Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 22 May 2017
We bought two of these books at presents, one was OK, the other which was given recently has pages that were folded before printing, so we are not too pleased with this one and would like to return it for a product that does not have this defect.
on 30 June 2016
Several years ago my wife and I used the paperback ‘Chamber’s Crossword Compiler’ to the point of virtual disintegration. I tried to replace it but it was out of print. Remember the aim is to help identify a word partly filled-in – e.g. _r_ s_ _ _ _. I turned to online substitutes which, unfortunately, often include NON-EXISTENT words and irritate the user by asking, ‘Did you mean.......?’ No I did not! So I returned to the battered edition and in despair sought a replacement. Fantastic! A new HARDBACK edition. I bought it and found that I agree with both the reviewers who give it top marks and those who declare they can’t use it and here’s why – and I’ll use the word ‘crossword’ and UPPER-CASE to stand for BOLD in my review.
Firstly, the good details. I think it’s an improvement in placing the ODD letters in section 1 and the EVEN letters in section 2. The use of BOLD (here shown by UPPER-CASE) really helps as it concentrates the eye are the target letters. So the word ‘crossword’ in section 1 would be ‘CrOsSwOrD’ and in section 2 would be ‘cRoSsWoRd’. The book has an enormous number of words – and perhaps some are non-existent – and the headings help isolate the targets (clearly separated by the number of letters in a word).
In reply to some critics that the book is confusing I’d stress that the user must have an idea of the USAGE of the target word before they use this book. Here’s a (poor?) clue to an 8-letter word: ‘Starts a row or keeps you quiet’, and you have this _ _ _ S _ W _ _ _. At the worst you start in section 2 hunting for any word with ‘S’ as the 4th and ‘W’ as the 6th letters – ASW, BSW, CSW........ and you’ll have some way to go! But you should be looking for a word relating to ‘row’ and/ or ‘quiet’.
Now for my major criticism. The book uses BOLD to distinguish the target letters but the other letters I found almost impossible to identify because of the light-grey font used. That’s because of my personal sight defects. Of course, if a darker-grey were used the target letters would stand out less. My solution has been to use a magnifying glass; perhaps the use of a coloured shield (e.g. yellow or blue transparent paper) would help people with other problems.
So my score for this VERY useful book has to be 3 stars.
on 9 March 2014
I am disappointed with this purchase. I do not find it easy to use and much prefer Chambers Crossword Dictionary.
on 22 October 2014
How can you be a crossword lover without this book? My previous copy had fallen apart through overuse so this hard back one is great!
on 17 October 2014
For anyone who loves crosswords, this is an indispensable book. It is the solution to almost everything.
on 21 December 2014
Great help in solving some difficult clues in our crosswords this is our second one
on 3 February 2015
Really useful - don't know how we managed before!
on 28 December 2013
This remains the most helpful single volume when it comes to crosswords. This is a handsome, hardback edition. This is a great improvement-previously one had to buy a flimsy paperback edition annually. Excellent.
on 16 February 2015
Couldn't understand how it worked !!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 March 2015
Perfect in both books !!!