on 18 July 2017
Lovely verses that I remember from childhood and which still make me smile. The problem with the Kindle version is that the drawings cause the print to be squashed ... so perhaps only three words per line, which makes it very difficult to read. I will return to my dog eared print version. The formatting just doesn't work on Kindle - either in landscape or portrait view.
2 people found this helpful
on 20 March 2018
My mother read this book to me when I was very young. She chose the tale about Jim but only knew the first 4 lines so I thought that was all there was. Many years later, this became the inspiration for me to write my own books in the same rhyming couplets style. Along with my friend who is a wonderful illustrator, we just launched the first two books in a series called Two Unlikely Friends which features animals who couldn't possibly know one another to overcome a challenge or adversity. Please take a look and I hope you enjoy them even a fraction of how much we enjoyed their creation.

Ocho and Bao Bao's Masterpiece: Volume 1 (Two Unlikely Friends)

Presley and Allie's African Barbeque: Two Unlikely Friends: Volume 2
on 30 January 2011
It was such a pleasure to read this book again. It was a staple of my childhood, and many of the hilarious (and wildly politically incorrect) verses are stuck forever in my memory, as are the quirky illustrations. Hilaire Belloc is ridiculously xenophobic, but - provided you can excuse him on the grounds that he wrote it in a very different age - wonderfully funny.

This is a book for a child aged around 8-10 (and for retarded adults like me) with a good sense of humour and history,and a strong feeling for words. I gave it to the son of a friend, and was delighted to see how much he enjoyed it.
12 people found this helpful
on 22 March 2017
A very thin book, so one can assume this is just a small selection of Belloc's cautionary tales. My wife remembers a big tome from her childhood so I will have to look around for the complete set. But my youngest likes these.

If anyone knows which is the most complete set please post a review informing people. Thanks
on 28 December 2016
The text is just as remember it from almost 60 years ago when I learnt 'Jim' by heart. I was sadly disappointed by the illustrations which are so small as to be not worth printing. The originals are much bigger in my book which I found soon after downloading this version. Despite this reservation its still ok value at 49p
One person found this helpful
on 20 October 2013
I had this book as a child, and enjoyed it, but the Kindle version is deeply unsatisfactory. It is arraigned as if it was prose, and there are none of the amusing illustrations that bring it to life. I am very disappointed, and would be very careful in future of trusting such treasures to Kindle copyists.
2 people found this helpful
on 24 April 2016
So pleased to find this book. I have a 1949 edition which is well worn! True to original script and illustrations, and large print. A book that will be enjoyed for generations to come. Thank-you.
on 2 September 2015
Do not buy the Kindle version. Really lazy - they they have not bothered to set the lines out as poetrt.
One person found this helpful
on 26 August 2016
Lovely childhood memories!
on 7 December 2012
I have loved this since I was a child, and can recite several of the verses. I bought it now for a niece, hoping that the younger generation will still respond.