on 16 September 2011
After gazing at the stars for months with binoculars I was looking to invest in a scope, I was looking for something portable, affordable and most importantly something that produces nice views. After looking at tons and tons of scopes I decided to buy the one I kept looking at over and over again and I must say that was a great decision. The eyepeices are great, even the 4mm one, I have seen 2 cloud bands on jupiter and its moons, crators on the earths moon and even the rings of saturn...and there are so many more things to see. This is great value for money and is not a child scope for those who claim it is....it is a finely manafactured peice of modern technology that should belong to anyone with astronomy as a hobby. I strongly recommend you buy the accesory kit aswell!!!!!!!!! So in conclusion don't listen to all these people who criticize this scope (I listened to them and that is why it took me 2 months to decide on a scope) go with what suits you and your needs, if you think this is the one for you then buy it, its not that expensive anyway!!!!!!!!!
Clear skies to all!!!
on 14 January 2012
I already have a large good quality 1000mm german made SEBEN telescope [with poor lenses]on a tripod and it can be a bit much to set it up and carry around the rooms and to the garden so i bought this one,if i had bought this one first i would not have bought the large one as this is a brilliant little telescope,fortunatly my eyepiece lenses from the large scope fit this so this CELESTRON so it gets used the most.Dont think that this is a toy or just for kids,it is a serious piece of kit,with the right eyepieces [i recommend PLOSSL eye piece lenses] which can be bought from ebay [4 for £40] which is a brilliant price as i bought some and are good quality.I bought these PLOSSL lenses and recommend buying- 1 X 25MM - 1 X 15MM - 1 X 10MM and 1 X 6.5MM,the smaller the number the more powerful the magnification.I dont recommend buying any lense below 6.5MM.Also a 2 or 3 x power BARLOW lense can be helpful as it makes your lense more powerful,dont buy cheap ones,pay £20+ for metal bodied ones with 2 lenses as cheap plastic ones are pretty useless.The lenses make the telescope not the other way round,this telescope comes with pretty good lenses but you will get more enjoyment from it with better and a larger range of lenses.I highly recommend.I hope i have been helpful.
55 comments| 133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 September 2011
I got this telescope from amazon via sherwoods fantastic service. Im 49 and just starting in star-gazing and this little scope is 1st class to start with.
Fantastic value and very clear lens. To see jupiter and 3 of it's moons on my 1st night was amazing.
When you look at the moon it's so bright that you will need a moon filter.
Im now hooked for life.
Go on give it a go you will have fun and puts a smile on your face.
karl
on 28 February 2011
Small but quite good,,straight from the box that evenong the moon came out and was a good time to have a look.
The small scope was very good in revealing craters on the moon as well as been quite easy to target useing the dobsonian base.
Both the lenses were clean viewing and gave a good sharp image.
I normally use a 150 mm scope and have several others that come out from time to time.this one will more than likely go into the car and travel with me just to "have a look" on my travels.
For the money is is a good very basic small telescope and not so much a toy but a nice little portable tool.
22 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 June 2011
Bought for my 8 year old daughter.

Great simple design best used on a solid table.

Easy to use for children. Much better than long tubed refractor telescopes on tripods

Good tube cover protects the mirror when not in use

Can see the Galilean moons of Jupiter with this. For terrestrial use objects are upside down
on 22 January 2011
Having read many horror stories about many children's telescopes being a waste of money. I bought this one for my 6 year old as I found it had all positive feedback. To cut a long story short, it is an excellent 'straight out of the box' telescope with simple adjustment controls. The image through the eye piece is very clear. I have no idea what the DVD included is like as it got lost before we had a chance to watch it.
The images on the side of the box are somewhat misleading as the magnification of the two lenses are no where near strong enough to produce as detailed a view of Jupiter as illustrated but don't let this put you off. With a stronger lens, maybe?
We have seen Jupiter and just about picked out some colour variation and it's rotation. Also 4, maybe 5 of Jupiter's moons.
Our Moon is the easiest to view, and with the 4mm lens it fills the viewing area and detail is excellent, craters galore!
I'm sure Saturn's rings will be clearly visible and we are looking forward to viewing this.
The scope is very robust, however, effective operation requires a delicate hand and a good level of patience.
One word of caution - don't drop the 4mm lens in the housing as far as it will go. It'll get stuck and when you've spent time lining the scope to an object in the sky, you don't want to be having to tip it upside down to get the lens out! Tighten the locking nuts to secure the lens just short of full way in so you can get your fingers under to lift it out.
As I'm sure with all scopes, practice make perfect. This scope is defiantly worth the time practising with and will hopefully be enjoyed for years to come.
on 24 January 2011
Compared to any telescope under £50 I have used, the image and build quality are superb, and importantly it takes mere seconds to set up. If you have a child interested in astronomy this is perfect. The image quality does improve with better quality lenses, but the ones supplied are perfect for a beginner.
on 2 January 2012
I've owned a cheap scope (£30) before and it was awful, so bad that after a few uses it got packed away and forgotten about. So I wasn't sure about getting another cheap scope but times are hard, so trusting the reviewers of Amazon I went for the Celestron Firstscope which I've had for about a month now and I'm glad to say it's infinately better than my old scope. Hardly any setting up required, just pop in the eye piece and off you go. Great views of the moon and major planets including Jupiter and its moons which are out at the moment.

If like me you're after an inexpensive scope for some fun but still want decent quality this is by far the best scope in this price range. I paid about £45 for mine so be wary of people selling them for £70 and above. This is the only 'cheap scope' I'd reccomend, if you're more of a serious astronomer (or hope to be one day) you may be better off going for a much more expensive scope (£200+)

Parents, this is a great scope for kids as it's so easy to use and pretty sturdy too, although be warned, after this they may get the taste for astronomy and be asking santa for a £300 scope next year!
on 6 December 2009
So, the boy wants a telescope. It has to be easy to use, else it won't get used. It has to be cheap(ish) else you'll be cursing if (or when) the expensive kit gets sidelined if he loses interest. So, along comes this nifty little one. Sure the lenses aren't Carl Zeiss and it looks a bit clunky but it is set up in a jiffy, the lenses are easy to swap in and out and you can store it away in a handy sack. If he gets really interested then shell out the big spondoolicks - otherwise this hits the mark!
on 12 November 2011
This is not a powerful telescope, nor does it have particularly good optics. If you want a scope like that, expect to pay hundreds of pounds.

However, if you're just looking for a cheap entry-level scope, this one is damn near perfect.

It's a great introduction to telescopes, because despite its diminutive size it's a fully-functioning reflector. It comes with two eyepieces which provide 15x and 75x magnification respectively. These fit into a focus mount which can take other, higher quality lenses, should you want to invest later on. It attaches to a stirdy Dobsonion mount, and you can attach a finderscope to the side, should you choose to buy one separately.

At 75x magnification, Jupiter appears as a tiny milky-coloured disc accompanied by four pinprick-sized moons. Even in heavily light-polluted skies, I can see two dark bands on the planet's surface.

The scope is particularly good for looking at the moon.

Considering what you get for the price (£34.00 when I bought it), this scope deserves five stars.