Format: Paperback|Change

Rarely do I purchase a camera guide book before purchasing the camera itself but this was one such occasion because I wanted an objective reference before possibly spending a great deal of money.

I had read numerous personal reviews of the Canon G1X Powershot camera in photography magazines and on the Web and in the main the endorsements were glowing. This is an award-winning camera of an unusual design. However, I also read repeated references to supposed weaknesses in its design and/or operation and I wanted to know if these criticisms were justified.

As far as I am aware this is the only book of its type concerning the Canon G1X Powershot camera. I did not know it at the time but there was another benefit in buying this book, which I only realised when I purchased the camera. There is an increasing tendency to put user guides/manuals onto CDs and this camera kit was no exception. It contained a manual on CD. I still prefer reading books, which are convenient to carry and can be whipped out in seconds. The CD maybe more compact and saves the cutting down of trees but how do you access its data without a computer to hand!

This Expanded Guide is everything I expected: authoritative and detailed. This is a thick book and I will dip into it as and when necessary. It could be read from cover-to-cover but since this is a technical reference I plan to refer to it only when necessary. I usually carry the Expanded Guide when I am carrying the Canon G1X camera because it is the type of modern camera with a feature list as long as an arm and it is simply not possible to remember every feature.

I can thoroughly recommend this book because, as far as I am aware, it is unique.

I did find the answers I was looking for concerning the supposed weaknesses in the camera's design and operation.
on 29 December 2012
I have taken pictures for many years as both a snap shooter and doing more formal record shots. When I bought my first digital camera I was very disappointed at the lack of control over the actual taking of a picture. Welcome to the Canon G1X, I have all the control back again, but, this camera can do things I had only hoped about. However with this complexity comes a steep learning curve, I bought this book to assist me in mastering my camera. It was a good price, well packed and speedily delivered.
on 28 February 2013
Forget the measly (cd only) instructions provided by Canon with this camera.
This expanded guide is excellent. It is comprehensive, well written and well illustrated.
The only slight downside is that it is not quite small enough to be pocketable and take (easily) into the field. Neverthess it's worth every penny.
on 25 February 2013
Great book, clearly written,and easy to follow. Useful Pocket mode guide cards with it.
Persuaded me to buy the Camera
on 26 February 2014
A very handy book to have for reference. The Canon G1X is a versatile piece of kit with lots of adjustments which are easily forgotten or not even known about at first glance.
This well written book in a handy size is ideal for dipping into if you need to find out or refresh your memory on the various aspects of the camera. If like me you do not enjoy reading the downloadable Canon user manual then it is money well spent.
on 24 February 2013
It's a nice book!
A lot of details, a lot of pictures, clear explanation... if you're not a "manual" reader this really help you!
Canon Powershot G1 X is an excellent camera!
Cheers
on 29 March 2013
In the absence of a printed instruction manual from the camera manufacturer, this is the best alternative. This will be a useful book.
on 17 December 2013
This is a must for all G1X users as it is better than the user manual. Also the user manual is a download that is not user friendly. I you have not bought it do so now you will not regret it
Alan
on 15 August 2014
This book looks really good - not been through it all yet, but a massive improvement on the inconvenient CD based instruction manual supplied with camera. Looks to be just the job to allow maximum results from this camera - very well presented and easy to understand.
on 27 September 2014
Arrived within 24 hours with economy delivery! I have not fully read this yet, but certainly enough to know that it is excellent value for the price. It is well planned, sensibly informative, and very well illustrated in full colour. This is NOT a book of the authors favourite pictures and basic how to 'do' photography, it supplies what you need to know about your latest camera in a pleasant consise manner.