- Format: Kindle Edition
- File Size: 715 KB
- Print Length: 192 pages
- Publisher: Pen and Sword; Reprint edition (19 July 2013)
- Sold by: Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00AE7DE8Y
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Average Customer Review: 168 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #37,716 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£12.99|
Save £8.25 (64%)
Carve Her Name With Pride Kindle Edition
|Length: 192 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled|
Kindle e-ReadersKindle Fire TabletsFire Phones
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
I would add this book to any young woman's reading list!
The author of this book was a complex and multi-talented individual with a career that included journalist, magazine editor (several times), film producer, university lecturer in film and media, playright and author of over 30 titles of which most were fiction but also included a biography on Charlie Chaplin. One may feel it necessary to ask why a writer whose background is mostly in fiction would choose or be asked to write a biography. That background in fiction also forces to the surface the question about the book's factuality and whether some portions were invented. The author's film work was based in Britain and Hollywood and he had worked with some of the big names in film. This book was first published in 1956 and the film of the same name was released soon afterwards.
This book's story is that of Violette Szabo, a British-born Anglo-French woman then working as a shop assistant who met and married an officer of the French Foreign Legion who would be killed at El Alamein in 1942.Read more ›
She served in the SOE, secret British service, and was sent on missions to occupied France to help the Resistance movements.
This book is a monument to the memory of a lady who lived and died for our freedom.
I am so amazed by her courage and that of her parents when in guessing the work she was doing did not try and stop her. As a parent I think I would have lacked the courage not to stop my daughter.
Violette was an ordinary girl, like so many of the Girls who went into enemy territory and I do not think that she, or the other girls and boys (and the reality is they were youngsters), have been recognised for their bravery.
History has shown us how horrific the Germans were that one cannot begin to acknowledge what happened to Violette at the hands of the monsters.
We should remember all our service personnel for without them we would not enjoy the freedom we have
Such a sad ending.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Fascinating. Such respect for the women and men of the SOE. Read it for research. good. Better than the film.Published 4 months ago by Madalyn Morgan - Treaddell
If you want to know more about women's involvement and bravery in the last war, this is one to read.Published 5 months ago by Jennifer Barrett
Wow what a woman! She did a very courageous and determined woman, who sacrificed herself to save others for no thought for herself.Published 7 months ago by Franny Chop's
A true and unbiased account of bravery and savagery another good reason why we
must never forget, this book is a truly wonderfull account of our amazing people during
the... Read more
brilliant top notch book about an exceptionally brave lady before feminism was even thought of.Published 10 months ago by Amazon Customer
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Film, Television & Music > Music
- Books > Biography > Historical > 1901 Onwards
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Military
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Political > Britain
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > World War II
- Books > Biography > Women
- Books > History > Military History > Military Intelligence & Espionage
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Battles & Campaigns
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Biographies & Memoirs
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Enigma Code
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > Europe > General
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > Military & Wars > World War II
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Leaders & Notable People
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Professionals & Academics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Women
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Military
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Politics & Social Sciences