Customer reviews

1,084
Catit Senses Food Maze
Size: 1 Pack|Change

on 25 April 2014
Our cat used it correctly for a couple of days, and then discovered that he could get his head in the top, and eat from there. He uses one of the large holes on the top level to stand on with his front paws, which gives him the height to get his head into the opening in the lid. So now he just stands there and eats from the top. Any biscuits that fall down to the lower levels whilst he’s got his head in the top tend to sit there for a while before he goes back and uses the maze correctly. The flaw could be easily solved with a smaller hole in the lid.

Another observation is that the unit needs quite a bit of space as the cat needs access to all sides to be able to get all biscuits out. It’s not something you can just sit in a corner, as your cat won’t be able to access all biscuits.
review image
22 Comments| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 May 2017
I don't want to give this a bad review, as the premise is good, but even when I removed all other sources of food, my cats would not even look at the thing! They'd rather starve than attempt to retrieve food from this intelligence-insulting maze (they said it, not me!). And of course, I succumb to their shrill, meowing demands, and feed them. They know what they're doing.
on 25 April 2016
This is a really great item. I think the manufacturer has modified it since some of the reviews were written, as the one I received only had a narrow hole in the top so the cat can't eat the biscuits straight from the top, which seems to be the previous problem that resulted in many poor reviews. Mind you, there are 3 levels that you can put biscuits on, so if you do have an older version the simple solution is to just avoid using the top level! I bought this to encourage my cat to get a bit of excercise and not wolf his dinner down, as I'm trying to get him to lose some weight. When I first put it down for him, I put a few biscuits in the base tray to get him used to eating from it. After putting biscuits in the maze, it took him all of 10 seconds to figure out how to get the food out (he is very motivated when it comes to food). He is getting the excercise by moving round it to reach the food, and it's great entertainment for we humans. It's easy to put together and comes apart just as easily for cleaning. The middle level has a disc that turns so you can make the holes smaller that the biscuits have to fall through, thus increasing difficulty level. Mind you, if he can't get the biscuits to drop, Ginger does cheat a bit evry now and then by gripping the biscuits between his toes and pulling them through the sides. It's great fun to watch, and his face is a picture when he's looking for the fallen biscuit in the tray, but all he's done is knocked it down to the next level. From my own experience I cannot fault this item.
on 31 July 2015
Concept is good, but only used it for two days. The cats (I have 2, mother & daughter), appeared to love "hunting" for their food with this toy, but this was when they used the food maze individually. When they were near the food maze together, they fought dreadfully, so badly that we had to stop using it. We would of enjoyed using this as a long-term play item for our cats, but did not expect the aggression it induced in the cats. We removed the food maze and the cats stopped fighting. Just to advise other users, our cats did get on as mother & kitten, sharing a bed and washing each other, right up until the daughter was neutered. After that, there was a bit of fighting and the relationship was more of fellow cats, not family - we had to use cat calming spray for a month to calm them down. We had no desire to return to the days when we had fighting, so we stopped using the food maze. I do wonder what would have happened if we left if a few weeks and see if they stopped fighting, but we were not willing to risk injury and long-term upset between the cats. We would recommend this cat toy if your cats get on, or you have a single cat, but any history of fighting may indicate that very careful consideration is required.
on 8 July 2016
I'm always aware that buying fancy toys, gadgets etc for the Erin is a HUGE risk as she is very hard to please & gets board easily, but this would recommend, infact have done many a time to weary looking cat owners staring suspiciously at the toys in the pet isle as I often do......She loves it!!! Wouldn't really recommend for treats as need a good amount for it to work properly & Erin went thru nearly a whole months worth of treats in a week with this!! (2 x bags of dreamies & 2 x pots of temptations!!) But she loves her dry food in it just as much, infact I can hear the click of food pellets dropping into the dish right now :) she loves it that much I'm considering getting another as a gift for another fussy kitty :D
on 17 February 2017
I have a bad habit of spoiling my cat and put off buying this product for quite some time as I had the feeling it might be a little gimmicky.

I'm very happy to report back after about 3 months I was totally wrong! This is a great quality little product that has held up to the abuse my cat has thrown at it, it isn't a huge challenge for my cat but it does prolong feeding times by 10 mins and add a bit of stimulation.

My only tip is split the food between a normal bowl and the cat tower as my spoilt kitty went on hunger strike at the thought of having to work for his dinner.... whereas the current solution he seems to think he's getting fed twice!
on 27 August 2015
My cat bloomin' loves it. As a shy and nervous rescue Bengal, he's not shown much interest in stuff yet, but this really brought him out of himself. He is a bit stupid and can only get the food if he paws the top layer and there is a waterfall effect (he hasnt worked out he can get his paw in the other layers yet) but he is constantly at it, like an addiction. He can't walk past it without having a go. It stops him wolfing down a bowl of biscuits like it's his last meal and keeps him occupied so he doesnt feel the need to pee on my bed.

The construction is simple and sturdy enough, the design not too ugly and about the right size. They've redesigned the lid so he can't fit his face in it to cheat (as per previous reviews) and it doesnt look likely to tip over.

Here's a video of him using it https://goo.gl/T2PmEU

All in all, very pleased with my purchase (even though it went on a daily deal for a third off the day after I bought it - harrumph)
on 7 September 2014
Sadly, another disappointing purchase from the Catit range. After reading the reviews, I was a little concerned that my boisterous cat might pull it over, but I decided to buy it anyway. I installed it in their track system and it looks great.....but that's where it ends. It doesn't matter what lovely treat I put inside (and show them how to retrieve it) they are not interested. I also put the treats on different levels so that if they felt lazy they could just tap down one from the bottom layer. My cats had other ideas. They went back to sleep. On that note, I also found that both of my cats didn't like trying to eat the treats (that I'd knocked down) out of the narrow tray which is overshadowed by the body of the item, they virtually had to squeeze their faces in at angle, in fact one of them wouldn't eat out of the tray, so I had to even pick the biscuits out of that and put them on the floor!. Also several biscuits fell outside the tray and stuck between it and the track, which is annoying as I had to lift the track up to remove them. After trying to get my disinterested cats motivated, I even decided to delay a meal to see if they could be persuaded, and showed them again how to use it....but all they did was howl for their dinner after gobbling up the few treats that had fallen through as a result of my own efforts. It has now sat there for almost a week, totally ignored by my cats, despite me changing the treats daily. In fact, the cat that played with the senses track/ball previous to installing the food maze, will now not play with the ball in the track either. Quite remarkable. Personally, I think it looks great, but in my view the design for getting the treats out is too complex unless the cat is really persistent or playful and mine clearly aren't! My Burmese has a treat ball that he will knock around the floor to his hearts content, but this is too much like hard work it seems. All in all, I think it's a great idea, but perhaps has some design flaws and sadly my cats just aren't interested. Even if they were, I would only give this 3 stars because of the problems I encountered.
on 28 November 2016
My cat resisted this for quite a few days.

We bought it because she's stopped going out, started piling on the pounds, mostly had a bored expression on her face and so we just wanted to make things a little more interesting for her... and make it more difficult for her to eat her food!

It works! At first she'd only eat the biscuits that fell through during filling. Then she sussed out the middle shelf. Now she's got to the top shelf!!!

Does it make it more exciting for her? Not sure... but it's surely better than them just being in the bowl waiting for her!!

And as for us humans, it's pretty big, but it looks quite cool!
on 31 August 2017
My lovely cats discovered within the first hour that the best way to get food from this thing is to headbutt it until it falls over, the biscuits pour out, and they can roll it away to eat them all in one go. I tried putting it against a wall, in a corner, in the middle of the room, I tried it both with and without the rubber matt. Nope, they just knocked it down every time. I don't know whether the little kitten discovered this approach first and taught the big tom cat or the other way round, but they now both do it. I've given up because of the mess it creates.