on 15 February 2009
This is an excellent camera and my first DSLR. I upgraded from a compact 5MP Kodak Z series and I was thinking of going for the EOS 450D. After reading reviews & going to a local photography store, I was told that it wasnt worth the extra money for a first DSLR as many of the features of the 450D are lended to this camera. So I decided to get this one along with a Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di LD Macro lens. My pictures are the snowy ones above and I think i've got some fabulous results. The controls on the camera are easy as pie to use, I've got big hands and have no problems gripping it or pressing buttons; there are even different colour themes on the LCD to suit your taste. The auto function is good for general picture taking in daylight or even low light conditions however I always switch to manual for low light. I have a standard kodak tripod but personally I don't think the camera needs one even at maximum zoom or in low light.
Battery power is tremendous. I've been snapping away for weeks now with and without the flash and must have taken 4-500 pics and the power indicator is at 50%. One thing is for sure if you take this baby on a 2 week holiday you wont need to take its charger.
As for extra lenses, its hard to find a good inexpensive short focal length but most people tend to like the Canon 50mm which is sold on Amazon. Remember that an excellent camera with a bad lens is just as good as a cheaper camera with an excellent lens.
review image review image review image review image review image
11 Comment| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 August 2008
OK, so the price is a bit steep on launch, but that's what you pay for being an early adopter. Having at one time or another owned a body from every level of Canon's range I can happily say this one has not dissapointed. Purchased as a replacement for a 350D the first few days with it have been a satisfying experience.
It's a little plasticy and would benefit from the battery grip, particularly with larger lenses, but the picture taking side of things appears excellent. The image quality is splendid as we are all used to from Canon and the ergonomics are great.
If you have the pennies you can't go wrong !
22 Comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 December 2009
Excellent thanks. I should have gone to Amazon first, but was lured by slightly better prices, to my cost.
Camera body is everything I hoped it would be, excellent start in the world of DSLR cameras.
on 8 March 2009
Excellent product delivered promptly. Already having a film based EOS system and lenses I wanted to "upgrade" to digital. The digital body is fully compatible with my existing kit and performs very well. The detailed specification listed helped make my decision to purchase.
on 20 February 2010
I treated myself to the Canon 1000D kit complete with the EF-S 18-55 kit lens for Christmas (my 'To Me, From Me' present) and I'm not disappointed. I wouldn't describe myself as a photography buff at all and prior to buying this camera used a neat little Canon Powershot compact. So why change? Having initially pooh poohed the idea of a Digital SLR as far too complicated and too much of a 'serious' camera for me, I was persuaded otherwise by someone who had the Canon 500D and having been persuaded that it was just as easy to use as my point and shoot with full auto settings (and it was when I tried it) I was won over by the difference in quality of the photos. I did some research via 'Which' and the Canon 1000D came out tops as a 'best buy' in terms of picture quality and ease of use. In fact most of the digital SLR's came out with top ratings for ease of use so don't be put off as I was by the fact that it looks a 'serious' camera. Picture quality is excellent, the kit lens supplied takes great shots and there is a full auto set-up which makes it as easy to use straight out of the box as your compact digital 'point and shoot' camera, but the possibilities are endless and I can guarantee you will end up taking some really professional shots. Another tip - buy the 'Dummies' guide specifically for this make/model by Julie Adair King - if shutter speed, exposure and ISO all sound FAR too technical this great book will help to make sense of it all in a very easy to follow, no-nonsense kind of way. Yes you can keep it on the 'auto' setting and take great pictures with it but as Julie says with this camera, that's like having a Porsche on a treadmill and never taking it out on a real road! Go for it, you'll be glad you did!
on 6 August 2010
Having wanted to get back into SLR picture taking I plumped for the Canon 1000D. I have owned an EOS650 since its arrival on the camera scene (1987) & built up a collection of Canon EF lenses, so it made sense to buy a compatible camera body & the 1000D fitted the bill perfectly.
The features are as good as a camera costing twice as much, it's solid feeling frame & battery life makes it a good investment.

Also there is no need to buy an extra battery pack, unless you are a serious photographer. I have had my 1000d for just over a month now, taken over 600 images (some with flash) and only charged the battery once. It re-charges in about 2 hours too!

Amazon's original delivery date was 2-3 weeks, but it actually arrived in 1 week, so top marks to Amazon too.
on 2 September 2010
I bought the Canon 1000D for my girlfriend for her birthday. I already have a 400D and the 1000D is very similar. I went for the body only as I already have a number of Canon EF and EF-S lenses which we can now share.

The main critisism I hear about the 1000D is the build quality. Compared to my 400D there is very little difference. Compared to a high end SLR such as a 5D mkII or a 1D mk4, it doesn't have the same build quality but these are vastly more expensive bodies! Compared to a compact though, this is a very sturdy camera!

The 1000D is amazing value at £290. Of course, this is without a lens, but buy a good mid-range lens such as the Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS and you have a very nice combination for under £700.
on 4 August 2009
This is a nice camera when it works. Two issues to be aware of. We bought it on the basis that we already had a film EOS with Canon-compatible lenses (Sigma) and we had been assured that the lenses should be fully interchangeable. Well, they are not. Sometimes they work but often you get an error code (I think this was 001) and the camera will not shoot. Consequently we went out and bought two replacement Canon lenses, which worked fine. Then a different error code started turning up (099) which is not the lenses but some other problem and we have had to send the camera off for repair. There is considerable correspondence on this on a forum-type website we came across and it seems to be a problem that Canon digital SLRs have had for some years and still it has not been fixed! Beware.
11 Comment| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 April 2012
I already owned a Canon EOS450D camera with 2 standard (18-55mm) lenses plus two other longer telephotos. Why buy another lower spec. camera? Easy, times without number I've found that I've the "wrong" lens fitted for that once in a lifetime shot and of course by the time I've swapped the moment has passed. Why the 1000D and not the current, and better speced, 1100D? Again simple the 1000 use the same battery as the 450, is in this case £120 cheaper than the 1100D. All my accessorys fit both cameras, and the specification is good enough for my requirements (in fact most non professionals will find the 1000D an adequate second body).
on 11 December 2010
Received product over 2 weeks ago. Since then I have used it on two contracts shooting group portraits at balls. Image quality is great, easily reproducible at A3.Focus is fast and sharp and colours are reproduced accurately, requiring minimum retouching in photoshop elements.

I have fitted it with a battery grip and a powerful nissen flash unit. Although not Canon, these units are well made, packed with features and the camera works really well with them, creating a usable kit for a fraction of the price.

Overall an excellent camera for the price, fitted with the latest canon features usually found on mid-high range DSLR's