Customer reviews

on 3 February 2015
Excellent manual - anyone will be a better solver after using it. I've been doing cryptics for many years but still found useful guidance here.
on 6 January 2015
A comprehensive book covering all that you will need to solve a cryptic crossword.
on 22 November 2014
An essential book for crossword fans
on 17 October 2016
I bought this book a few years ago and I still find it an invaluable tool and a reference tool for crossword puzzles. I love the cryptic puzzles especially the Guardian puzzles who have varying degrees of difficulty. If you haven't tried a cryptic puzzles it's handy to help recognise the tricks and devices used by the setters. For regular solvers who want to try the prize puzzles and advanced cryptic puzzles there's plenty of interesting information to help you. My only problem is that the barred grids are still out of my league but that's not the author's fault. I hadn't tried a cryptic puzzle in years but recently seeing as I had a bit of spare time I solved a Guardian crossword in an hour even though it was Monday's crossword. I tried Fridays puzzle and that can be fiendish but I spent about 10 hours on and off but still managed to solve it. I've never solved 2 puzzles from the Guardian in a week before!
I recommend this book highly. A bible for the crossword solver seasoned or novice
on 8 December 2014
An excellent manual for someone like myself who has a very basic knowledge of cryptics. It is a reference work that can be referred to as one wishes. It gives an interesting account of how to get to grips with cryptic crosswords as well as giving a historical account of the setters.
on 16 January 2015
The usual excellence expected Chambers with lots of good advice for solvers
on 30 December 2016
Very good. One complaint- I accidentally ordered a second copy and tried to stop its despatch but obviously my email disappeared in to space. as happens when it is convenient.
on 2 December 2015
I use this a lot - I'm a fanatical cruciverbalist!
on 1 December 2014
a weighty volume but fills all the boxes.
on 3 February 2015