- Paperback: 436 pages
- Publisher: University of Chicago Press (5 May 2000)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0226503410
- ISBN-13: 978-0226503417
- Product Dimensions: 21.6 x 3.3 x 27.9 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (3 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 956,485 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Cetacean Societies: Field Studies of Dolphins and Whales Paperback – 5 May 2000
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
About the Author
Janet Mann is professor of biology and psychology at Georgetown University.
Hal Whitehead is a University Research Professor in the Department of Biology at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Top Customer Reviews
The book is sectioned into three parts; (1) The history and methods, long term studies, observational methods and innovative techniques of study into cetacean societies; (2) A profile of four species, bottlenose dolphins, killer whales, sperm whales and humpback whales; (3) Comparative studies, theory and conservation, covering aspects such as group living, reproductive strategies, communication, conservation, protection and management.
Illustrated throughout with photographs, diagrams and appropriate representations of data from research studies, the book is written by some of the world's leading cetacean scientists. It is a treasure trove of references and absolutely invaluable for anyone wishing to make sense of the social lives of whales and dolphins.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Behaviour
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Habitats
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Mammals
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Marine Life
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Hydrobiology
- Books > Science & Nature > Environment & Ecology > Ecology > Animal Ecology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Biology > Animal Sciences