on 9 January 2010
This is a good book for the beginner using the Canon 500D camera (in the USA: Rebel T1i).

Chapters are clearly laid out so the book can be used cover to cover, or by looking up specific topics.

If you are new to the Canon 500D, digital photography, or photography in general; or you want to develop existing skills with this camera; this is the book for you.

Take a look at:
Canon EOS Rebel T1i/500D for Dummies
on 9 March 2010
An excellent bok written in an easy to understand format with plenty of photographic examples. I am a fairly experienced photographer but still learnt a lot from this book. The explanations were much easier to understand than the Canon's manual that came with the camera. The author also told beginners what settings were advisable and what functions not to bother with. I thoroughly recommend this book.
on 27 November 2010
I bought this book back in October. I have (almost!) read it front to back, and I have to say that it has been incredibly useful to teach me. As an absolute beginner with digital SLRs, the first chapter detailing exactly how to attach a lens, remove a lens and how to zoom properly was a life saver. I would imagine that I would have just tried to put it on any old how without reading the manual that comes with it (my own fault, I know). As you progress through the book, it teaches you exactly how to use each of the different pictures modes, as well as explaining what some of the terms mean and how you apply them, such as apperture and f/stops. Finally, it explains how to use the software that comes with the camera correctly. Brilliant book for beginners such as myself! However, I have found some of the explanations a little bit difficult, and I think the book would have benefited from a glossary or similar, although the diagram at the front showing where all the buttons are and the table explaining the picture modes were also a great help.
on 18 May 2010
As a new DSLR user, this book was fantastic. It explains everything in very clear details and uses pictures to aid the explanations. If you have this camera, this is the book to accompany. Very Easy to use. Clear. Practical. Useful. :)
on 6 May 2010
If you don't know a lot about cameras and have just splashed out on a 500d - buy this book!

It is orders of magnitude better than the manual and gives hundreds of additional useful photography tips.
on 27 August 2010
I found this book very useful as this was my first digital SLR. It gives simple explanations for everything the camera can do and suggests ways to use all the settings. I would reccomend this to any new digital SLR user.
on 20 September 2010
As usual the dummy books do just what they say and teach dummies to use complicated equipment.

Great for me and used a lot of the useful advice on a recent holiday.
on 6 October 2010
great read if you have a 500d all you need to know is there, 100%
on 21 February 2011
Julie Adair King's guide to the 500D is straight forward, no-nonsense stuff, and thoroughly recommended. It's also well indexed so that you can easily refer back and remind yourself how to bracket exposures, change to spot metering, set rear-curtain flash or find out about any of the dozens of creative options available on your Canon. If I were to make a criticism it would be that it could be more portable, but that's just nit-picking. In summary, this book will tell you how to do practically everything the 500D is capable of, and also reveal when/why/where you should (or should not) set your camera up with particluar settings.
on 22 June 2011
As I have a keen interest in photography I saved for a decent camera the canon 500D - I looked up some books containing the title 500D Canon photography on amazon and thought this one would be the most helpful. You might be familier with the 'dummies series' and they have a reputation in supplying the most complicated knowledge in understandable capacities so I went for this book and it has not let me down yet. For the price I was particularly pleased and impressed with the information and style it had to impart. Amazon allow you to look inside the book before purchase so give it a try you might like what you see like I did.