Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 21 April 2008
This field guide will appeal to beginners through to the serious amateur. It covers all the technical stuff as well as some good guidance on photography in general. If you have recently purchased the 40D and wanted a good book then this is it. If I had to be picky then my only criticism is the continued reference to L series lenses, which whilst ideal are often out of financial reach for many. You can get some very good results with some cheaper lenses.
11 Comment| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 July 2008
Having been a keen amateur photographer for 40 years, I hoped this book would "top up" my knowledge for this advanced bit of kit. Well, just a few pages in, I realised how little I knew and very quickly was taking much better shots and working my way through the more sophisticated features.

Sections on white balance, photo styles and computer editing, whilst not always specific to the 40D, are very useful indeed.

Highly recommended for getting the most out of the great camera.
on 14 February 2010
Having recently bought a Canon 40D, I needed a book that went beyond the normal instruction manual that came with the camera. I class myself as a keen photographer, but by no means an expert. This book I found to be excellent. It has everything you need to know laid out in an easy to follow format, and covers everything in a well illustrated and nicely written style. There are plenty of colour pictures, and with the camera on my lap, I spent many a winters evening playing with the controls of the camera until it all fell into place. I think there are many photgraphers like me, who are moving from a more basic camera up to a more complicated model, and need some help and guidance. I found this book an excellent companion on that journey, and I certainly learnt a lot I didn't know. I would highly recommend it, and think its a bargain price on Amazon.
on 17 July 2011
I am new to DSLR photography (bought a 2nd hand 40D) and thought this book woul dhelp me to get the most out of the camera.

I would say this book is just a more complete version of the manual. There is not a lot of 'if you and this result - try these settings', but rather there is a lot of descriptions of what a setting does to the camera. I was hoping this would give more examples of how the myriad or configuration settings would change the photo you are taking.

anyway - it does offer value over and above the canera manual, but I was dissapointed really.
on 4 October 2009
I have found that the book is a great guide in understanding how the Eos 40D handles the varying conditions in taking photographs, it is far better than the booklet Canon supplied when purchasing the camera.It explains the many functions and menus on the camera and gives useful tips and advice on taking better photographs. The only criticism I have got is that the author assumes we can all afford the better quality L series lenses, which unfortunately I cannot,so I am restricted in quality to the Canon lenses that I own,but as a guide I am very satisfied with my purchase.
on 28 November 2010
An excellent book. This title compliments the user manual very well. The multitude of functions the camera has are clearly explained. There are many tips and examples of how to use the camera as well as items not found elsewhere, such as how to upgrade the firmware.

I recommend this to anyone buying this camera.
on 4 February 2012
There's me thinking I knew most things about cameras!?
How wrong could I have been?
Having upgraded to the 40D I thought it best to know my new tool inside out before taking on events such as weddings and portraits. Well, this book is showing me just what a complex tool the 40D is.
I had so many questions and this book has answered most, if not all, of them. I take it with me every time I go out with the camera as I find it impossible to remember all the settings that this piece of equipment offers.
I would have renamed the book though.... "The ESSENTIAL guide to the 40D! If you want to get the best from this camera, you need this book. Simple as that!
on 23 August 2009
A great little book if you have the 40D and don't know EVERYTHING about it. I certainly didn't until I read this book, now I know 90%. Still not everything, but believe me this got me there a lot faster than the Canon guides.
on 30 January 2012
My EOS 40D is the 4th Canon D-SLR I've owned and each is more complex than the one before! The 40D instruction manual is adequate but after coming across Charlotte K Lowrie's book on the internet I decided to buy it from Amazon. Where it scores over the camera handbook is that the author gives practical advice on setting the camera up in order to get the best out of it with explanations and photos taken with a 40D to illustrate her points. As well as dealing with the camera itself the book covers the software to use for opening raw images and useful information. If you really want to get the best out of an excellent camera then you owe it to yourself to buy this book!
on 10 January 2012
This is far better than the Magic Lantern book BUT it was a bad mistake to get the Kindle version ~ it's a proper pain to spot-refer to some point or other. Its content is very useful and unlike some other camera manuals does not read like a generic text adapted for one model. I'm happy to recommend this to 40D owners without reserve - EXCEPT get the paper copy not the Kindle one!