Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 February 2011
The Tao Te Ching (also called the Dao De Jing) was written some 2,500 years ago in China. The writer is credited as Lao-Tzu or "the Old Master". The Tao Te Ching itself is simply a book of 81 verses. `Change Your Thoughts: Change Your Life` contains every verse from Tao Te Ching. As there have been many translations into English, Dr Dyer has selected his favourite translation for each verse. After each verse are a few pages of Dr Dyer's own interpretations of the verse. He also suggests an action you can take to 'Do the Tao Now'. This is an excellent book for a beginner (like me) who has never read the Tao Te Ching before. Dr Dyer's comments are helpful as they provide a different viewpoint on each verse and gave greater meaning to some of the more paradoxical concepts.
Every verse has a profound and true point to make. The Tao Te Ching is a spiritual self-improvement document. I truly believe that if you implement the Tao Te Ching's advice, you will live a greatly richer and improved life. It is amazing that not one verse seems old or out of place in the 21st century, because the princliples of a fulfilling life are timeless.
Taoism is an excellent philosophy as it does not ask you to believe in any mythical beings or practise any specific rituals. All it does is give advice on what constitutes a happy and meaningful life. It is your choice to act on this advice. The virtues and 'problems' of life are shown through the (yin/yang) dual unity concept.
The Tao Te Ching gives advice on living happily, co-existing with others and being a good parent/leader.
This is a book EVERYONE must read. Dr Dyer's book is a great way to start!
on 8 May 2017
A very useful book that has inspired me ,It has changed my life in a positive way and helped me realise my thoughts ,relax and feel inner peace ,I recommend it for those who feel there is no hope for tomorrow and that they are alone and lost in this big world .
on 3 March 2010
The message of this book is simple and one that deep down each and every one of us knows but has forgotten. Let go of all control and suffering and simply be, when you do this life unfolds perfectly at its own pace.
11 Comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 April 2017
I was really disappointed to see that this is a collection of quotes rather than a proper book.
on 12 October 2016
Well written and researched book but still not easy to understand a lot of the stanas.
on 16 June 2017
Awesome writer, still influencial and... alive.
on 9 May 2017
Love Wayne Dyer, and this doesn't disappoint. He makes an ancient text easy to digest and applicable to today's world
on 30 May 2017
Not as good as expected
slow obviouse and realy not a great idea after the first ten pages you could skip the lot and still know what its about
Overall, I'm a bit disappointed with this book. I'd heard of Wayne Dyer and had reasonably high expectations for this book. The idea of presenting the Tao Te Ching in language intended to be more accessible to a Western reader sounded appealing.

The book is not awful, and it's not even bad... but for some reason, reading it makes me feel sort of down, rather than encouraged, uplifted, or enlightened. I think, for me, the book seems just a bit too American. ie, it's not really written so much for the Western reader, as for the American reader. I found it very difficult to relate to his presentation of some ideas, and I think the reason for this is two-fold:

1. it feels very much like a 'master speaks to student' sort of voice. Which, I've gathered from other interpretations I've read elsewhere, is contrary to the spirit of the text. I didn't get a feeling, as I was reading, that this was a fellow human who shared common human weaknesses, so much as a self-appointed sage who was trying to show the rest of us where we've got it wrong. Which I wouldn't actually mind, if his writing charmed me and I'd got enough of his personality to think 'This is one cool dude who I'd love to emulate' - but it was all sort of 'eh', so the outcome was a bit patronising (IMO) rather than beguiling.

2. A lot of his interpretations differ markedly from interpretations I've read elsewhere. Since I'm by no means an expert in the Tao, I don't want to go so far as to say, "He's wrong and everyone else I've ever read is right" - but his interpretation does feel rather more shallow to me than others I have read. As an example, he seems to translate 'ego' as being roughly equivalent to 'hubristic pride' and 'unexamined self interest'. Whereas most other books I've read seem to translate ego in this context as a belief in yourself as a separate entity.

I've given it three stars rather than two as it's still a lot better than a lot of the self-help dross out there, and it does have some very sensible advice, and perhaps a nugget of insight hidden in here and there.