on 30 March 2013
A well thought out story line, excellent description of setting and characters. Painfully thought provoking at times.
I really enjoyed reading this novel. I liked the idea of seeing the slave's position in both Jamaica and Liverpool. Also tells us a good deal about the lives of women (even rich ones) at the end of the 18th century.
on 20 July 2007
I really enjoyed this book. It was easy to read, great characterisation, and I had tears in my eyes at the end. I can't find if Patricia Burton has written anything else, but if she has I would like to read more from her.
on 17 May 2013
Took this on holiday with me....Could not put it down. Quality piece of work will be reading the sequel next...but its got a lot to live up to. Best book I've read in the last fifteen years.
on 6 October 2013
I had many things I wanted to do this afternoon but I never did any of them as soon as I pick up this book I did not put it down till I had read it cover to cover.
It,s a book that make you smile and cry and think about one of the worst parts of our history and you feel for all the main people in the book.
I will not tell you the story but read it and let the story unfold. One of the best book I have read and already download the next one in my kindle.
on 19 February 2012
What an enthralling read. Got a second hand copy and it was one of the best books I have ever read. A lot of attention to historical detail.
on 8 December 2013
What a fantastic story! I can't praise Patricia Burton highly enough! Simply superb! I know this story will be with me for days!
on 26 October 2014
A reasonable story but fundamentally flawed because in 1772 Lord Mansfield's judgment led to practical freedom for all slaves living in England. A educated man like Daniel would have heard of this and even if he chose to stay with his mistresses because of loyalty surely him and the other slaves would have discussed the law and whether to stay or leave to be paid a wage.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 June 2015
This book was gripping to the very end. It paints a picture of man's inhumanity to man in all its guises. It also shows the indomitable soul. Am looking forward to 'Sullah's Child'.
on 30 January 2015
I enjoyed this book until the epilogue, why even bother to give it a name other than a repeat of the last chapter, which is all it was.
on 11 October 2014
Couldn't put it down so sad how people were treated so true of what happened