Customer reviews

on 30 October 2014
Magda's philosophy is a must for all parents. It's as simple as treating your baby as if they were a person - they are!
on 10 October 2017
Love this book.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 November 2015
As described, arrived on time, no problems
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 March 2013
"Caring for infants with respect" just makes total sense. Our baby has responded so well too; events like getting dressed have become even more of a pleasure and even though he's only five months he focuses on helping e.g. with his arms and legs, because he is engaged in the actual activity rather than distracted! We get dressed together than than dress him. The book is different from others as it's not too prescriptive and certainly not judgy.
on 30 May 1999
"DEAR PARENT" presents a simple yet ground-breaking, natural yet thought-provoking way to raise your child. Magda Gerber's philosophy of respect for your infant -- and for yourself as a parent -- changed my life. It transformed me from a baffled, overwhelmed new mother to a confident, fulfilled one.
Magda taught me that if I fully focused on my baby during "caring times" (feeding, diapering, bathing), I didn't have to 'teach' her how to sit, crawl, walk, talk or play. When she was ready to do those things, she did so naturally. And she owned them. I learned to let my child's play time be hers, a time to follow her own curiosity and direciton without interruption. The joy I found in observing my child and her discoveries helped me to survive the loneliness and doldrums of parenting an infant/toddler. My child is still inclined to spend long periods of time without TV, videos, or suggestions from me, entertaining and educating herself with self-initiated activities, creations, and daydreams.
"DEAR PARENT" is packed with Magda Gerber's wisdom from a lifetime of observations and writings. It can change forever the way you view infants, toddlers, all other human beings. Communicating with your child, taking his or her unspoken feelings into account from Day One, establishes a relationship based on mutual respect. This book is the perfect gift for a new or expectant parent, especially one who is willing to use common sense in parenting, foregoing all the latest baby gimmicks and contraptions. "DEAR PARENT" will inspire you (as Magda says) to "do less, enjoy more".