on 31 July 2003
I have read this book and embarked on the detox programme. I have never dieted before and was curious after talking to friends and patients about this book (I am a GP). The diet seems to be well balanced with a lot of care taken on nutritional values. I was impressed by the nutritional information. The recipes were extremely simple to make and were delicious. This is a real bonus especially if you are a busy working mother like me. Giving up caffeine was very difficult and the headaches were bad. The alcohol was much easier. I have given up the glass of wine as you get home from work habit which I feel fantastic about. I feel calmer, happier and healthier. I did not do it to lose weight as I do not have a weight problem, but did it to get my habits back on a healthy track. I knew them in principle but never actually carried them out. This book literally takes you by the hand and shows you the way. The book gave me so many new ideas. My family has benefitted too, and even my husband became interested. I would recommend this book as it is based on good scientific principles and is safe and sensible, plus it works! Fantastic. cant wait for the new recipe book in the autumn!
0Comment| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 May 2004
Right, firstly, I'm a 5'8" UK size 8/10 (size 4/6 USA I think), never been on a diet before, am quite happy with my physique (apart from the 'English' slight pot belly) and I drink coca-cola like it's going out of fashion! I don't know what possessed me to buy the summer detox book, but most likely the growing sense of panic knowing that in a months time I'll be parading my belly in a bikini on the beach!
There is a hefty introduction, which explains the basics of detoxing and gives a detailed summary of what you should be eating and why (to understand the why's and wherefores is always helpful). There is also a list of what to avoid. And rather than being all "holier-than-thou", it's commonsensical. Being a vegetarian, I was relieved and pleasantly surprised that the book omits meat and fish from its recipes, although you can add them if you want. The recipes (there’s about 50 of them) are quite diverse, but easy to make and there’s even some suggested mix and match menu’s for meal planning.
So, one shopping list and a trip to a health food shop later, I launched into the diet. Not being a fruit or salad fan, it was quite daunting (vegetarians don't all live on lettuce leaves y'know!) but daily I forced down fruit, and begrudgingly chucked a handful of salad onto my dinner plate.
To be honest, I found it hard going. A lot of the food in the book is the kind of thing I normally love to eat, but the psychological effect of "having" to eat it sort of put me off. It really did feel like effort. I missed my cups of tea, pasta and cheese, but did develop a liking for Quinoa (sort of a cross between pasta and couscous) and cranberry juice. I imagine for the more focussed and diet-minded this is probably a doddle - the food is great, minimum-effort cooking, fast results.
I gave up on Day 10, but (…here's the excuse…!) my best friend happened to be in London for the night, so we went out for dinner... I forgot about the diet so a good italian meal and a bottle of wine later, well… duh! It was only after dinner, my friend then proceeded to tell me how great I was looking - flat tummy, shiny hair, bright eyes... she said I looked healthier than I'd done in years! I suppose you don't actually notice the change, it's not a drastic transformation from Pat Butcher to Jordan. It's subtle.
It's two weeks later... The nutritional information has had a practical impact on my every day eating habits. I have fruit at snacktime, rather than crisps and biccys. I have unsalted nuts rather than salted. I allow myself one decent cup of tea a day, and drink herbal tea at other times. I avoid fizzy drinks.
I have decided that I am going to do this diet again and do it properly - no drinking, no smoking. If 10-day detox can make a 10-year tummy disappear it's got to be doing something right!
I would heartily recommend this book to anyone. Be it for the recipes, the nutritional information, or if only for the fact that if it can make a cellulite-free 30 yr old's tummy as flat as it was 10 years ago, if you're sat there with a bit more weight than you want think what it could do for you!...
0Comment| 133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 February 2010
I followed this diet for three weeks this year and I lost a stone and have managed to keep it off. It's not easy, in that you cut out wheat, caffeine, booze etc., but it's so GOOD for you that you feel amazing - it's more of a lifestyle change than a diet.

I have adopted many of the principles into my everyday life now - I eat many more beans, pulses etc. and no refined carbs.

I've tried loads of diet books and would say this one is by far one of the best.
on 27 August 2003
This is without a doubt the best book that I have ever purchased. I have done literally every diet around with some results but with the usual eventual weight gain.
I did not find the two weeks hard to maintain but I don't smoke and do not have a caffeine habit. Also giving up refined foods for wholesome replacements was also not a chore.
I felt determined that I could stick to the menus for 14 days and I did, I felt a little bit tired initially but the fatigue seemed to dissipate as the days went on.
What an incredible bargain as I then lost 8 pounds in two weeks with everyone I know noticing and made comments.
I have continued with the priniciples but have introduced some treats here and there and have continued to steadily lose wait. I am now more confident, happier and the best of all Slimmer. All I can say is Thank you Carol, thank you very much
0Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 August 2004
Very pleased with this book - the menu plans are actually delicious. The foods you eat are mostly vegetables, fruit, pulses and nuts; the almost unlimited volume you can consume means that you don't have unpleasant hunger pangs. I've been using an online food log called 'fitday' to record everything I've been eating (on day 8 now) and I can see that I'm pretty consistently eating 1200kCal a day on this plan and I am steadily dropping weight. I am pleased to report that I still have energy to exercise daily with this diet - I tried Atkins and, believe me, exercise was very difficult on that regime. One piece of criticism is that the book sort of leaves you in limbo after day 14 which is a great shame, the eating habits that I've started to form over the last week or so have meant an improvement in energy level, skin condition weight and general wellbeing. I've been searching around the Amazon site to try and make my mind up whether to buy another book from Carol Vorderman or her co-author on this publication, Anita Bean who is a nutritionist by profession.
11 Comment| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 August 2004
Wish I'd done things in the right order and read this book BEFORE I went on holiday, and found myself looking like a Christmas pudding on the beach.
Fourteen days after changing my diet habits a la Ms Vorderman's book, I can get into my jeans again. My arms are thinner, I've lost flab on my back, and my skin is clear.
All the food is available from good supermarkets, and bog-standard health food shops. O.K; some recipes take a little while to prepare, but they're so easy, and the end result is delicious. Even my carnivorous husband and very picky son are enjoying sharing the meals.
on 25 April 2013
I purchased this book along with others by Carol Vorderman and found it as good as the others. The concept has been explained well and the recipes easy to follow. I would recommend this book.
on 30 August 2006
I was pleasantly surprised by this book and thought it might be a bit fussy, like some other diet books can be.

Every single recipe we have tried so far have been a huge success, even with our kids and parents-in-law. The food is very tasty and not bland as you may sometimes expect when reading the recipes. Highly recommend this book and I will now be getting the 28 day book as well.
on 25 May 2006
I like detoxifying myself twice a year. I usually do that in May and November. It is rejuvenating and invigorating. Carol Vorderman's Summer Detox was my guide this time. I started to feel better in the second day. I also do daily "Spring Revolution Yoga Exercises" which go very well with this program. I have always enjoyed fruit and vegetables so it is not a big problem for me to do the detox. I find that Carol Vorderman's Summer Detox works best when you combine it with liver cleansing program as presented in "Can We Live 150" by M. Tombak - another great book for healthy lifestyle
on 8 June 2015
So easy to stick to because the recipes are both filling and very tasty. I hardly knew I was doing a detox. We've even added some of the recipes to
our regular meals.