Have one to sell?
The Chambers Crossword Dictionary, 4th Edition (Crosswords) Paperback – 11 Aug 2016
Note: This item is eligible for click and collect. Details
Pick up your parcel at a time and place that suits you.
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
This shopping feature will continue to load items. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Page 1 of 1 Start overPage 1 of 1
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The Chambers Crossword Dictionary is the crossword dictionary the setters use.
Welcome to the ultimate resource for all crossword lovers. The Chambers Crossword Dictionary is an essential resource for crosswords of all kinds. Comprehensive, reliable, easy-to-use and containing more than 500,000 solutions, it is the indispensable companion for all cruciverbalists.
From the Back Cover
The ultimate resource for all crossword lovers
The Chambers Crossword Dictionary is the essential resource for crosswords of all kinds. Comprehensive, reliable, easy-to-use and containing more than 500,000 solutions, it is the indispensable companion for all cruciverbalists.
Packed between its covers are more than 2,500 crossword code words alerting you to cryptic ploys. Also included are over 19,500 'one-stop' entries, with both synonyms and encyclopaedic material, for extra guidance in finding the right answer.
This edition contains a wealth of recent synonyms together with new topic lists to help you solve general-knowledge clues.
Advice and content from crossword experts
· Derek Arthur (1945-2010), co-editor of The Listener crossword in The Times and of The Chambers Crossword Dictionary, 2nd edition
· Ross Beresford, former co-editor of The Listener crossword
· Jonathan Crowther, better known to cryptic crossword solvers as Azed, having set crosswords for The Observer for over 40 years
· Don Manley, crossword setter for many quality newspapers under various pseudonyms (Duck, Quixote, Bradman, Giovanni) and Church Times crossword editor
· Tim Moorey, crossword setter for The Sunday Times,The Times, The Week and MoneyWeek, tutor for crossword-solving workshops, and author of How to Crack Cryptic Crosswords
· Peter Biddlecombe, The Sunday Times crossword editor and The Times Crossword Championship winner (2000, 2007)
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
29 October 2016
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I would have given it 5 stars had it been bigger than previous editions but saying that it's still a handy reference tool for lovers of cryptic crosswords. I keep finding helpful answers for the tricky 4 or 5 letter clues that would otherwise prevent me from completing the crossword. Call time (4) answer: term. I was stumped. Thank you Chambers. Still a required reference book for most word puzzles especially the cryptics
6 May 2017
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
So nice to have a REAL book in my hands again as opposed to the softback format which is unsuited to a volume of this size. My 10-year old softback died. This is a delightful replacement. I read complaints about print size. Not true.
18 June 2017
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Bought to replace my old Chambers crossword dictionary which has fallen to pieces after much use. Just as good as old one and no problem with reading the print even though my eyesight not so good now. Pleased with my purchase and highly recommend.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Delighted with Dictionary as I have been using the Chambers 2001 edition for years and it's now a bit fragile due to overuse.
For anyone who doesn't know what exactly a crossword dictionary is, here's a pic
Very disappointed pages missing fortunately I have the second edition