practice
* Scope expanded to include journals and electronic publications
* Comprehensive new chapter on American English grammar and usage by Bryan A. Garner (author of A Dictionary of Modern American Usage)
* Updated and rewritten chapter on preparing mathematical copy
* Reorganized and updated chapters on documentation, including guidance on citing electronic sources
* Streamlined coverage of current design and production processes, with a glossary of key terms
* Descriptive headings on all numbered paragraphs for ease of reference
* New diagrams of the editing and production processes for both books and journals, keyed to chapter discussions
* New, expanded Web site with special tools and features for Manual users. Sign up at www.chicagomanualofstyle.org for information and special discounts on future electronic Manual of Style products.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I ordered the 15th ed. because it was very cheap (around £6) and I needed some quick basic answers as well as some more advanced things. But I think the best solution, even if you manage to find a heavily discounted copy of the 16th, is to subscribe to the online edition, though it is definitely a bit pricey for anyone thinking long-term (about £20 per year).
An essential reference for authors, wannabes, editors, proofreaders, publishers and geeks.
Similar to the previous editions this fifteenth edition has a new section on American English - essential for authors wishing to get published in the growing US technical market, vastly improved electronic publications section (roll on 16th edition!) and all written with the same old authoritative reverance worthy of yet another classic.
Buyers of 14th edition will almost certainly want to upgrade just to stay current.
Five stars - this book is essential reading.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?