on 23 August 2017
After reading some mixed reviews on this book I was unsure about purchasing it. I downloaded a sample and I was hooked. Fantastic book I have now read the whole series and wasn't disappointed one little bit. Definitely worth a read.
on 29 September 2013
I am no literary expert, I can't claim to discern between good books or bad, I just know what I like, I like this!
I couldn't put it down and have already sought out and started the second book even though I'd never heard of the author speaks volumes. My wife followed my lead and is now reading it so it's not just me.
on 7 March 2013
The opening chapters of this are dire. Seriously. You get a token bit of unconvincing action followed by pages of backstory data dump. A bit more action then more download. Then more. The main characters, their life stories, their pets, breakfasts, car make... It is all TOLD as if the author had spent ages thinking up their backgrounds and then splurged it out. I didn't need to have this dumped on me. I wanted to have it shown to me, so I could work out for myself what kind of people they were. There's a character called Athena who the heroine dislikes. We are told this right at the beginning. We are never SHOWN why - just TOLD the woman is bad tempered and dislikes anyone who isn't a Mage. She crops up regularly being unreasonable and bad tempered, but I never felt I understood the problem in their relationship because I only saw the result. And the heroine is such a rude intolerant grump that I sympathised with Athena a great deal.

This irritating writing style continues unrelieved for over a quarter of the book. I really struggled to stay with it. Then the plot started to develop and the master vampire turns up (he ends up being the most interesting character, mainly because he has a bit more depth). He is obviously an honourable character.

By halfway through things are much more interesting. Our heroine is finally doing more than petting her cat and ferret (I'm guessing the author is an animal lover) and eating carbohydrates (more of the author's interests?). The sidekick is more than a brother figure. The master vampire is gaumless enough to have several turncoats in his organisation. There has been a bit more action (but not enough).

The last half of the book was really quite readable - I got more attached to the three leads and became interested in the situation. The finale definitely grabbed my attention, although I felt it was an error to have the tough-cookie-female lead tied up immobile having to be rescued. It was also a brave move to use Athena's viewpoint for a scene during the finale. Not sure if it worked.

I have no idea if this is a first novel, but it sure felt that way. It was like watching someone learn how to write an action scene, how to write a backstory, how to develop a plot. By the end, the writing was definitely hitting a workable level. I would be interested to try the 2nd in the series to see if the learning curve continues.

We all start off bad at everything - driving, cooking, speaking another language, writing novels... It is always a pleasure to see someone getting up to speed.
on 4 June 2013
I had totally forgotten that I had read this book when I was checking what reviews I needed to write up. That's not a good indication that I liked it is it? Well that's good because I didn't enjoy it all that much. I won't go into what the book is about as the rather long and detailed blurb does an excellent job of that.

The blurb sounded really good, definitely something I would read but I was mainly seduced into reading this book by the mention of sexy master vampires. I can never resist a sexy vamp and Julius is no exception, although his choice in clothes does seem a bit dubious. Sexy master vamps should wear Armani suits not blue polo shirts but that is where my love of this book ends unfortunately. My main dislike when it comes to this novel is the female protagonist Gabi. I found her to be an unpleasant and bitchy character. Her wise crack comments were just plain old nasty in my opinion and didn't add anything to the character. The secondary characters were fine however I just felt sorry for them that they were in a book with Gabi. The plot was decent enough if a little slow paced but my issue with is was the author dumping lots of info on the reader.

Unless I read some good reviews from trusted sources for book 2 I will not be carrying on with this series. There were some good parts namely the vamps however it just wasn't for me, therefore I am giving A Cat's Chance in Hell 2.5 stars.
on 3 July 2012
I was given this book in return for an honest review. Gabi works for the SMV, with her partner Karl, to protect humans from the supernatural baddies. Gabi is a hellcat, a warrior, a demon hunter and just all around badass. Then she meets Julius, Master Vampire of the City and there is an instant attraction. He needs her help to defeat the demons or the human race will be done for. Can she trust him or should she take her family and run? Choices, choices. This book is nonstop action and will keep you reading till it's over. I cannot wait for the next installment in this series. Great flow.
on 27 August 2015
If I could, this would be 0 stars. I read the blurb and thought this would be right up my street. However, I was sorely disappointed. The author tried too hard with details and descriptions and backgrounds (unnecessarily long and repetitive) which were forced into the story because the author feels it needs to be said, instead of revealed or built in naturally. The biggest disaster was the main heroine was so awful and horrible. Her character was poorly developed and, quite frankly, a bully. The snarky, rude and just plain mean remarks she makes throughout the book made me dislike her intently. Because of this I felt the 'friendships' weren't plausible and failed to enjoy or connect the book. I stuck it out hoping for at least a good story line but was also severely disappointed here, especially with the ending. I never comment or leave reviews and I read A LOT of books but this is the first book I've read that I couldn't find one good thing about. Overall, this book is really not worth it, even if it's free.
on 21 February 2013
I read a lot more urban fantasy books and series than I probably should do and regard them as a guilty pleasure. A cat’s chance in hell was readable but in my view fell below the standard of a number of the other series that I have read recently. If you are looking for something new in this space I think that the Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones, the Allie Beckstrom series by Devon Monk and the Hellequin Chronicles by Steve Mchugh are significantly better.
on 15 July 2013
I absolutely loved this book. I'm already part of the way through the next book (All hell Breaks Loose), but I have to ration how much i read otherwise it will keep me engrosed while i should be sleeping.
About the book: interesting, unique storyline. I am a fan of urban fantasty, but it can get very dull when the storyline is the same old thing, but Sharon Hannaford has done a good job with these books. They have the right mix of action, sex, wit and sass.
About the characters: Gabi takes a little time to get to know, but when you do you can't help but like her. The men and animals are also a really good feature in this series

One other good thing i discovered today, Sharon Hannaford does a blog for Gabi on the Hellcat Series website. I really liked this idea, keeps you in the world of the story between books,
on 27 February 2013
Although the story line was completely different it did have faint echoes of Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress Series somehow. I loved that series and I love this new one.
As usual I give no spoilers, that I leave to the book blurb and other reviewers.
The writing was good and well edited with few bloopers. The characters well drawn and 'real'. The heroine was strong and self reliant, the heros brave, handsome inside and out, even when damaged. The villains were just plain nasty and their leader a reminder that real evil can wear a beautiful face.
I have already read the second book and loved it, perhaps even more. I do hope that there is more to come.
on 15 August 2013
Great book, great characters and kept me hooked till the end. The characters have depth and are lovable without being unrealistic. The action had just the right balance of horror and humour for my tastes to keep it (I want to say real. If that makes any sense). There is enough information to give you understanding without being overly informative. I could go on and on but I'm tired after staying up late to finish reading it. Therefore I'll probably not do this book enough justice. So I'll just say please read it if you've considering doing so. You won't be disappointed.