- Prime Student members get £10 off with a spend of £40 or more on Books. Enter code SAVE10 at checkout. Enter code SAVE10 at checkout. Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
Cambridge Preparation for the TOEFL® Test CD-ROM CD-ROM – 4 Mar 2002
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
There is a newer edition of this item:
Special offers and product promotions
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Both the disc and book are easy to understand and use, the testing is challenging, and all are reflective of real-world situations and usage. This Cambridge Preparation for the TOEFL Test combination product will be a welcome addition to any library serving ESL students." Library Journal
The CD-ROM contains seven complete TOEFL®-format practice tests. Users have the option of taking the tests in study mode, which generates feedback on their responses, or in test mode, which simulates the experience of taking the Computer-Based TOEFL® Test.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Although the book is five years old, and the TOEFL test itself has passed through a number of changes (most notably the current computer-based format), the book continues to be among the best available for students who need to actually learn, and not just familiarize themselves with the test format.
The Listening section trains the student in the skills required on the test, starting with the very basics: distinguishing similar sounds in single words, word meanings, expressions of time, quantity and comparison, idioms, phrasal verbs and so on. Then the book proceeds to short conversations, and ultimately to longer, more difficult conversations.
The Structure section is excellent and very comprehensive, with the answer section providing the correct choice along with very clear explanations.
The Reading Comprehension section begins with 30 pages of vocabulary building practice which is pretty heavy going, but could be useful for a student who is willing to work very hard to improve his/her vocabulary. The rest of the section is very good training in the skills and strategies necessary for analyzing the reading passages.
The book also contains three practice tests, one of which is diagnostic and refers the students to various sections of the book for each wrong answer.
In summary, this is a good, solid instructional tool which, as a teacher, I keep referring students back to, despite all the newer materials on the market. I am eagerly awaiting the new edition.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
2) Grammar section does not reflect real exam. Make no sense to practice problems you won't meet on the test. There is a lot of junk information which has never been used on the test. I took the test twice so did friends of mine. Remarkably enough, ETS and authors of the book have different perspective for English grammar. Problems heavily emphasized in the book will most likely completely ignored on an actual exam.
3) Reading section is very good.
4) Listening comprehension is good, particularly in terms of phrasal verbs and idioms.
5) There are 7 full lenght tests on the CD Rom.
For more practice with real full scale computer tests I can recommend you to buy Delta's Key for Toefl Tests (10 tests) or Cliff's (6 tests). In addition, Cliff's has very useful grammar section.