Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

on 19 February 2003
Although I'm an experienced Unix systems administrator I bought this book to guide me through the nuances of Red Hat Linux (of which there are many) in preparation for the RHCE exam. Although the tone of the book aims it at people coming from a Microsoft background, this doesn't stop it being useful to more seasoned Unix folk.
The style is relaxed and informal, and while this makes the book very readable it can also lead to confusion, with seemingly unrelated topics following on from one another (we jump from mount options to RPM management to run levels in sequential subsections). This is not a major problem, however, as the subsections themselves are succinct and don't go into too much detail where it isn't required.
The main area that lets this book down is quality control. I wouldn't be surprised if the closest this book has come to a proofreader is a cursory spell-check. Picture captions are transposed and duplicated, incorrect commands are given as examples, filenames are mangled and all sorts of other errors are spread throughout the book. This is *unforgivable* in a text designed to put people through an exam, and for this reason alone I would recommend RHCE hopefuls to consider other options before buying a copy.
on 2 January 2008
Generally, it is a good review of what you need to know, in order to pass the RHCT/RHCE exams. However, from an editor's point of view I am not impressed considering a number of typos of minor importance (such as for example the link for the Distributed Intrusion Detection System on page 274) to serious omissions and mistakes.

One of the most serious omissions IMHO lies in the discussion of quota controls (pages 290-301). It goes all the way to set the quotas and mentions the function of quotacheck, but where is the 'quotaon' command to enforce the quotas and allow the quota protection? Both the text of the 'Setting Up and Managing Disk Quotas' section as well as exercise 6-3 do not explain that quotaon needs to be issued. The main text mentions that the command is run by /etc/rc.sysinit, but if someone makes changes without rebooting the system and follows Exercise 6-3, then he could easily miss the importance.

I am also unclear about the accuracy of the IPv6 Addressing section (pages 39 and 40). I appreciate that this is not a networking primer book, but they should discuss also 'anycast' addresses (not only Unicast and Multicast) and clear/correct the confusion between Link Local and 'Site Local' address portions. I am not sure how this would impact the candidate (probably it won't), but for the purposes of accuracy things should be written in a better way.

I would give the author thumbs up! Thumbs down to the editors and proof readers of the publishing company. They rushed the book to the market. Everybody does that, but they have really left too many bits that need fixing.
on 11 November 2002
I found this book an in-depth knowledge and preparation of RHCE RH302 that covers all three parts of RedHat Exam. The best thing about this book is Exercises, ExamWatch, Drills and Q&A that test your understanding about each topic. Over 300 exams practice questions, covers the Latest release of RedHat 8.0 and Linux kernel 2.4.19. Try this book you will find the Best book about RHCE certification exam.
on 7 June 2004
I recently gained my RHCE in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3. Micheal Jang as ever provides a concise reference and essential study points to achieve the intended goal of gaining a head start in passing your RHCE. I originally purchased his previous book based on Red Hat 8 with hints for RH9 based on its beta release. When the time came to complete my RHCE course, I decided that I had better be as forewarned as possible and bought this also. It proved extremely useful. Definately worth a try. A quick hint for RHCE candidates, stick with RH9 unless you can get a copy of RHEL3. The command syntax is basically the same, there are only slight differences i.e. vsftpd as your ftp server, but if you want to know more, read the book!! Good luck
on 28 July 2005
I read this book three times before taking the course and exam. It is based on RHEL 3 but it is still relevant now the exam is using RHEL 4. Easy to read with good examples and good tips. I passed first time.
on 4 April 2003
Easy read and accurate. If you want to take the exam or just expand your knowlegde this is worth a look
on 18 February 2007
This book is near 3 yers old (30 April 2004) The other reviews here are nearly 2 years old. How relevant this is to the current exam is not known. Book definately feels old with references to Fedora 1 when now its Fedora 6. If I had seen it covers RHEL 3 together with the fact that it is 3 years old I dont think I would have bought it.
on 27 October 2008
I've passed the RHEL3 and RHEL5 versions of the RHCE exam using the fourth and fifth editions of this book respectively as my primary study resource.

My only criticisms are minor: it may have been the edition of RHEL that I was using (5.1) but it seemed to me that the section on SAMBA was slightly out of date, in particular around the storage of passwords using smbpasswd. I also felt that more examples of the use of iptables would have been beneficial.

The coverage of possible exam topics is comprehensive and the book is well-structured and the subject matter clearly presented. The "two-minute drills" and lab exercises come in very handy as last-minute refreshers.

Overall, this is an excellent resource for anyone taking the RHCE exam from a very accomplished technical author.
on 17 February 2010
This book is ok but it doesnt go into details as much as its competitor Red Hat® Certified Technician & Engineer (RHCT and RHCE) Training Guide and Administrator's Reference. If you are going to get a RHCE-certifcation though I suggest you buy both books since they
in some parts have a slightly different approach and I promise you, you need all the approaches you can get for the exam!
I managed to get a RHCE by only reading this 2 books and solving the prepquestions at Redhats website. (however I been in to linux for 17 years)
on 30 March 2009
I was fortunate to be able to do the official Red Hat RH133 RHCT training course, and although it would be quite possible to pass the demanding 3 hr exam using just this book - this book plus the course is a sure-fire way into the world of Red Hatsysadmin - or any LINUX given the general similarities.

Note that thorough knowledge of the RHCE pre-requisites (summarised in Chapter 1) is important before undertaking the course - you'll be left behind without this for sure. The Linux Phrasebook is recommended for this foundation material.