Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Canal 250: The Story of Britain's Canals Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 192 pages||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled||Page Flip: Enabled|
Kindle e-ReadersKindle Fire TabletsFire Phones
- Due to its large file size, this book may take longer to download
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
What I liked greatly about this book is that the author doesn't concentrate soley on the great engineers of the time (though this is of great interest), but talks about the un-named people as well. The ones that actually put in the physical work of building the canals.
With regard to the engineers (like Brindley and Telford) you get an insight into the people behind the famous names. You get an understanding of the reasons why the individual waterways were built and of course you learn how it all started with the Duke of Bridgewater.
The canals (along with later the railways) were the foundation stones that the industrial revolution was built on. If it were not for the named and un-named people referenced in this book, I, along with others, would not be able to enjoy the delights of cruising through some of the most beautiful countryside in these fair isles.
This is an interesting and thought provoking read and a must for anyone that spends many an hour down on the "cut".
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland
- Books > Reference > Transport > Ships
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Civil Engineering > Environmental
- Books > Science & Nature > Environment & Ecology
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Europe
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > UK
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Professional & Technical > Technology & Engineering > Civil
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Professional & Technical > Technology & Engineering > Environmental
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Professional & Technical > Transportation > Ships