on 22 July 2010
I bought this for a slightly unusual purpose - I needed a clock for my motorbike, and after a couple of motorbike specific clocks failed, I decided to just strap a good old casio to the handlebars. I chose this one because it was (a) cheap (b) waterproof (c) has a large display and (d) has long battery life.

The vibration and exposure to the elements have had no effect on this watch, and it has performed perfectly for a year now. For use at night, there is a brief illumination function which I can activate in my bike gloves - it's a bit fiddly, but possible.
I would recommend this watch for anyone, but especially handy for someone with either poor vision, or a motorbike (or both... but I'd guess if that's you, then the time of day isn't your most pressing problem right now)
on 14 December 2010
What was I looking for?
I bought this watch in the hope that it would be shower proof, hard wearing, scratch resistant (regarding the face of the watch) and had a longer lasting strap than my last watch. My last watch was a suunto T1, on which the strap had broken through wear and is very expensive to replace.

Details:
So far 3/4 demands from this watch have been tested (by daily usage) and 3/4 tests have proven the watch to be shower proof, even swimming proof and able to take knocks.

It keeps time very well, I have set it once and it has not advanced or slowed in its time keeping. It has an adequate stop watch facility, dual time function, back light and display which is most considerately designed as it accommodates the day (in words), year, date and whether the snooze, alarm or hourly chime settings have been activated. It can also display 24/12 hrs by a press a of a button, which is very convenient.

This watch comes with a 10 year battery and a 2 year warranty from the date of purchase.

Design:
I did consider the higher model with a silvery white display Casio W-800H-1AVES Mens Resin Digital Watch, which had a better back-light but decided to gamble on this one because that was the only difference between the two.

The watch is designed for a male as it's face is just below medium size and the case is not too chunky. Personally, I really like the square classic casio look that has been inherited by this contemporary model.

Conclusion:
Only time will tell how long the watch strap lasts. It seems to be in good condition after daily usage which includes showering, wearing and pressing buttons and not taking it off frequently though. I have had the watch for 1 month (bought it in november 2010).

Generally I am very happy with the product and Amazon UK's efficient delivery service. It has surpassed my build quality expectations and my ease of use and wealth of functions expectations. For £14.50 (free delivery) it was well worth it. Also, I dont spend 25 minutes in the shower any more (lower your eyebrows).
on 21 March 2016
This is my first digital watch. I originally wanted a Casio G-Shock (the rectangular variants) but they are associated with a much heftier price range. This watch is an excellent alternative and I picked it up at just £15.

I wanted a watch to use for sports and outdoor activity without fear of breakage. I love the styling on this thing, it is straightforward, functional and honest and maintains an air of utilitarian design that Casio are known for. The display is crisp and clear and features the staple functions of a digital watch. I personally like the Dual Time function which I like to use for watching Formula 1 to keep track of the time of day in whatever country they're racing in. The display comes with a light to use in the dark and does its job well, despite being just an orange bulb in the corner. One thing I liked was how the packaging it arrived in was clearly designed on a budget which puts the focus on the watch itself, showing clearly where Casio's priorities lay.

As far as the durability goes, I am comfortable to wear it whilst swimming or taking a shower. It doesn't have any shock protection like the G-Shocks but in the event an impact is large enough to break it I would just order a replacement. At 15-20 pounds this watch is a good deal.
review image review image
on 31 October 2011
3rd Casio in past 2 years. Previous watches have let in water but to be fair to Amazon they have changed them promptly. Paid more for this one which is 100m water resistant rather than 50m of previous 2.
I have 4 requirements of a watch, none of which include style, and these are that it keeps very good time (this is accurate to the second), that it is water proof both in the pool and the sea (not used it in the sea yet but is ok in the pool), that it has a stop watch facility (it has), and it has an excellent back light to avoid putting my specs on in poor light. Unfortunately this watch falls down in this respect with a very poor back light. Surprisingly the last one I had, a cheaper model W86, had a blue back light that was fantastic in all light conditions.
on 13 August 2011
I've been buying Casio water resistant watches for nearly 20 years now and been very pleased with them. They're accurate, easy to use, and I can wear them for swimming and canoeing without any problem. Also they're cheap so it's not a disaster if you lose them. I bought this particular model about twenty months ago and have just replaced it with an identical one from Amazon - delivery time incidentally was 18 hours from order to receipt and that was on the usual free delivery system. (The predecessor got lost when the strap broke and I didn't notice.) My only problem with these watches is the relatively short life-span of the resin straps which is about 12-18 months. Otherwise they're perfect for my needs. As far as I'm concerned I'd rather have one of these than a Rolex for sheer functionality.
on 25 July 2013
This watch is an upgrade to the classic F-91W which has stood the test of time.

The strap on this watch is exactly the same as the F-91W but it is longer so lads if you have a large wrist
then this Is the perfect watch for you!

Also as mentioned by a previous buyer there are 2 versions of this watch, there is the 'silver W-800H'
and the underrated 'gold W-800HG' and I have to agree with the previous buyer in that the 'gold version'
is by far the better looking watch and looks very classy indeed.

The display is only very slightly tinted orange and looks great with the matt black face.

As well as that the date is always correct which comes in very handy for me and the
time digits are a good decent size which are very easy to read.

Comes with alarm, hourly time signal, 24hr stopwatch, dual time, a green backlight
which lights up the entire watch face and a 10 year battery and is 100m water resistant.

I am so pleased I bought the 'gold version' which looks quite luxurious and looks more expensive
than the bargain price I paid for it, it looks great on my arm.

A real masculine classy looking watch with a retro feel which can be worn anywhere anytime. A+++
on 3 May 2013
I spent ages trawling through the hundreds of Casio watches on Amazon. I wanted something that was simple, reliable and also looked authentically retro. I spent a lot of time choosing between this and the W214H. In fact I was so indecisive I bought the latter as well because I couldn't decide between the two. My concern was that the numbers on the 800HG watch would be too large or the watch just wouldn't look good enough.

All my fears were allayed when opening the box: it was love at first site. This watch looks very retro indeed, helped especially by the slight orange screen tint which massively adds to its 80s appeal, in fact it goes nicely with skin tone so it doesn't look out of place. The matt black bezel is much better than a gloss one, and looks far classier, in my opinion. The numbers certainly aren't too big and look just right on the screen. It's 100M waterproof too, and since I'm going to Turkey this summer and will likely spend a lot of time in the sea, I needn't worry about leaving this on the beaches.

Now, there are two versions of this watch, both of which I own. There is the standard "silver" 800H which is very popular on Amazon, and the more uncommon "gold" version 800HG, which is this one. Having worn the 800HG for a few days before the "silver" one turned up, I can say that the "gold" version looks far more interesting with its orange tinted screen and the thin gold line around the screen which offsets the matt black nicely. The "silver" 800H has this light blue line around the screen which doesn't show up in the Amazon pic and makes the watch look a little cheap in comparison. The 800HG definitely wins over the two in my book: it's more interesting to look at and has more personality. Own this watch and you'll definitely have something more unusual but great looking over the more standard Casios - and that's whether you think gold is your colour or not [I'm more of a silver person, ironically].

Once you start configuring the watch you'll remember how tricky it can be to set the time on a digital like this...but after a couple of minutes' fiddling it's all done. Some people seem to complain about the backlight being dim, and while the light is dimmer than some Casios on this watch, it is perfectly adequate to read the watch in total darkness. You also get a stopwatch if, like me, you like keeping track of running times when your phone app has a chance to fail [Runtastic crashed during a 10K run for me, very annoying... so much for modern tech]. As if these qualities weren't enough, this watch has a ten year battery life and is only £14, so if something goes terribly wrong with it you can just get another. All in all, it's hard to lose out.

The only thing I'd really want that's missing here is a month-to-month calendar... but how the hell would they fit it on the screen?!

Update May 2015: Two years later! I've worn this watch every day since purchase and I still love it. The old strap started to break and I was faced with the choice of getting a new watch or replacing the strap. I couldn't find anything else I liked online as much so I changed the strap, and it looks good as new. Well, there are a few very minor specs in the face from long-term use, but this watch has stood up to repeated use and has stood the test of time. Hardly, sturdy, reliable, and good-looking.
on 9 August 2016
If your think for getting a more expensive watch, do yourself a favour and buy this.

Everything about this watch for me is great and demonstrates Casio's decades of experience in trying to perfect digital watch design. The face is larger enough to be masculine but not get caught on things or get knocked. Being light weight it is comfortable to wear everyday. It is thick enough to make access to the side buttons easy, but not so thick that it doesn't slip nicely underneath a long sleeve shirt sleeve (g-shocks anyone!)

The display is clear, with big digits and all the information their at a quick glance. The light is ample- strong enough to easily read the digits at night, but not super bright (which would most likely drain the battery).

It keeps time excellently and the battery lasts a decade.

This design, with a slightly different colour screen and a subtle gold rim (an similar model has a blue rim) is smart enough to wear into the office. Yes, your going to want wear a nice dress analogue watch on your wedding day, but for day to day office, meetings etc I consider the watch to look smart and understated. It says to people your no-nonsense, and the first priority of your watch is knowing what the time is. Sometimes having a flashier watch can give the wrong impression in certain situations.

Best of all, you can wear it all the time and put it through whatever life throws at it (swimming, running, being chewed by the dog, whatever)- because in the unlikely event it breaks or you lose it- at this price you simply don't care and can go buy another one!

Because of these reasons I consider it to be the perfect everyday watch. How do you improve on perfection Casio? Well I wouldn't mind a count down timer. But apart from that don't change a thing!
on 24 July 2009
as i was looking for a nice an practical watch i decide myself for this old style classic look alike casio watch
it have all the basic needed for an every day watch and it is quiet good looking if you okay with this kind of design
yes after all what we realy want is a watch that gives you time and that what casio do with this model and i lke it very much
on 27 February 2013
Had similar watch years ago. Great to dip into the past a little. Model now upgraded and very slick in appearance ant to wear. Easy to set up basic functions like time date etc. There,s just something pleasureable about this watch and Casios in general. Best value watch too, by a mile.
I would recommend this model to all ages!

See one answered question