on 15 November 2011
I had been looking for a tablet - mainly to access books in various formats, but also for a bit of web browsing and video watching. An iPad would have been minimum £400 and also a bit bigger than I really wanted. So I had a browse around and settled on this model.

So what do you get for your money? A generic Android tablet (there is no actual branding on the device) which has had some branding ("Cambridge Sciences") added to the software and box. The device itself seems well made, and sits in the hand nicely, so is great as a book reader. The device is black from the front, but has a white, gently curved back.It weighs more than a paperback and about the same as a hardback. Physical connectivity is fairly good (audio, separate sockets for host and client USB connection, a mini HDMI connection and a micro USB slot. It has an on/off button, a rocker switch that operates the Android 'menu' and 'back' functions, a home key, a basic, front facing camera, and a rather tinny little speaker

And of course a screen. A good one. Resolution at 800x480 is good if not fantastic. Brightness and colour are excellent, and the capacitive touch screen function is very responsive and nice to use - unless you try to use it with the power supply connected, which for some reason causes it to behave erratically. This is OK watching films and reading books, but don't try to type an email when it is plugged in. Watching films and reading books is a pleasure. One small gripe - there seems to be slight mismatch between the physical and electronic form factor of the screen - making circles slightly elliptical. If showing photos of figure-conscious friends make sure you keep it in portrait orientation!

The Android 2.3 operating system runs well on the 1GHz processor, all the apps I have used run well, and there are a useful number of pre-installed apps. The movie player isn't great though (it does not remember where you got up to), so I bought one off Android Market for a small sum. That is the only app I have bought though, all my other app needs I have satisfied for free. As expected, there is a huge range of apps out there on the UK market. One slight irritation is the android implementation thinks it is running on a phone, so you often get re-directed to phone optimized websites, whereas in landscape mode 800 pixels is wide enough for most standard websites.

The device has WiFi of course, but no other form of wireless connectivity, though it will accept a bluetooth 'dongle'. There is no GPS or compass, so any AR functions are excluded. It does have a gravity/acceleration sensor, so tilt type games will work. I've not really tried that out however. I have the 8GB version, but 4 & 16 are available. The MicroSD slot will take up to a further 32GB

The 'host' USB slot has limited functionality - perhaps down to what Android allows. It will accept a mouse or keyboard, or even a bluetooth dongle. But it does not seem to connect to external data storage such as a card reader or memory stick, which would be useful.

It comes with cables for both mains and car charging, and a little cable which converts a mini usb socket into a standard one, and a normal mini usb to standard usb cable for hooking up to a computer. The instructions are minimal but just about adequate, though a moire extensive guide in electronic form on the device itself would be useful.

All in all I am very pleased with my new 'toy' having had it about a month. And Quality Stores, who sold it to me, have excellent after sales service. I was trying to source an two pin power supply (as I am currently in Italy) and they were very helpful.
on 1 May 2013
I bought this tablet mostly to read Kindle books and not to have to take my laptop with me when I travel abroad. It's a great little machine, especially for the price. I can't afford those expensive tablets, and all I want is to be able to read books, check my emails, chat, play some games like sudoku, checkers, etc.. and watch some videos. I'm new into tablets' world, and learning more and more. The only problem I had is when my Amazon Kindle didn't want to open when my tablet is offline.. But I contacted Amazon support team, and they explained to me how to 1-deregister my device, 2- uninstall the Amazon Kindle app, 3- find the app in Goolge Play store and install it, then log into my Amazon account; it was all sorted. And the new Amazon Kindle app was even much better than the one that came installed in the tablet. So, in case anyone has this problem with the Kindle, you know what to do to fix it. I intend to get a MicroSD to increase the storage capacity. There is a mistake in the product info, there is no camera, it's a webcam.. but that doesn't bother me, because I got a high resolution digital camera, and didn't buy this tablet to be taking pictures. lol! Pity bluetooth isn't available with this tablet. But I'm still impressed! Good value!
review image
on 18 March 2013
For the price and build quality, I'm going to agree with the majority of reviews about this tablet. I've used iPads, a Nexus 7 and a Kindle Fire, and really the only thing separating those from the StarPAD is the screen. It's very well made and feels solid, with a reassuring weight to it, and if you own an Android phone you'll know exactly how to use the UI.
The full-size USB slot was a nice touch, if you're a retro sort of person, you can recreate the days of Apple's Message Pad 2000 by simply adding a mini keyboard. It works a treat, although using the software keyboard's no ordeal as the screen's very responsive.
YouTube videos play smoothly, and the sound's not that bad for a small speaker. Haven't hooked it up to the TV yet, and may never as it seems to me a slightly odd thing to do.

If I were to nitpick, it would be just a couple of small things. The screen seems a little dim and benefits from being tilted down slightly when viewing, I also wish there was some way to up the contrast a smidge.

Overall, a great tablet. It's obvously not the best that money can buy, but it's definitely one of the best for the money.
on 16 April 2014
This is an excellent Tablet PC which loads of functionality including feature in didn't expect such as iphone.
The supplier was very efficient delivering well within the timescale quoted and at a seriously good price.
I would have no hesitation in recommending the supplier and the product. First class all round
on 18 April 2014
Brilliant little tablet for keeping kids entertained, it seems pretty fast, seems well built, really impressed with the screen. have put quite a lot of games and videos on it. Only downside for me is the memory is split in two 1 gig internal, then the other 11ish is secondary, which can be a pain if you want to install a lot of applications, the tablet does allow you to move a portion of the app onto the bigger memory. Nothing a bit of rooting and tinkering about wont fix though if you really wanted to :).
on 31 August 2012
Bought this tablet from amazon, the tablet was made by cambridge sciences.
This tablet is great, i have never had one before and found it really easy to use, the battery life is good, you can still use it while its charging, you can download lots of apps...

Since i have bought my tablet, I am now addicted to the android market, the tablet is fast, stores lots of apps and its great value for money.. Would recommend this tablet (actually my step father as just bought the same tablet and he is a newbie to the [...]

So great product, value for money and great first time tablet
on 11 November 2011
I have had this item 10 days and have been over all pleased with it. Its mostly all been ready been said already but the item is excellent value for money. Android is new to me so still finding out on the way .
As somebody else mentioned its annoyng to have to go back to settings to change the volume though
Otherwise Im very happy
on 19 December 2012
I ordered this on Monday afternoon and received it by Wednesday. Excellent fast service and I couldn't believe I got so much stuff with it as I thought I was only getting the tablet and a charger but no I got a case a tablet charger a car charger a pc to usb cable and earphones. The tablet is clear and if you are already an android user then you will instantly know how to use this tablet. For future buyers if you want a easy affordable tablet then seriously look no further. Thanks guys
on 13 April 2016
Poor battery,working a little slow.Quality meets price.
on 24 October 2012
I bought this for my daughter who was looking for a Kindle. I decided to go for the Cambridge Sciences G7 Wafer Tablet as it got such good reviews. I'm so glad I did as it lives up to all my expectations. It's easy to set up and easy to use. Delivery was excellent. It arrived very quickly and well packaged. Highly recommend it.