Style Name: 80LCM Refractor|Change
Price:£209.00+ Free shipping

on 12 February 2012
Have had a bit of a nightmare, the telescope went anywhere it wanted, finally realised the problem was my fault I entered the time in the traditional way of for example 11/02/12 rather than 02/11/12, the American and Canadian way! Just something to bear in mind it can easily happen. Have located Venus from my back garden in below zero temperatures manually, it's surprising how quickly it went out of the field of view so having it do it for you must be a good idea. While on the subject of cold weather the LCD display didn't seem to care for it much and seemed to freeze up a bit but then again so was I. Reading the instructions seems easy enough but needs practice so a bit of patience will be needed, not always one of my strongpoints.
To sum up, I am looking forward in getting to use my new telescope but it will take a while, several months possibly to fully appreciate it and waiting for clear and reasonable weather.

Hello! This is an addition to my first review, today Is 28 Feb 2012.
I have now had a chance to try it out, still not fully but. I am getting there. For the money when telescopes can run into hundreds and thousands of pounds I think is is a great buy. I tried it out in "Solar system align" where I focused it on the moon using the low power lens (25mm) and the image came up very clearly, even my wife seemed impressed when she looked through it!

Then I got it to focus first on Venus and then on Jupiter wondering whether or not it would but it did very well I have to say which I was quite impressed with!

Working through the manual isn't too difficult once you get into the swing of things but for a beginner like me took a while as does aligning the finder scope. Also my scope needed "collimating" ie the mirrors aligning which sounds a bit daunting but again with practice you will soon get the hang of it. Perhaps with others this will not be required but it will certainly be worth checking. All of this is part of the learning curve of course.

One other thing, don't expect when looking at say the planet Jupiter even with a higher magnification eye piece that it is going to seem as if a great big stripy beach ball is about to land in your back garden, it' not going to happen! I am guessing that even for a scope costing more the view will be better i'm sure but probably not that much better. I most expensive Celestron scope. I have come across on the net is just over £12000! For that kind of Money I WOULD expect Jupiter to look as though it was in my backgarden. However a program I have on my I pad suggests that looking at the Andromeda galaxy etc. it will fill the field of view even with the low power eye piece.

For an idea of what to expect. I suggest going on You Tube and typing in something like "Venus 114 mm telescope" etc and/or go onto a telescope simulator website found using your favourite search engine where you can get a simulated view of different size telescopes and different lenses.

I live in a built up area and light pollution is quite bad, it is possible to buy a light pollution filter to help with the problem, trouble is they can cost about half the price of the scope which would be ridiculous, others are available for about £30 which is more reasonable but are unlikely I suppose to be as good, only time will tell.

I think this is a great scope and I think, and I may be wrong here, that if I upgraded to a better one Then I would have to spend 4 or 5 times as much to make an appreciable difference :) a certain dexterity however is needed to operate this and I'm sure any telescope, but the results are worth it!
If you expect instant results just because this is a computerised telescope then think again the goto feature certainly helps in my opinion, once you have found a star or planet the motorised mount keeps up with it pretty well but it still requires you to focus (pun intended!) and to read the manual Properly, and I do mean properly. A telescope isn't for example an iPad where you turn it on and you automatically get that "WOW" factor. Am I glad I bought it ? Yes absolutely!

But it needs more dedication and perseverance and is more challenging than I first thought ,also don't be deterred by first results, for instance it might seem clear and dark to our eyes but give it an hour or so and hey presto, much better! I never took as much notice of the weather as I do now, it can be overcast but an hour later- clear skies! And darker! Bingo! A planet like Venus which just looked a small point of light, when the sun goes down properly takes it's real appearance, but it has phases like the moon, not necessarily completely illuminated, so much to learn!
Now I have got used to this telescope setting up is not a problem, takes about 10 minutes if it's all ready to go.

6 March- just seen Mars, great, this is the closest it will be until 2018 apparently! I think I saw one of it's moons as well, or was it just wishfull thinking? Not sure!
Anyway, this is my umpteenth edit, as I am sure you can tell buying this has certainly got my ageing brain cells going, must be a good thing, hope my waffling helps! Thanks for reading.
1212 comments| 211 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 August 2011
Great Computerised telescope, best one that i've owned so far, been doing astronomy for 5 years now.
The first one had a problem with the motor head and burnt out, but got in contact with amazon and they sent me out a new one before they even got the old one back. Now thats what i call trust and service, you cant beat amazon, e-bay no way, amazon all the way.

The telescope does what it says on the tin, and has great features such as solar system align, which is great if you are a beginner, just make sure you read the instructions properly before you start pressing buttons as easy to set up if you do it 'by the book'.

All in all though a great product, thanks again amazon for the service you provide.
0Comment| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 June 2012
I was given this telescope at Xmas but it was not until very recently that I have managed to use it properly. The problem for me was the finderscope.

This is small view finder on the side of the telescope. It 'places' a red dot on the sky and enables you to line up the main scope with an object of theory...but if you, like me, wear bifocals because you are shortsighted and also have problems reading small print with your specs, then you are in trouble since you cannot see both the star (far away) and the red dot (very close) at the same time. Without being able to use the finderscope, setting up the computerised telescope was almost impossible.

I have since found an expensive but very effective solution. I purchased a Telrad (another excellent type of finderscope) that sticks to the side of the main scope. Now setting up is easy and I am really enjoying getting to know my scope. The first time I saw the rings of Saturn, I actually squealed. I love it now. One final little hint that helped me - learn to use the Rate button on the controller to enable fine adjustment of movement.
77 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 June 2013
I had the use of one of these telescopes for a week whilst on annual leave last December. I had previously owned a couple of GOTO rigs including the Skywatcher Synscan GOTO and my current IOptron MiniTower so was interested in how this low cost Celestron model would compare.

First off, this is the lowest end 60mm model in the LCM range. Apreture is king with telescopes and a 60mm aperture is only going to show you so much detail both in terms of planetary detail or in it's ability to view deep space objects. Having said that, this is a very well made 60mm scope which has good quality glass and comes with a couple of decent achromat eyepieces (a 25mm widefield and a 9mm high power). These aren't on par with more expensive plossl eyepieces but they are much better than the Huygens types that often come with cheaper telescopes. The views are nice and sharp with chromatic aberation reasonably well controlled. The 9mm gives approximately 80x magnification which is nearing the limit of this scope's comfort zone. The eyepieces are the standard 1.25" size which means that adding additional optical accessories is easy to do. The telescope tube has a focal ratio of f12 which means that it is better on the moon and planets. I was easily able to make out Jupiter's 4 largest moons and even a little surface detail. Very nice views of the lunar surface were also easy to spot plus some of the brighter deep space astronomical objects like the Andromeda Galaxy.

The real item of interest is the GOTO mount however. This has a lot of nice design features and has a couple of improvements over the Skywatcher and the older Celestron Mounts. The mount has a standard dovetail bar clamp and so could be used with a number of different telescope tubes. The clamp's position means that the scope tube is kept away from the mount base which prevents snagging. Another neat feature is the internal battery compartment which means that there is no additional battery pack hanging off of the mount. The tripod itself is very lightweight which is a mixed blessing since it makes the entire rig very portable but vulnerable to cross winds. I found that sticking a rock on the accessory tray cured this and made the whole thing much more stable. This isn't a particularly heavy duty mount though and I don't think that it would suitable for use with anything much bigger than an 80mm refractor scope.

The GOTO is very accurate once the scope is properly aligned. I found the alignment process was straighforward and easier than on the Skywatcher.

At this kind of money, it is very hard to beat.
on 22 January 2014
I purchased this product now that I have retired, and both my wife and I wanted a fairly cheap, portable and easy to use telescope for looking at the stars up on the moors. This telescope seemed to fit the bill and we decided to buy it from Amazon. When it arrived I proceeded to set it up at home to get the hang of doing it. All the pieces of the telescope were all included, so that was OK, and following the quick start guide was easy and I has the telescope was unpacked set up in 15 minutes! I also read the full manual; I tend to do this sort of thing!
OK so far, that night the sky was clear so we put the telescope in and old duvet in the car so as not to get it out of alignment and we went up on the moors and that’s when the troubles started. Oh the telescope worked very well but trying to get it set up on stars so that we could do the star alignment was virtually impossible. The trouble was the wretched StarPointer, its rubbish; we could not get anywhere near getting a star in the main scope at all. I had to sight down the telescope body to roughly line up a star then hunt for it in the eyepiece. It took two hours just to get the star alignment done, and by then we were cold and fed up so we decided to go home, very disappointing.
Forget what it says in the manual about the StarPointer, it is inaccurate, for a start the pointer does not have one red dot but two! The manual is vague and does not tell you that you have to move your eye point until both dots line up, and you have to keep doing this until you get both dots and the star lined up after pre-positioning the star in the main scope. It took a lot of investigation on the internet, and figuring out to solve this problem. The advice on the Celestron site about lining up the Star Pointer in daylight makes sense (and it’s not in the manual!) but the only problem with that is the two red dots disappear in the bright light, so I did the lining up after dark using distant street lights, yet to prove this has worked as clouds and rain are stopping play. The whole StarPointer matter, in my opinion very fiddly and absolutely time wasting and messy. Also it could be a bit higher (1/2 inch?) to allow for people who wear glasses, which I do.
So in conclusion the telescope is fine except for the above mentioned and that is reflected in the 3 star rating, it’s a shame to spoil a good package with one small item.
on 13 March 2013
This is a a good scope and well worth the money. The only thing that has let it down so far is the inadequate finder scope, which I have replaced with a Telrad with good results. I would have given it 5 stars if it wasn't for that.

Easy to assemble and worth reading the instructions for set-up. It makes things easier as you progress. Having said that, I've only managed 'solar system align' so far due to the levels of light pollution in my area. I will have to find a better observing site soon. However, that was painless and easy and then I took a bit of the computer guided tour before returning to Jupiter. It's moons are clearly visible with a 25mm lens and I saw the cloud bands faintly using a 2 x Barlow and a 6mm lens.

I bought this primarily because of its portability and it delivers well on that front. It is light and easy to move around. The scope detaches from the mount quickly and the tripod is collapsible. Ideal for popping in the boot and a quick re-assemble at the other end. Just what was required. Takes 8 AA batteries and I've been using rechargable ones. They seem to last a reasonable amount of time.

Good fun getting to know this scope and so far it's done everything it says it will do. Lots of fun to be had ahead.
on 5 March 2013
The telescope is solidly-constructed, perhaps a taller tripod might have been nice as there's a fair bit of crouching on the floor involved to see objects overheard or at least high in the sky.
It took me a while to get to try it properly as we seem to get one night per week that's clear at the moment. It also took a while to work out the best method to calibrate it, the telescope arrives believing you're in the US but having finally entered the longitude and latitude and made a note of some of the best stars to use to set it up, I was finally able to let it work.
The tripod does move slightly as you're focusing, perhaps because our decking isn't rock-solid, and I've still not got up at 2am to get a decent look at Saturn. But my first view of the moon and of Jupiter was enough to make me realise: this is a way, way better telescope than I had as a kid and very good value for money. The only reason I didn't give it five stars is its inability to remember the time, date etc. You have to keep reminding it of this stuff each time you turn on. Plus, the orange backlit handset isn't very easy to read - you still need a torch to read it properly. But these are the minor niggles of an older gentleman and wouldn't put me off buying the very same 'scope again.
on 18 February 2013
I really like this little scope, and for the price have no real complaints, other than the finder scope, which just doesn't work for me . I have taken the finder off one my other scopes to use instead, and with this, and using the 3 star set up system you can get some good results. Astronomy does take a lot of patience, and I wouldn't recommend this as a first scope, try a smaller refractor for that. However once this is set up, and you have the motor drive adjusted to your preferred speed it performs well. It is easy to transport, folds small, with little fuss, and is fairly robust. All in all I am happy with my purchase.
on 21 January 2012
this was my second teliscope that i had got, the first one that i got was a manuel telicope. this teliscope took some getting used to, with all the controles on the hand set and everything but once you are used to it then it is amazing. the views and sights that i have already seen are fab, i have already seen stars like betelguese and planets like juipter in about 4 days of me getting it. if it is your first telicope than it will be perfect.

the only down point to the telicope some people says that the tripod is unsteady and the image is shaky, but this doesnt matter and i havnt knowtist this, it doesnt matter anyway because images shake because you are looking through earth atmosphere.

also just to go along with this telicope i would recomend the celestron eye piece kit, because you will only get two eye pieces with this telicope and they are fab but you will need more to look at other items.

no doubts this is an amazing piece of kit
66 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 December 2014
Sooo far, :)

Telescope was very easy to put together, box protected device well. Put together in a little under half an hour.

My Biggest Bug

Slightly annoying it requires 8 AA batteries, "there is no power supply with". The manual is suppose to cover multiple versions of this telescope and yet mentions one power supply rating required. Having looks on the website for Celestron, the manual says 240v AC to 12v DC 7500mA, where as the site says either 5000mA or 2500mA little confusing for any novice. Too much current equals bad news.
There's also options for a cigarette lighter power supply, along with a £70 power battery. Lord knows how long these 8 AA batteries are going to last, you maybe wondering why I concentrate on this and why this would be an issue, well because I got this for its GOTO facility, but if on the move with no power, was hoping could switch to manual control of stand/telescope, with this unfortunately not, it always requires power regardless of location even to use normally. So would have to buy a power supply in order to use without risk of no batteries, £20 approx for one I hope won't fry my telescope.

Next Bug

No computer link up cable either, although there are cd's with, once you manage to buy the cables, you might then be able to utilise and see how useful the GOTO side of thinks could be. A further £20 off ebay if I decide to keep the telescope.

It has 2 lens as already stated, used only the 25mm one.

The alignment process from what I've seen soo far has 3 options, 3 Star Align, 2 Star Align, 1 Star Align.
It states in the manual align red dots up with any star, not very clear on where your suppose to position your head whilest doing this, once this done u then align telescope. You do this 3 times for 3 stars, and walla telescope suppose to be aligned.

Also says you don't need to know any Star when first aligning, because of the red dots and not knowing where to position head when aligning makes it difficult to align in first star let alone 3. So switched to 1 star align, a long list of Stars appears that your suppose to choose from. As it was freezing outside ended up binning off alignment all together and simply picked up telescope and moved round myself to face Moon.
Finally something good to write about, the Moon itself even with the 25mm Lens looked amazing, craters in all their glory.

I am however slightly worried by what I could see of the other stars, I could see stars I couldn't normally see, but whether I'll actually be able to see Jupiter's Rings is another matter.

Here's hoping with it being the first set up of this device, it is down to user error and things will became more apparent as time goes on.
Hope this is helpful to anyone making a choice on which to buy.

Further update,

Ac power supply for this telescope is 50 to 60Hz, 200 to 240v Ac to 12v Dc at 2.5 Amps for any ones information/requirements, eventually found this out.
Also bought USB to RS 232 adaptor for control of.
Will need to download following programs :-

USB Convertor software, this depends on make/model of, run this first, mine set itself to port 16, via the usb. Restart computer once installed.
CFM_1.9.4315 Celestron Firmware manager, this will update your telescope automatically, the other software is now out of date only need to run this one. May need to turn telescope off a few times for program to recognize and auto update.
NexRemote Telescope control software from Celestron website, this allows control on laptop.

Once all this done, speeds up motor allows complete control via laptop, another point you can even rig up a ps3 or equivalent gaming controller to laptop or even mobile phone to control.
in order to control, may need other software for given chosen route of control, app etc.

Will need separate camera if you wish to relay video or view of telescope to tv or laptop.

This telescope will allow all this, eventually realizing the potential
Lens with, do good enough job to begin with, lens can be added to improve later.
Hope this helps anyone, potential to be brilliant via above.