- Enjoy £1.00 credit to spend on movies or TV on Amazon Video when you purchase a DVD or Blu-ray offered by Amazon.co.uk. A maximum of 1 credit per customer applies. UK customers only. Offer ends at 23:59 GMT on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
- Note: Blu-ray discs are in a high definition format and need to be played on a Blu-ray player.
- Important Information on Firmware Updates: Having trouble with your Blu-ray disc player? Will certain discs just not play? You may need to update the firmware inside your player. Click here to learn more.
Carmina Burana: Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra [Blu-ray]  [Region Free]
Get £1 Off Amazon Video*
|Price:||£29.99 & FREE Delivery in the UK. Details|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special Offers and Product Promotions
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Carmina BuranaSally Matthews, Lawrence Brownlee, Christian Gerhaher
Sir Simon Rattle, conductor
Recorded live at the Philharmonie Berlin 31 December 2004
- A joyful celebration welcoming the New Year, this Gala from Berlin presents the world-renowned Berlin Philharmonic, conducted by Sir Simon Rattle, in Carl Orff's famous Carmina Burana, an intensely dramatic cantata that remains one of the most widely performed works from the twentieth century.
- With an exceptional vocal line-up soprano Sally Matthews, tenor Lawrence Brownlee and baritone Christian Gerhaher.
- Featuring the Rundfunchor Berlin with Chorus Master Simon Halesey as well as the Knabenchor des Staats- und Domchores Berlin
- Carl Orff's Carmina Burana is one of the most popular and exiting classical works.
- Christian Gerhaher had received his second Echo-Klassik in the year of the recording of this performance.
- This is the only Carmina Burana on Blu-ray Disc to date.
Picture Format BD: 1080i - 16:9
Sound Format BD: PCM Stereo
Disc Format: BD 25
Region code: All
Booklet notes: English, German, French
Subtitles: English, German, French, Spanish, Japanese
Running time: 89 mins
Rattle offers a refined,even strait-laced reading. --BBC Music Magazine,Feb'11 --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
As for the video quality, most of what you will read in the negative reviews is true. I fully understand why anyonne expecting normal Blu-ray quality would be very disappointed. It was recorded in 2004, pre Blu-ray. Although there are some HD recordings that date back to then, and before, they are not common and this is not one of them. I assume it was filmed in standard definition and upscaled for Blu-ray. There is some value in doing that - as long as the purchaser knows what to expect. Higher bit rate and more advanced compression result in fewer artefacts than there would be on DVD.
A last word. I've based my review on the HD stream available in the Berliner Philharmoniker's Digital Concert Hall to which I subscribe. The Blu-ray should be higher quality, it certainly shouldn't be any less.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This is the famous Carmina Burana conducted by Simon Rattle with a train to catch...
Tempi are somewhat questionable and specially the last section where it calls for... Read more
I`m very happy with this DVD from the gala in Berlin on New Year`s Eve 2004 with the Berlin Philharmonic and Sir Simon Rattle. It really is fantastic in all respects. Read morePublished 11 months ago by M - L P
Magnificent performance. Both bij Simon Rattle and the best orchestra in the world, the Berlin Philharmonic. Good quality sound and picture.Published on 15 Mar. 2014 by frits