on 2 March 2016
Knowing Charlie Brooker from his weekly / annual wipe programs & assuming he is the spiritual father of the likes of Phillomena Cunk and Barry Sh..peas, I had very high hopes when I bought this one. And lo and behold, all my expectations were met. What a great series! In the mean time I bought series 2 as well, and I can say it is as fantastic, brilliant and bizarre as the first series.

To explain what Black Mirror is to those who have no clue and somehow make their way to this review: it is a series of 40-50 minute, unrelated episodes, featuring a very dystopian future - a very near future in fact (people still drive cars and wear glasses, it's just the IT-stuff and iphones and what not that have gone ballistic). I think it is brilliant, just give it a try!
on 23 August 2015
HOw is life and what is it going to be like? the way we live it now is not so far from the distopian future depicted in this first trilogy (the second season will follow the same approach). This series is a mix of Twilight zone (although dealing with reality and not fantasy) and a sociological pamphlet updated to the times and places of the great digital revolution. Sometimes it even feels like what we see has already happened, that is maybe the reason why someone has pointed out that Black Mirror is not so original and unconventional. To me this is not the point: it is a wonderfully written and directed operation, and if we find some reflections that we agree with and already popped up in our mind, it simply means that Charlie Broker hit the point. This is a picture of ourselves, our solitude, our fears and the risks that current technology can lead us to: something new and different from the past, because, differently from tv, this is a real antropological revolution.
on 18 September 2015
Was not sure what to expect with these three short films but I enjoy watching the Weekly Swipe as Charlie Brooker is not only humorous but very observant and astute so I thought I'd give it a go. The first, The National Anthem was I think the best. My shock was as real as if it had actually happened and I found watching it tense, gripping, bleakly amusing and also sad. Brilliant cast, especially Rory Kinnear and Lindsay Duncan. Spotted some rising stars in the rest of the cast - later to be in Downton. The second was less successful and actually dragged and was quite boring. However, the talent show premise was scary and the judges - especially Rupert Everett were disturbing. Future Downton cast members also featured and the ideas for this 'talent show' future were thought provoking. The last episode recovered the series and presented another thought provoking episode with another strong cast.
on 6 April 2017
I was looking for an original TV-series to follow and had found the trailer interesting. How disappointed I was with these three first épisodes which all savours of the 1990s in terms of tempo and acting. It is not always original (and rarely enough) to simply revisit the past. Also, I found neither of the three storylines engaging or even original. Smacks of low budget to boost. A disappointment.
on 5 May 2017
This was highly recommended by a friend but we found the stories too far fetched
on 10 February 2013
Black Mirror has been one of the best things to hit TV ever. It is clever, well produced and really makes you think. So different to most TV shows, it really has earned it's placed. If you enjoy thought provoking programmes then this is for you. Artistically brilliant. I can't recommend this enough.
2 people found this helpful
on 5 August 2015
Absolutely gripping and well written and thought provoking. Would recommend for everyone and especially anyone interested in the world of technology.
on 8 September 2013
Well Charlie Brooker created a truly brilliant satirical look at modern culture. If you haven't watched this already do so, you will not be disappointed. However, don't go into this show expecting the episodes to have a happy ending or even an easy watch. We need more shows like this on television.

As for the distribution, it was delivered very quickly no complaints at all.
on 7 October 2017
A lot of needless swearing. Chucked it in the bin.
on 22 December 2014
Excellent.

Thought-provoking and original. Sci-fi as it should be - ie, without half of it given over to pointless Space battles or little fluffy aliens all in your face.