- Also check our best rated Camera reviews
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Digital Camera - Black (12.1MP, Super Wide Angle, 35x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch Vari-Angle LCD
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 35x ultra wide-angle (24-840mm) optical zoom lens with Ultrasonic Motor for fast zooming
- Intelligent IS adapts the class-leading optical Image Stabilizer to the scene (7 modes)
- 12.1 MP HS System with powerful DIGIC 5 processor for great results even in low-light
- Full HD movies (1080p) with optical zoom, stereo sound and HDMI-CEC
- Smart Auto with Multi-area WB detects 32 scene types and optimises settings
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What do customers buy after viewing this item?
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you've entered a valid question. You can edit your question or post anyway.
Compare with similar items
Canon SX540 HS PowerShot Camera - Black
Canon CAN2395 PowerShot SX60 HS Camera Black 16.1MP 65xZoom 3.0LCD FHD 21mm Wide WiFi
Panasonic DMC-FZ72 Camera Black 16.1MP 60xZoom 3.0LCD FHD 20mm Lumix DC Vario
Sony DSCH300 Digital Compact Bridge Camera - Black
Canon PowerShot SX620 HS Digital Camera - Black
|Shipping||—||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Available from these sellers||SKYWISH||e-ocean||1A-PHOTO-PORST||ONLY BRANDED||Amazon.co.uk|
|Display Size||2.7 inches||3 inches||3 inches||3 inches||3 inches||3 inches|
|Effective Still Resolution||12.1 megapixels||20.3 megapixels||8||16.1||20.1||20.2 megapixels|
|Has Image Stabilization||Yes||—||—||—||Yes||—|
|Item Dimensions||12.29 x 10.77 x 9.24 cm||9.19 x 12 x 8.17 cm||—||11.82 x 13.02 x 9.7 cm||73.5 x 6 x 44.6 cm||2.8 x 9.7 x 5.5 cm|
|Item Weight||0.56 kg||418 grams||0.61 kg||0.56 kg||495 grams||180 grams|
|Max Focal Length||150.5 mm||1,200 mm||1,365 mm||1,200 mm||954 mm||625 mm|
|Min Focal Length||4.3 mm||24 mm||21 mm||20 mm||157.5 mm||—|
|Optical Sensor Resolution||12.1 megapixels||—||16.8||16.8||20.1||20.2 megapixels|
|Removable Memory||Secure Digital card; Secure Digital card||Secure Digital card||Secure Digital card; Secure Digital card||Secure Digital card; Secure Digital card||Secure Digital card; Memory Stick||—|
|Special Feature||Serial Shot Mode; Shutter Priority; Aperture Priority||Shutter Priority; Aperture Priority||Serial Shot Mode; Shutter Priority; Aperture Priority||Serial Shot Mode^Shutter Priority^Aperture Priority||-||—|
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
The PowerShot SX40 HS is a versatile compact point-and-shoot camera that easily captures amazing photos and videos. The Canon HS SYSTEM boosts low-light performance with the new Canon DIGIC 5 Image Processor and a high-sensitivity 12.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor. This advanced Canon technology delivers stunning image quality with reduced noise and blur. Colours are more vibrant and white balance is true-to-life. The 35x Optical Zoom offers incredible reach and range, allowing you to shoot any scene, near or far. The Optical Image Stabilizer helps images come out steady and clear, and a 24mm ultra Wide-Angle lens makes it easy to take pictures of large groups of people, tall buildings, expansive landscapes and much more. The camera also features a 2.7-inch Vari-angle LCD for great shooting flexibility. Packed with an array of powerful technologies, the PowerShot SX40 HS is a convenient digital camera capable of brilliant image capture.
Buyer must be over 18. Only valid Credit or Debit card acceptedSee all Product description
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I have a Canon 600D SLR with several lens up to 250mm I bought a Tokina 400mm without IS it was so heavy and I could not get on with it. So I sold it and bought the SX40 HS mainly for the 35x 840 mm Telephoto zoom.
I've had Canon bridge cameras before so I know what their like. I've had good results and looking at the finished photo's it's only by looking at the Exif file I can tell which camera I used.
No Raw files but I can live without that! And if you're an 'Old Git' like me the Flipout twisty screen is a Godsend. Also the `Burst Rate' is good for aircraft/bird shots.
It fit's in my camera bag along with my SLR and I now feel I can tackle any photographic situation that may arise.
I can recommend this camera
I have had many Canons over my life and usually been very happy.
This one is a stinker. Why?
(1) It is slow to take photos - Less a "point and click" more a "Point, click, wait, swear" as the auto focus invariably choses the wrong thing to focus on.
(2) If confused, the lens will default a mid setting, so in macro work will focus on the leaf behind the flower in the foreground. For distance work (air shows for example) it focuses at 2 to 5 meters rather then at infinity where the aircraft is.
(3) You can use the so called manual focus which involves rapidly rotating the control ring again and again, but if you drop back to Auto, you just lost your manual focus setting. When you go back to Manual, you have to rotate the wheel multiple times again.
(4) The manual white ballance also gives a bad result the first time you envoke it so you have to do it again.
(5) Try apeture priority? For some reason this will cause the image to be radically over exposed
(6) And it cannot render the colour purple, either... it comes out blue unless you correct it in Photoshop later.
(7) the jpegs are very grainy even at iso 100. According to some forums the setting is the equivalent of the "90%" setting in Photoshop. I would say it is worse
The images attached have been cropped to this size and not rescaled
All in all this is a very bad camera
The zoom is massive, smooth and very controllable.
The pictures are exceptionally sharp and have a beautiful colour balance.
The camera has sooooo many modes and features that you should never be without the functions you need.
I LOVE the "rapid multi-shot mode" which takes up to 8 pictures in just over a second allowing you to always get the image you need.
The Face Recognition mode is also brilliant. In this mode you don't need to press the shutter, you just point the camera at the person or people you are interested in and as soon as the camera detects a smile it takes a number of pictures. Brilliant for photographing the kids playing etc.
I would happily recommend this camera to anyone.
Just as a quick note. A 32GB memory card will hold over 9000 pictures at the largest size the camera will do.
Interior shots are generally very good, however the flash is often described as being too bright. So I'll be tinkering around with the manual settings in future.
Most recent customer reviews