- Save 10% on selected children’s books, compliments of Amazon Family Promotion exclusive for Prime members .
- Also check our best rated Football Book reviews
Calcio: A History of Italian Football Paperback – 20 Aug 2007
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
‘“Calcio: A History of Italian Football” reveals more about the national character than any dry study of politics or economics ever could. This is a hefty work but there is so much going on that the pace never slackens. Foot is a meticulous and knowledgeable guide to his complex subject and leaves the reader wanting to investigate further.’ Andrew Baker, Daily Telegraph
‘John Foot is head over heels in love with calcio, and his detailed, thematically structured account of its past and present is overwhelming evidence of that.’ Independent, Sport Section Book of the Week
'An excellent chapter on British failures in Serie A but it's the many scandals that one keeps coming back to.' Observer Sport Monthly
'Foot's exemplary history shows how football and Italian society are inextricably intertwined, and is full of fascinating vignettes.' Sunday Times
'Highly readable… “Calcio” has set an impressive benchmark for football histories in general.' Sean O'Connor, Soccerpile.com
'Like a match-winning penalty taken in extra time, this is a book not to be missed.' Oldie
About the Author
John Foot is the author of four books: ‘Modern Italy’, ‘Winning at All Costs’, ‘Milan Since the Miracle’ and ‘Calcio’.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
The more recent times, with Maradona, Van Basten, Gullit, Baggio, Paolo Rossi, Baresi, Maldini and hundreds of world class players appearing in Serie A are well worth pondering over; back in the 1980-1990 all the best players in the world competed in what was then the best league in the world. A far cry from today's half-full arenas.
I can't recommend this book highly enough.
Key players are also covered in Calcio with splashes of humour as well as an assessment of their place and impact in Italian football. The real value of Calcio is that it gives you an accessible introduction of the history of Italian football and that it encourages you to read more on particular aspects of this subject.
A great read!!
A good edit could have removed a third of the book and made it a much better read. Its still a good book and worth having but could have been so much better.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Cultural Studies
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Social Issues
- Books > Sports, Hobbies & Games > Football > Clubs
- Books > Sports, Hobbies & Games > Football > European
- Books > Sports, Hobbies & Games > Football > Leagues > European Leagues