Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 December 2010
I'm not usually too keen on the For Dummies books, but this book was extremely useful. Having taken a photography course at the local college and bought a 550D (so far having spent more than £1000 on the camera and accesories), it is absolutely critical to make good use of that investment, therefore a book which is aimed at the right level of reader, and explaining all jargon used, is essential.

This book might not hit the mark for those more familiar with the subject matter, but for those, like myself, who were starting out, this book is strongly recommended. In fact, I'm now rereading it for the second time, as, having figured out how to fully control manual settings with ambient light, I now need to figure out all the settings for flash photograhy, and also brush up on more advanced settings which I had forgotten previously - my brain can only take so much in at one go!
33 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 September 2012
I bought this and the Digital Field Guide for the same camera, and wish I hadn't bothered with the DFG. This Dummies book is what I thought the DFG was, with masses of information well-arranged. The best thing are the squillions of pictures of what the LCD screen should look like when you want certain things or to change something. The second best is a list of what all the icons are on the top of the main menu - doubtless I could find that out from the camera manual, but it is far better presented here and in colour. I find I am constantly dipping into it to check I'm on the right track. This is rather larger than the DFG but so much better. Now all I want is a half size version to slip into the camera bag, with only the essential out and about stuff included. An essential reference book for 550D users, in my opinion.
on 19 September 2010
Great Book.
This Dummy reckons even he can now turn the camera on, next bit looks actually understandable.Well worth the confidence boost that the book gives.
on 31 October 2010
Great book for understanding the 550D, it covers all the topics anybody would need to be able to produce great photographs.
Greatly recommended !!
on 13 January 2013
this book has very good sections relating to the explanation of what the camera can do. All the buttons and menus are fully explained. Where I feel it could be better is a more detailed section for real life situations. There is to be fair a little of this but not much meat on the bone.
on 7 September 2010
As a newcomer to SLR photography this book has been a great help in getting me started,does everything is says it does.
on 2 January 2012
A superb illustrated practical easy reading book by an undoubted expert on this camera. Worth every penny for it has so much practical, besides the essential information to master this camera. Good value.
on 24 May 2014
I am learning so much from this book about features on my camera that I did not know about!, it has been a very invaluable purchase!!! I would strongly recommend to anyone who has a 550D canon camera! LOVE IT
on 4 May 2011
A nice book with about 350 pages of high quality colour print. The content is perfect for someone new to dSLR photography who has purchased the canon 550d/RebelT2i/Kiss. It explains not only the 550d's functions and buttons but also what they mean, how to and why to adjust advanced settings, and even a few tips on editing with software/printing.
on 20 February 2013
This book is an amazing insite into a camera and contains everything you need to know but where afraid to ask! It's illustrations are very straight forward with picture guides. Brilliant book, would recommend to all.