on 16 October 2012
I bought this printer as I needed one quickly to print off some documents, and I just wanted a bog standard one to print off simple black and white documents with no graphics. In hindsight I think I should have shopped around a bit more to see what else is on offer.

Overall this printer has a lot of good points but also bad.

Good:

1. The paper never seems to get jammed or stuck. Maybe I have been lucky but it seems to be good at picking up one sheet at a time and not jamming. I have used both paper and labels, and the label sheets have been through a few times and gone a bit curly, but the printer still picks them up.
2. Easy to set up, I just plugged it in and off it went. Windows 7 even installed the drivers so no need to put the CD in.
3. The top of the printer has a scanner - I haven't used that so I can't comment on what it's like. But it's great for storage as you can pop things on top! I keep my spare paper and labels on there. My last printer had the feed on the top so you couldn't store anything on top of it.

Bad:

1. Ink usage. Oh how I wish I looked into this before I bought it. Canon say it will do 180 pages on a regular cartridge... not on mine it won't. Maybe I print things with a lot of black, but I estimate I have printed about 200 pages and I've just finished my second cartridge. Which cost about £13 each. So that's about 13p per page. Not cheap.
2. Colour ink usage. I only print in black and white. When I noticed after printing a few pages that some of the colour ink had gone too, I realised it was using both cartridges to create the black colour, so using up even more ink! After some research, I read that changing the print settings to "greyscale" helps, but it still uses up some of the colour cartridge (in my experience it still uses about 1/4 colour to every 1 black cartridge). However, you can buy XL cartridges which claim to print 600 pages and they don't cost much more (about £16) so these are well worth investing in.
3. As others have mentioned, there is no USB cable which is not obvious when you are buying it. Luckily I still had one from my old printer, so no emergency trip to the shop was necessary.

Conclusion: A great little printer for occasional use. If you are going to do some big print runs then stock up on the old XL size cartridges. If you'll be printing several hundred pages then it's worth spending a bit more on a printer which is cheaper to run.
on 3 January 2013
We replaced a HP printer that just went hay-wire and this MG2150 was a worthy replacement!
It is cheap but you get a good printer, people who moan about the ink price should check before they buy and not moan after buying one....

We have had ours 6 months with varied use and only just replaced the cartridges with XL ones which are more cost effective.

We did not buy the printer through Amazon but we get our cartridges from them.

We recommend it to anyone who wants a general purpose printer that also does a good photo too.......
on 1 September 2012
Very pleased with our Canon Pixma, it came very quickly and was easy to set up and even easier to use. The print quality is great for text and photcopying although not the best photo quality ive seen. Having said that it was easily as good as our previous Epson photo printer.... A worthy 9/10.
on 16 October 2013
I've had this printer for just about a year now, with windows 7 on my laptop.

I can deal with the expensive and excessive ink usage and the extra 30 seconds of noise making it needs before and after printing a single sheet of paper.

What I can't handle is the DRIVER. One minute it will work fine, the next, DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED. Restart the computer... DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED... Uninstall and re-install the driver... DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED. In fact, the only thing that fixes this is doing a system restore of my computer to delete the god forsaken driver properly. Simply uninstalling it does not actually fully uninstall whatever causes the problem, you have to do an entire system restore of your computer to remove it. Then put the instillation CD in and wait 20 minutes to re-install it again.

This happened once or twice every 3 months or so at first, and a year later it's now happening once a week minimum. If you so much as TOUCH the usb plug, the driver completely loses it. Was it turned on when you pluged it in? DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED. Was it not fully off when you unplugged it? DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED. Did you gently touch the usb cable? DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED. Now you get to do a 30 minute dance of clearing out your computer and re-installing software to print out that one thing you desperately needed 20 minutes ago.

This is now occurring with 2 different unrelated laptops regularly.

Ridiculous that canon couldn't be bothered to put a proper driver on their printers.
on 28 August 2013
Dreadful, dreadful printer that is almost impossible to use. Plug it in and it seems to be just what the photographer ordered, but that will not last long.

You will spend hours trying to figure out what has gone wrong. The software is aggressive (the `Solutions menu' will stick itself on your doc at any opportunity and defy attempts to get it off) and it does not even have an ink check that I can find. All the issues are displayed in a secret code on the printers tiny display board, and you have to find and read the hidden manuel on your computer to find out what it means. Solutions my left foot!

The display does not even tell you which cartridge has run out FFS! Are you supposed to replace both!? You'll need lots of money because, despite what reviews say, it seems to eat ink.

It is impossible to refill the cartridges yourself, fair do's, but I'd wished I'd known; but the fact the scanner will not work if the ink runs out is not acceptable. The fact HP and Kodak do the same shows that technical reviews are not doing their job. It should be the first thing at the top of the review, then the manufactures will stop this wholly unacceptable, robbing trick.

Avoid.
on 23 July 2012
With a couple of reservations this is a good piece of kit for the money. It installed easily on my Macbook Air and my wife's Compaq Windows Vista laptop and it does everything competently. However I have one minor moan and one major one. The minor moan is that it isn't possible to download a copy of the user manual. My Macbook doesn't have a DVD drive so I can't use the supplied CD Rom. The driver software downloaded quickly and easily from the Apple site but the manual isn't available either there or on Canon's own website. The major moan is the same as one of the other reviewers - the hefty cost of the ink cartridges. I bought the MG2150 in a hurry following the death of my existing printer at a highly inconvenient moment. If I'd had more time for research and if I'd realised just how dear the ink is I'd probably have bought something else. Fingers crossed that compatible cartridges soon become available.
on 16 December 2012
I bought this to replace my old broken Canon printer. It was very easy to set up and is compatible with Windows XP (Which I use)
It's very neat looking as the paper loads from the front, not from the back like some printers. The ink tanks are easy to load from a panel at the front.
It comes with both black and colour ink cartridges and a power cord. It does NOT include the USB cable which you will have to purchase separately. I just used the one from my old machine and this was fine.
The printing quality is good although it does seem to be a little noisier than my last printer, but I'm not going to moan about that at these prices!!
Overall I am very happy with this item.
on 9 February 2013
I'm really pleased I bought this as my first printer. I have used all three functions, and they all suit my needs perfectly well. This is not a high-end printer, but then that is reflected in the price. If you primarily want to scan and print documents, and print the odd photo here and there, this should be perfect for you.

A few things to consider:

This machine only prints/scans A4 size and below.
The machine is quite bulky, larger then I expected so please bear this in mind.
You will need to buy a USB cable separately.

I bought this printer for £30 from ASK, and at that price I think it was a bargain!
on 29 June 2012
GOOD PRINTER FOR THE PRICE. I HAVE HAD NO ISSUES WITH THE ACTUAL MACHINE OTHER THAN THE USB CABLE DIDNT COME WITH IT AND I HAVE HAD TO BUY A NEW ONE. WOULD HAVE BEEN USEFUL IF THIS HAD BEEN OBVIOUS WHEN PURCHASING.

MY MAIN COMPLAINT IS THAT I DIDNT REALISE THE INKS WOULD BE SO EXPENSIVE! HAVING HAD CANON PRINTERS BEFORE I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ABLE TO GET COMPATIBLE INKS FOR A DECENT PRICE. HOWEVER THERE ARE NO COMPATIBLES FOR THIS MG2150 YET AND A COLOUR AND BLACK INK WILL SET YOU BACK AROUND £32
22 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 January 2014
I am very pleased with this printer and being able to send printing wireless from my laptop is brilliant. The wireless was extremely easy to set up. The printer arrived in good time. It is very efficient and I think quite quiet. No complaints :-)