Format: Spiral-bound|Change

on 4 February 2011
I enjoy driving a great deal and have driven fairly extensively across the UK, Europe and the USA. However, I have only recently bought my first car (having hired or borrowed at other times) and though I am an experienced driver, I had absolutely no knowledge whatsoever about the basics of maintaining my vehicle. It's very daunting to try and get involved in learning the simple things without having a friend who will walk you through it, especially as a man who does feel marginally ashamed at my lack of knowledge! I am not interested in customising my car, tweaking it, or any of that - I just want to keep it in decent condition and looked after.

Car Care Made Easy is like the knowledgeable friend who talks you through it all. Alex Moss writes clearly and concisely, neither assuming any prior knowledge nor being patronising. The book is very well illustrated throughout (a major failing in other car care books) and takes you through every aspect of self-maintenance, from oil changing to screen wash to what to keep in your boot. Where a job can be done yourself, he shows you how, and where it needs a professional, he clearly states as much. I keep it in my glovebox (perfect size) and use it regularly. Moss also provides free access to articles and useful links on his website, which is very good.

All in all, this is an outstanding book for anyone who needs a guiding hand on car care, and I highly recommend it to all drivers.
on 10 December 2012
I don't often get excited about books on car maintenance, but this particular book is worth shouting about.

I have been driving for 20 years now and ashamed to admit that my knowledge on basic car maintenance is abysmal. Embarrassingly bad, in fact. I felt this had to be put right and so went on the hunt for a book that would help me look after my car and carry out all the basic checks that I really should know!

And so I came across this gem on Amazon. Let me just say that everything about this little book is brilliant. Perfect for the beginner, CCME really is the ultimate glovebox companion; that isn't just an idle boast on the front cover. This book is  very well written and the author's style is simple and easy to grasp. Anyone can pick up this book, start reading and immediately be more familiar with the basics of keeping a car in good condition. It really does instil you with confidence.

Have a look at the images I've added. They show the entire contents of CCME and you can see that it covers everything you need to know. Each section is colour-coded and laid out in a logical order. There are lots of full colour photos throughout the book and step-by-step instructions on how to carry out each of the basic but important checks and tasks. Each section begins by listing the materials and equipment you should have to hand before you start. (The author loves kitchen roll, let me tell you!) Be sure to pay extra attention to the colour-coded sidebars that are dotted throughout the book. These little Q&As are absolutely invaluable, as are the great tips that appear in quotes.

It's obvious that a lot of effort has gone into the compiling and writing of this fantastic little book, in order to make it accessible and user-friendly for those motorists who, like me, have no clue as to what they should be doing to extend the life of their car and keep it on good condition.

This dedication to simple practicality has extended to the actual design of the book itself. This is no ordinary perfect bound paperback. No! What you get with CCME, in addition to first class genuinely useful content, is attention to detail; the finer points that make life easier. I'm talking about a spiral-bound format so the book can be laid flat and easily referred to when you're actually working on your car. I'm talking about high quality, thick, glossy, card-like pages that will withstand knocks and general wear and tear. I wish more books of this nature were similarly designed.

All this combines to give a perfect book on car maintenance, suitable for all drivers, especially beginners. Do yourself a favour and spend a few pounds on this book; you won't regret it and it could end up costing you much more if you don't. All basic checks and tasks are included, from checking the oil to changing a flat tyre and everything else, too. Unreservedly recommended.
review image review image review image review image
on 21 September 2011
"Car Care Made Easy" is an absolute must for learners and drivers alike - useful information concisely written, very well presented, with great illustrations too. I am a driving instructor and recommend this to all my pupils. Great effort Alex Moss!
on 13 December 2015
Yay!!!! Brilliant little book. Really beautifully designed-top marks to the designer. Bought this for my daughter who is utterly dozy and knows NOTHING about cars, bless her, keeps buying £500 cars and they break down at the rate of knots!! She seriously needs this book. This is a perfect book for anyone who has just passed their test. Not patronising but really useful. Parents, we can't keep our children safe, much as dearly want to, but feel this book can only help! Do NOT let your loved ones buy, get into, or drive a car unless they have this book in the glove compartment -nail it to their head if necessary but BUY,BUY,BUY!!
on 5 March 2016
Good product but i was actually a little taken aback by amall size. Yes i know it says 'glovebox' but i was expecting A5 sort of size, and this is more pocket-sized than glovebox sized! That said, it had all the basic info and presented in very clear concise format; exactly what i wanted for young driver who's just got his first car.
on 23 May 2015
Very useful little guide that covers everything you need to know about car maintenance. It has a checklist for the Winter months, as well as for your M.O.T. How to change wheel, how to change a bulb and how to jump start your car are just a few of the helpful sections in this book. It is the size of my hand as well so it fits perfectly into the glove box, ready when needed.
review image
on 13 March 2016
Excellent book. Covers the basics and explains things clearly without being patronising. I recently passed my test and hoping to get a car soon. This handy little book has been a real confidence booster.
on 23 August 2013
For everyone who doesn't know a dipstick from a tyre pressure gauge, this book is essential - it ought to be compulsory!

Clearly written, superb pictures and small enough to easily fit in the glovebox.

Just excellent.
on 29 April 2010
This is a great little book. It's clear and simple without being patronising and is a perfect size to keep in the car. I'm much more confident doing the basic checks where before I would have worried I'd be doing more damage than good! Top marks for making it so accessible to a complete novice like me.
on 22 August 2016
Very informative and easy to understand, in a non-condescending way. Perfect to brush up on the basics under the bonnet and to keep as a go-to, this is an ideal reference book for all drivers regardless of age or experience.