Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 September 2014
I'm happy I bought this book on amazon.com
This book is a perfect blend of mythology and magic. I never used to be a fan of this genre but the wonderful cover made me buy and the nice flow of the author's sound expression kept me reading and reading.

This fictional story paints a lady, Sula. She is the last of the mysterious beings called comyentis. The peaceful comyentis have a special ability to control and symphatize with animals. Sula is hated and hunted by humans.

Sula finds herself in a soul tie with Felix, a human. Felix gets to understand this one half-breed Comyenis called Sula; her love for animals, her plights and feelings. She also begins to understand humans (her adversary) better. They are of two different races.

Sula wisely wrestles the loads of challenging situations she encounters peaceably. The search of humanity is on.

As for me, I love how the writer expressed the message. As it is, I consider the story worthy of my 5 stars. I'm happy I bought this. It's cool enough to make one anticipate the next in the series.
on 4 February 2014
"Call Off The Search" is a clever introduction to the Comyenti saga that will leave you hungry for more. This is not only due to the unexpected twist of a cliffhanger ending but mainly because Natasja Hellenthal has created an assembly of characters one wants to know more about.
The fast paced story follows its strong female protagonist, Sula who may or may not be the last of her kind. The reader is taken onto her journey of pushing limits, teaching and learning, changing and growing as Sula steps out of the shadow of her destiny.
Hellenthal's book covers may real-life issues without being preachy, which may happen in stories where the lead character is given opinions and values differing from the norm.
I enjoyed reading "Call Off The Search" for the highs and lows of Sula's tale; all the good and love which is amplified by the intense darkness that rears its head at times; and I cannot wait to read "Children Of The Sun", the second book in this saga.
*Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book for review purposes.*
on 18 February 2014
"Call off the Search" was different to my usual reads but thoroughly enjoyable. This was a well written book which leaves you wanting the next book. The characters are portrayed well throughout and the way it was written allows for new character to grow within the saga. I enjoyed the insight into the comyenti and the main characters, including all the different subjects it touches on throughout Sula's life journey. The twist at the end has certainly allowed for a cliffhanger ending. Would recommend for a great easy read.
on 21 July 2014
"Call Off the Search", by Natasja Hellenthal, is breathtaking, sensual, and compelling. In this supernatural fantasy and paranormal romance you will find yourself holding your breath several times. At least, I admit that's what happened to me as I read this story. It literally took my breath away at times. There is the merging of magic and mythology in the narration of this exquisitely well told story. It develops along classical lines, the writer's craft is in place.

We have a unique setting, the Balla Mountains of the planet Bhan. From the outset, it seems the story structure is a familiar one, a man vs monster story. Our monster is the giant, Grobo, who has been preying upon the locals. I am reminded of one of the oldest monster stories I know, Beowulf. Yet do not be mistaken. This is far from being Beowulf. The giant has a more agreeable fate in store for him.

And then there are the comyentis: sensual, irresistible, clairvoyant halflings. A romantic triangle forms which will have the reader holding your breath as it develops. Can this mixture work out or would it have been best it never happened? Further, is a resolution needed, or is three truly a magic number? (I wonder aloud) In sum, "Call Off The Search" by Natasja Hellenthal is one that will make you think. If you like a read that takes you into a world of magic and mythology, a world of irresistible sensuality, a world that we ourselves might like to inhabit, then this book is for you. This one is highly recommended.

Reviewed by Thomas Jerome Baker
Author of How to Coach a Debate Team (Volume 1)
on 11 January 2015
This is a captivating story, with vivid imagery of a fantasy world. Sula believes she may be the last Comyenti but is travelling the world, hoping to find others. On her travels she meets Felix, who is human and as humans were responsible for the near extinction of her race, she is immediately wary of him. However, she helps Felix and his fellow villagers recover their food supply, which was stolen by a giant and over time she falls in love with Felix and they have a child. Life is good until the last full Comyenti (Shazar) appears, having learned of her existence from his own travels but I mustn’t give away any more of the plot!
Although the story is written as a fantasy, it is very relevant to the world in which we live today. It is a story about peaceful coexistence with other races than our own, it is about care for the animals who also inhabit our planet and many other topical issues are mentioned. It is also very much about the emotions of love, fear and loneliness among others.
I strongly recommend this read to anyone who likes an intelligent and beautifully written story, whether or not you would normally consider yourself a fan of fantasy!
on 19 February 2015
Call Off The Search (The Comyenti Series Book...
Natasja Hellenthal

A fantastic fantasy of mind control, shapeshifters and even a helping of philosophy.

Many interesting adventures along the way with love and attraction teasing the characters - I really loved the character Sula.
Looking forward to more in the series - great stuff!
on 23 June 2015
Call off the Search is a beautifully written fantasy. As much as I loved The Queen's Curse, I found this one more mature and elegant. Winter is described with such love and rich language, I could feel it with all my senses. I could smell the cold, hear Sula flying, see the magical frozen lakes through her eyes. I was actually freezing in the lonely cold of Northland's winter.

MindMerge, Mindskill, Mindmode. Ms. Hellenthal has created a glossary of terms and almost a new language. The real sense of danger is a vein running through this page turner.

What imagination and careful attention to detail it took to create the Comyenti, their world, and their code of humanity. Yes, humanity, despite their pointy ears and their habit of defying gravity.

I saw Sula and her kind as wild animals, afraid, distrustful of humans--and for good reasons--but also very human in their kindness and the way they care for other beings large and small. Having read two other of this author's books, I learned to completely trust her, in the sense of knowing that no animal will get hurt or be mistreated in her stories. What an experience!
on 25 March 2014
I'm a huge fan of fantasy fiction and found Call Off The Search a thoroughly enjoyable read. I remember reading books as a boy that inspired and captured my imagination, and this story is up there with them. Trolls, caves, a heroine in tune with nature around her blessed with higher abilities; romance and tragedy.
I took my time with this book, because I found myself enjoying it so much and not wanting it to end. I also found the author's descriptive narrative perfectly absorbing. The ending is is great and I won't make a spoiler by saying too much!
Look forward to reading the next installment!
on 5 March 2015
All in all a very good read, and pleasing to immerse oneself in a fantasy novel that takes time to make the reader think. Strong characterisation is evident throughout and it comes across as intelligent and well thought out.

The comyenti are a plausible and interesting race and I enjoyed reading a work by an author who cares enough about her craft to work on creating new slants on existing themes. Recommended.
on 28 January 2014
This story follows the strong female character of Sula, her future in a precarious position, and takes the reader through questions of trust, racism, the environment, and faith in our beliefs. I liked that the fantasy aspects were believable and the relationships were warm and endearing. The characters were well developed and held my interest, and Sula's journey (both physical and emotional) captured me and made me want to find out more about her.

I am looking forward to the next installment!

Note - I received a free copy for review purposes, though I'd happily have bought it!