on 10 March 2017
This is a brilliant product.
on 19 February 2013
Scanning seems to work OK on my Mac but the device has two negative issues.

Firstly if you have it set to auto detect duplex then the slightest mark on the back of a single sided scan gives you two sides. When you get this into the supplied software there is no easy way to delete the unwanted second page. This kind of ruins the use of the one touch button hardware interface.

Secondly the multi-page sheet feed option is virtually unusable. When the manual tells you to insert the paper a bit wonky... well you know this is not going to be a reliable feature and it's not worked so far for me. Even feeding a single sheet is a bit temperamental requiring the paper to be pushed hard against the sheet feed mechanism

I wish I'd gone elsewhere.
on 5 April 2013
I purchased this unit in Oct 2012, to replace a CANON P150M.
This previous model worked so well at de-skewing that it wasn't even necessary to set the document guides for most documents, and even for thin receipts.

On the CANON P215 it was immediately obvious that the de-skew software doesn't work.

AMAZON provided a replacement machine, just in case, but the new one had exactly the same problem.

I carried out a great many of test scans with various settings, to highlight the problem, and submitted them all to CANON Technical Support,
and the issue has been escalated to the developers in Japan.

I have been chasing CANON for a resolution, and the latest news is that there is no time frame for a resolution.

Also...
When scanning multiple page documents, the detector often includes blank pages, even though it is meant to remove them.
After scanning, you have to click 'save'; whereas the software on the P150 automatically placed the pdf document in the location of your choosing.

On the plus side, the P215 Scanner is neat, light, and quick, especially when the optional power adaptor is connected as well.
The documents are extremely faithful renditions of the originals. (Except there is some colour fading, which was also reported to CANON to no avail.)
The OCR works well, and make most pdf output easily searchable.

I could put up with the colour lightening, but not the skewed documents, and so the scanner gets 2 stars from me,

If CANON fixed the issues I have mentioned then I would then probably score it 4 or even 5 stars.

Update...
On 5th Apr 2013 AMAZON gave a full refund for the P215, and I purchased a FUJITSU S1300i ScanSnap which works flawlessly!
on 10 June 2013
I use this for scanning documents I need to keep but dont want to have to store in paper form. Good and bad points:

- good: it's tiny and takes up very little desk space
- good: comes with the software built in and the software works well
- good: quality of the scans is very good indeed considering the size

- bad: it claims to be multi-sheet feed but it rarely manages to grab more than the first sheet without you having to feed it in by hand
- bad: the sheet can get slightly out of line when it feeds in unless you steer it in by hand.
- bad: it's a tad pricey for what you get

Overall it was the best solution I could find for small, good quality. low volume scanning and I'm happy with it.
on 28 May 2014
I have a Fujitsu scansnap which I use at home. I needed something to use when I am away from the office and this appears to fit the bill. It is simple to use and scans OK but the paperfeed is not fit for purpose. I have now scanned 50 documents of between 8 and 20 pages into this and of those, only 2 have gone through with every page fed through independently. For all the other documents, despite all the dodges of riffling the paper and even dampening the leading edges, the machine very often grabs more than one sheet, sometimes 5-6 at a time. Because I need the documents to go through reliably I have found that the only way I can do this is by feeding the document in page by page. This is not what I wanted from this machine. Extremely frustrating.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The product boasts fast install and scanning capability, and that much is very true indeed. It took less than 5 minutes to install and switch on the scanner using the direct plug in (auto play) method via USB cable. If you have USB 3.0 ports on your computer then you won't need to do anymore than that, if you only have USB 2.0 then you have the option of using the extra power USB cable (also supplied) to use a second port on your computer in order to reach true high speed scanning capability of the Canon device.
You can get away with not looking at the manual at all. If you are familiar with autoplay folder search and doule clicking on the relevant .exe file in the device folder. Otherwise, it might be a good idea to look at the provided manual to get you started.

The file saving and OCR text recognition capability is good. The latter does not pick up unusual or non English words very well for searching of text in PDF resulting documents after your scan, but it is not bad for such a rapid turnaround. On first operation I scanned three pages of different sizes, they flowed through smoothly and quickly, and the resulting image is on the computer is of outstanding quality. So the scanning capability cannot be faulted in my opinion, other than inclusion of better OCR software for the word processing afterwards. For the price of the scanner, I am disappointd the software isn't more sophisticated.

As for portability. I said "sort of" in the title because although you can carry around easily enough with your laptop or netbook, other than that, the true portability functiins are limited. There is no option of internal memory or memory card addition to keep scans in there before transferring to a computer (u need to have one with you all the time). I have a netbook so it's not so bad, but I don't always want my netbook with me (I have an iPad) and inclusion of iPad connectivity option would have been an amazing advatntage.

Some portable scanners have wifi, this Canon one does not. At the price I would have expected inclusion of iPad AirPrint connectivity to be able to scan over wifi from an iPad for example. Or at least wifi capability with computers so as not to have to carry cake around too. A one touch scan button from the scanner itself is also non existent. For these reasons, I can't say I am fully impressed and indeed somewhat disappointed of the lack of portable functionality.

A true portable scanner would allow scanning of pages from multiple bound documents by letting you run the scanner physically over the required page. This Canon P-215 only works with single pages fed through it's ( admittedly very effective) feeder end, although you can use multiple unbound single pages of different sizes, queued in on top of each other, within reasonable limit of page numbers.

Finally to end this in a positive comment, I am very impressed with the fact that the scanner recognises and scans double sided documents in one single feed. So you don't have to turn then around and do the back page separately, the scanner reads both sides simultaneously as it has imaging hardware for both sides.

Recommended if you want a light, semi portable scanner, with excellent quality, sharp imaging, rapid scanning capability.
on 6 June 2013
Over the past few years I have had FOUR Canon Multifunction machines that, sooner rather than later, just gave up the ghost when it came to scanning documents. My conclusion was that, while those Multifunctions copied and printed perfectly, a scanning function also was one step too far for such machines. That is why I purchased this standalone scanner.

Two weeks on and I have not been disappointed. About the size of a bigger-than-average pencil case, it can be situated in small corners and can be removed easily if it gets in the way. I have found the reproduction to be excellent whether it be document or photograph. It was expensive but, as I do a lot of scanning, it was worth every penny and, as it scans in colour making the copy identical to the scanned principal, it saves me a fortune in postage costs. It installed without difficulty.

The only two minor drawbacks are that you must be very careful when plugging or unplugging the cable connection at the rear as it could be rather fragile and that you do not try and close the machine with the document guide bars still open.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 May 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is an excellent portable scanner, it's very easy to set-up and start using and the results are impressive.

Out of the box I read the instructions on how to plug it in. Initially I thought it was rubbish not having an AC socket included but it is powered either by one USB cable (slower scanning unless it is USB 3.0) or by two USBs (one then dedicated to power and one to data transfer) which allows for high speed scanning. You can buy an optional AC socket if you wish, but in my experience it is just not necessary unless you haven't got two spare USB sockets.

Plug it in, make sure it is switched on at the back and then open the cover up. It automatically switches on and starts up the installation process. I am using a Macbook Pro and I double clicked the launcher icon. It then just works! Simple! I found something I wanted to scan and pressed the scan button (or you can click the software to scan). It scans doubled sided within about 5 seconds for an A4 page. The quality is great and you can save the scan as PDF, TIFF or JPG.

I tested some longer documents and it scanned them all easily, feeding each page through one by one.

For the ease of use, quality of scan and tiny footprint I would easily recommend this scanner. Impressively good for its small dimensions.
on 8 July 2013
I bought this scanner to digitise many years of accumulated paperwork & it has not disappointed.

- It is small, light & powered from a USB 3 socket - so no need for an external power adapter.
- You can load up the document feeder and it manages to feed them one sheet at a time through the scanner.
- It optionally scans both sides of the document at one time
- Running at 150% DPI it scans documents quickly
- It collates subsequent document scans into a single PDF output

If I had once slight complaint it would be that the scanner software could be better. Particularly in the PDF editing department - it would be nice to rotate individual pages for example, when the page orientation functionality has got it wrong.

Would recommend that if you are buying this, that you consider complimenting it some kind of PDF editing software that allows you to fine tune your scanned documents (rotate, change page order and delete unwanted pages for example)

Other than that a great product.
on 30 October 2014
The scanner itself is very good. The software accompanying the scanner is very good. The scanner is easy to use. Then why just one star? Well, I bought the scanner just six months ago. It ran perfectly on my Mac with Mavericks. I then updated my Mac to Yosemite. Silly me because the scanner is NO LONGER SUPPORTED UNDER YOSEMITE. I find this astonishing. I just hope this helps others when considering a Canon product.