Charles Darwin's Beagle Diary Paperback – 11 Jun 2001
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the reviews: '… a record of his immediate feelings, the sea-sickness, the triumphs of his palaeontological finds, close shaves with General Rosas and military activity in Patagonia, drinking maté and smoking cigarilloes with the Gaucho, the stars glittering over the Andes … vivid and expressive…' Janet Browne
'Besides being an intriguing read, this book is a source of information that is invaluable to any student whose interest strays into the Darwin saga.' Open History
'What emerges more strongly are the vicissitudes of long distance travel in the 1830s … and a flavour of Darwin's own personality … the book is highly recommended.' Paul Ashtron, Biologist
A fascinating record of one of the most famous journeys ever made, providing an accurate historical document as well as an evocative travelogue that conveys Charles Darwin's personal account of the voyage with freshness and immediacy.See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
As a young naturalist Darwin went on board the Beagle to map and make observations of South America. One can only imagine how exciting it must have been for him to be around so much wildlife and new species , his senses must have been on overdrive all the time.
The book is a transcript from his diary with some illustrations ,more maps would have been welcome in this edition. A basic knowledge of Biology and geography is needed to fully appreciate this book.
Very good read.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Military
- Books > Biography > Historical > United States
- Books > Biography > Political > Britain
- Books > Biography > Political > United States
- Books > History > Other Historical Subjects > History of Science
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Evolution
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geology
- Books > Science & Nature > Nature
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Biology > Animal Sciences
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Geology