Customer reviews

on 1 April 2003
I bought this book several years ago when I'd a lot of programming knowledge but no knowledge of writing programs for the web. I found it excellent and immediately was able to write simple CGI scripts.
After several years of working with ASP I've come back to CGI and found this book just as invaluable as the first time round. Although it explains things from the very basics, it does cover intermediate topics too and is definitely a good starting point for learning CGI when you know how to program.
on 4 December 2003
I bought this book because I needed to learn Perl and CGI really fast. This book really saved me. Even thought English is not my native language this book was really easy to read and it covers all of the things a programmers needs to make a "common" web page with perl. It is the best for what it is ment to be. The best for beginners buy it with closed eyes!
on 5 October 2000
I downloaded a preview version of this book whilst Jackie was still writing it and I had no knowledge of CGI/Perl. This book is a life saver. It takes you from the beginnings of Perl and leaves you with an excellent foundation for learning more advanced topics in future. It's priceless to the newcomer and an invaluable reference for the expert. How good is it? Well, let's put it this way, after six months intensive study, I submitted my BSc Computer Science project which was written soley in Perl and I got a B grade -- all thanks to Jackie! What are you waiting for? BUY THIS NOW!
on 16 September 2000
This book is what started me off with Cgi & Perl, which has now become my profession. Perfect for beginners with little experience in other languages such as basic, c, pascal.
During the last months ive bought a few books about the subject CGI using Perl. This book has a lot of examples, but the authour don't explain the code line for line like other books on CGI/PERL i've read. It dosent cover much since it has only 224 pages. If you are new to CGI and want to get full value for the price, I would recommend to buy CGI for the World Wide Web instead.
on 28 September 2014
Just what I needed in perfest condition
on 15 June 2000
If you are roughly familiar with CGI then this book is great as it covers a lot of subjects in a short time. However because of this it makes newbies to CGI lose track of what they are actually doing as it jumps from one section to another very quickly without much explanation.