on 9 September 2011
this is my second 400d (first one someone borrowed and broke it)
in case you are thinking its unreliable.
as far as slr's go this is excellent if you are just starting out in the slr world.
its easy to use, packed with features and now a days you can get it at a great price.

for those that arent to sure body only means just that, you dont get any lenses, they will need to bought separately

there are lots of lenses and tripods which work with this camera (practically any canon lens will go on this camera just make sure its eos compatible)
if in due course you upgrade to newer model eos camera then the lenses you bought for this camera will work on your new one!

all in all its a great camera, it does everything i need and ive take some great shots with it.
on 17 October 2017
Good value for the price I paid.
Works fine.
Just the camera body. I have a 50mm lens I fitted. Had good results.
Overall pleased with it.
on 16 June 2016
I used this camera for many years and got some of my best photos from it, but use a tripod especially in dark light as it does get grainy in low light. Though now much better cameras are available.
on 13 June 2013
Had this as replacementt for Canon 400D already owned so wanted to be able to use all existing bateries/cards.
It was in good condition for its age and has performed well on a recent holiday when I took many variable settings on it.
Saw no reason to upgrade when similar camera had done everything I asked of it.
on 1 September 2015
Very Pleased, Works flawlessly and looks brand new.
on 1 June 2013
It just what I wanted to replace my original body that was getting rather old, past its sell by date
on 17 May 2015
Good thankyou
on 14 September 2014
Great price, fast service, good project to work on
on 21 January 2008
Given a growing interest in photographing wildlife added to the desire to shoot in continuous frame mode more often than not (vs the cost of film) I realised it was time to "give digital a go".

I've been a long time fan of Canon film SLRs due to fast and reliable focusing, generally consistent metering, common sense ergonomics, and intuitive menuing. And so I expected these brand qualities to be found in the Canon EOS 400D. (Yes a 40D would have been nice, but it was the 400D that fitted my budget.)

I wasn't disappointed. All the usual controls were located in the usual places, e.g. exposure mode selection dial, command wheel, single frame vs continuous, focus mode etc. If you can find your way through the average mobile phone menu then you will be able to navigate your way through the various software menu tabs, even if some of the options are somewhat unfamiliar. Even though I had never before used a digital camera of any sort, let alone a DSLR, I managed to work out what most of the menu options did. That said, there is no substitute for a read through the manual and I only really found out how to get the best out of the 400D after a read though the manual.

My first time of using the 400D was at the London Wetlands Centre, attached to a Canon 70-200 F4 IS. I was genuinely amazed at the image quality that the 400D's APS-C sized CMOS sensor is capable of delivering. Viewing the images later on my laptop I could resolve feather filaments on birds, hairs on squirrels. I was gobsmacked. I found it incredible that this much detail could be captured on a CMOS sensor approximately 22x15mm in size.

So why buy the 400D body rather than one of the 400D kits? Simply because the standard zoom lenses supplied in the 400D kits do not do justice to the high quality of the image sensor in the 400D. Sharp lenses they are not - anything but.

My advice?..,
1) Buy the 400D body
2) Attach a really sharp lens of your choice (not a std kit lens)

I'm very pleased indeed that I bought a 400D. I'm especially pleased that I bought a 400D body and handpicked my own choice of razor sharp lenses lenses (Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Canon 70-200 F4L IS).

The 400D is a cracker. I can't recommend it highly enough. Just make sure you choose a lens that does it justice.

PS: Please vote for my review if you found it helpful. :-)
0Comment| 176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 October 2015
This camera provides the ideal platform for the begginer photographer to sart taking some great shots.
The lens selection is huge and not only Canon lenses fit this camera.
Tamron and Sigma to name a few.
The fact that your shots will benefit from a selection of lenses is part of the fun of using a Digital SLR like the 400D.
Yuo will be amazed at the quality of photos you can produce with the right lens and this 400D Canon.