Size: One-Size|Colour Name: black/charcoal|Change

on 8 March 2010
When I first removed the watch from the box, I was immediately impressed with the apparent quality of the watch. For such a cheap watch, I wasn't expecting a top quality finish. But I am impressed with the display screen, it looks better than its price range in my opinion. It has been kept simple by design, but doesn't look cheap.

You can also tell the time in bright sunlight with ease. This can be an issue with some digital watches.

The watch is quite a small, light watch. I don't even notice I'm wearing it sometimes. The face is about 3.5cm (1.25") wide, and about the same high. The strap is very slim, measuring 1.5cm (0.6") across at its slimmest point (it obviously tapers from the face).

The strap is very simple to fasten. I could not tell you how easy it is to adjust, because the watch strap fit me perfectly right out of the box. But I can assure you that the strap is simple to clasp around your wrist. It is a simple hook mechanism and then a clip to hold it in place. Giving a very audible and reassuring `click' when it is fastened. A sure sign of quality. The strap is also very easy to remove.

As soon as I opened the box (as I always do by habit), I read the instructions through. This was to see how the different functions of the watch worked. The instructions are not extensive, and are very simple to follow.

The watch has 2 functions besides telling the time(and date), in either 12hr or 24hr: an alarm, and a stop watch.

After reading the instructions and setting up the time, I then found it easy to navigate around the functions without consulting the manual, so it can be said that it is very easy to use. You could probably set it up without the instructions. Indeed, the instructions say you can't break the watch by pressing the wrong buttons, but the manual is not to long, so I would suggest reading it through (only the English bit mind!).

The only setbacks (and they are only minor ones), in my opinion, are with the light and the alarm.

The light is an LED set to the left of the screen. So when it is activated, the light is noticeably brighter on one side of the screen than the other. I would have preferred it to be a uniform distribution of light, but this is just me being meticulous. The light does its job fine, it enables you to tell the time in the dark, so I can't really complain.

The alarm is not really very loud. My hearing is pretty good. But I think the alarm should be a couple more decibels.

In summary, this watch is an excellent watch for its retail price. I am really happy with the quality. The watch displays the time in either 12hr or 24hr, with the day and date. It has an alarm, light and stopwatch. It is also very easy to operate and is comfortable to wear.

You can't ask much more of a watch. 4.8/5.

I hope you found this review helpful and has persuaded you to purchase a great little watch. Thanks for reading my review.
11 comment| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 February 2009
Excellent, just as it was when I bought the first one back in the 1980's.
Stainless Steel throughout. Clear LCD display and full of retro class. If you like 80's merchandise then this is for you
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 9 September 2016
The only 'negative' is the light. It's pretty pathetic. For that reason, I would choose the ILLUMINATOR over this (model A168W-1)

I purchased a slightly different flavour of this range for myself, and my wife fell in love with mine to the point I was forced to buy her one so she didn't repossess mine. I have the 'ILLUMINATOR' version and wanted to get her somehting slightly different to mine, but still wanted it to be a classic Casio, so went for this particular one.

This is a UNISEX watch, I can also wear it but bear in mind I have small wrists and hence it looks quite sleek, however this IS a small watch, so just be aware of this that if you're a giant!

The weight of this watch is next to nothing, you rarely notice it's there.

SIZE - I have very small hands and wrists for a guy, and hence this watch is perfect for me, for 'real' men with shovels for hands and adams apples the size of a baseball, this is probably not for you.

ADJUSTMENT - This is a doddle, and I remembered the method from memory, just stick a small screwdriver or sharp knife in the slot behind the clasp, and lift the lever up and you can adjust the strap to your size. (see pic 2-3)

PRICE - Unlike things like Adidas, you don't have to spend more than 20 odd quid to get one of these models. Do it. I've since got one for my wifes friend.
review image review image review image
on 9 July 2012
Got tons of compliments. Looks good on men and women, goes well with casual and more put together outfits. Its so trendy that I so it in stores for 54 euros, buy it before they raise the price here too...
on 26 July 2015
I love this watch. I have many watches (as it is the only form of jewellery that I enjoy) but the Casio is my workhorse, my daily driver, my friend.

I am young, I enjoy technology but I don't think I will ever replace my beloved Casio with an Apple Watch or Samsung Gear. Why?

What other watch has a battery fitted as standard that lasts FIVE YEARS without skipping a beat?
What other watch has been hit, dropped, temporarily lost, submerged in water, and still worked?
What other watch still looks stylish with a design that has barely changed in decades?

I absolutely adore my my Casio, I would never want to replace it. Ok it's not as fancy as my dress watches but all their batteries gave up a long time ago, whereas my old friend Casio is still going. I take him everywhere I go and he is still there keeping track of the time.

A lot happens in 5 years, and I am proud to say my Casio has been there for most of it.

Long live the Casio A163WA!
on 26 April 2011
It arrived this morning, it's a lovely watch and great for the price (which went down 2 pounds the day after i bought it...). It is also trivial to set up, with a simple 3 button input explained in the manual.

It loses a star due to it's weak light (still effective in the dark) and it's effeminate strap which is quite a bit skinnier than i was expecting. That aside it's still a great watch and I'm very happy with my purchase.

People seem to be having trouble adjusting the bracelet size of the watch. I was very confused about it as well until i saw a comment that a user "ed flanders" left on a review below which reads as follows;

"All you have to do is, with the watch face side up, look at the lower clip (where the clasp hooks onto) and you'll see a slot.
Pop it up with a screwdriver and you can adjust (slide) the plate to suit your wrist.
When done, just clip the metal thing down firmly again - it's simple!" - The only downside of this comes from the spare links left over after adjustment, this is not a big deal and i'll probably get them taken out later by a professional.

Overall, A great watch and a great purchase! 4.5/5
on 27 February 2011
I was very impressed about the quality when I received it; I thought the stainless steel, the quality, locking system, were going to be much worse. It looks tough, and everlasting. A very simple watch, small so it's easy to wear, very cheap, goodlooking and trendy nowadays ;-)
on 17 February 2011
I bought this for my brother for his 21st birthday.

He loves it. It was affordable, it works like clockwork (sorry!) but best of all, it looks the business! I have just bought myself one too :)
on 21 August 2010
Incredible, something in todays world that has not changed. Cannot remember when I bought this watch but it was many years ago. Wish I could remember the cost then. Age meant that I now had to remove the back to change any settings every six months and doubt it would pass the fathom test but it still kept perfect time. Finally the chrome began to fall off so decided on a new one. Now on my wrist, I wonder if this one will out live me. The only difference is, the strap has less sections and is more rigid. What to do with the old one? I'll put it away for a while, you never know.
on 18 September 2010
The watch is a replacement for a very similar type which has lasted 17 years and is still going well. The only reason for buying a new one was that the holes where the strap attached had become enlarged so the strap would fall off.
I ordered this watch because it had a stainless steel strap which would not periodically need replacement, but I was aware from reviews that steel link straps might have to be adjusted by a watchmaker. This watch is described as having an EXPANDING BRACELET: it is not, it is a steel link strap which will need adjustment. Casio do not supply any instructions for this, and they have not yet replied to an email. As a result, I cannot wear it and it is useless.
55 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse