- Also check our best rated Photography Book reviews
Canon EOS Rebel T3i / 600D: From Snapshots to Great Shots Paperback – 27 May 2011
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Jeff Revell has been shooting professionally for more than 25 years, and has a wide range of expertise in everything from landscape to travel to urban photography. Widely known as the photographer behind the popular Photowalk Pro blog (revellphotography.com/blog), Jeff shares inspirational images, hosts lively discussions, and creates tutorials on digital photography techniques. In addition, he leads training classes and hands-on workshops on digital imaging technology around the globe.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
So, for those who are moving up from entry level DSLR or perhaps have come from the world of compact cameras and who have not done any formal training in photography, this book is an absolute essential read. The owners manual that comes with the camera will explain what the buttons and menus do, but not how and when and why you would use such a setting. For novice or hobbyist photographers keen to develop their skill and make the most from this exceptional camera a few basics of photography theory will rapidly shift you in terms of the quality of pictures you take.
I love this book, in simple, straight forward and patient language the author communicates both a passion for the subject but also a desire to help others enjoy the joy and pleasure of creating truly awesome shots - let me tell you, within just a couple of hours you will start taking noticeably better pictures and by the time you have finished the book the potential of this exceptionally powerful camera will have been opened up to you. Clearly and concisely the author will help you understand the technical language of photography and explain how and when to adjust the "f-stop"; the shutter speed; understand the impact of "focal length", and know which lenses will achieve the shots you imagine in your mind. Digital SLR and especially the Canon EOS 600D make this so much easier than you might imagine.
The book is well illustrated and more importantly, all of the pictures are annotated with the settings the author used - this helps you make sense of how the theory relates to practice and it can be entertaining testing yourself by guessing the settings before looking at the annotation. As well as covering the how and why of each of the features the camera offers the author uses the latter part of the book to cover the basics of picture composition.
The author encourages the reader to experiment with some guided exercises at the end of each chapter to consolidate the learning - I found myself impatient and rattled through the book in about four hours and went out to play. Suddenly I was producing work in a whole different league and the theory just made so much more sense. This is a book one can revisit of course - the sections are set out so that you can start with your favourite types of shot and then gen up on the theory for the remainder as you grow in confidence.
The book gave me everything I hoped for and easily achieves the stated mission - move from snap shots to great shots. It's like having a best mate who is a professional photographer dropping round for a cup of tea and then sitting patiently with you explaining how to use your new toy. This book offers the ultimate in "Does what it says" technology.
As it happens it was a very good decision. The Canon instructions are OK but this book get's you upto speed quickly.
I am a novice photographer and this book is written to help people of all levels engage with the 600D.
A recommended purchase for those starting out in the World of DSLR photography if using a 600D.
* The first chapter - Top 10 things to do when you get the camera out of the box. A great way to get over that first feeling of being intimidated by this hi-tech gadget! Makes you feel like you will get off full auto mode sooner than you thought...
* Before & after photos that show the essential settings. It gives the novice a place to start.
* Assignments at the end of each chapter. Suddenly what you have read makes sense!
* How to shoot certain photos (sport, portraits, landscapes etc). The book has many examples to make it simple & suggests the right settings as a starting point to explore each type.
My only negative for the book is that I did find some of the directions for locating a particular feature misleading. When I tried to follow a few (& only a few)steps it didn't get me to where I needed to be. Luckily, I also purchased the Canon 600D Digital Field Guide by Charlotte K Lowrie. It's instructions filled in the gaps (this book seems like the next step up in my DSLR journey but more on it when I have actually read it all!). If you are a complete novice at DSLR this book is a fantastic starting place.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Photography > Digital Photography
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Photography > Reference
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Photography > Techniques & Tools
- Books > Computing & Internet > Digital Photography
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > Image Manipulation & Creation