on 21 May 2012
I am really excited about this book. As things stand, I have only tried one recipe (the carrot cupcakes) and they are by far the most successful cakes I have baked in my 12 years of gluten-free baking.

The book itself is lovely to look at, which special diet cookbooks often aren't (which goes some way to taking away the 'different-and-lesser' association that can often be made with dairy- and gluten-free food. More importantly, the ingredients are things anybody with an intolerance would have in their cupboard, which makes things much easier than the standard intolerance cookbook. The fact that the author is working with ingredients that can be found in a British supermarket (so they're easily accessible) makes it extra-useful. Most of my collection of gluten-free cookbooks are by US authors that source hard-to-find healthfoods, which can be off-putting.

I can't wait to try some more of the recipes and would recommend this above any of my other gluten- and dairy-free cookbooks just on the basis of my excitement and the carrot cakes!
on 21 August 2016
This book is brilliant.I have made quite a few of them and they all turned out fab. The coffee and walnut with extra coffee in is scrummy,the moist orange and almond cake is fab and the traditional cherry and almond is also moist,I put some chopped walnuts in for extra flavour the next I made it.All my friends and family love them as well but they are not coeliac like me.
on 12 September 2017
Currently working my way through this book. It's making me happy.
Since going 'wheat free' I have been VERY disappointed with shop bought treats (cardboard) but would much rather bake my own anyway. I tried to use my usual cake recipes, just substituting for GF flour and the results were not good! (even my husband who will eat anything left them!) I am so glad I bought this book! I've not long gone wheat free, so I can remember what cake tastes like - and these are wonderful cakes, which just happen to be GW&D free.
Everything I have baked so far has turned out perfectly, the recipes are easy to follow and the photography is lovely There is lots of useful other information too.
Make the coffee and walnut- it's amazing!
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 November 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
Married to an IBS sufferer who is a keen baker, there has always for her been the dilemma of either making delicious cakes and usually suffering the consequences or going gluten free and sacrificing taste and/or texture.

This book is therefore a revelation. Have tried several recipes and all have been outstanding successes. And none, yes none, have betrayed the lack of gluten or indeed dairy content. Even better, the recipes are well laid out, extremely easy to follow and use readily available ingredients. Nothing that in our experience our local Tesco Extra couldn't provide.

No weird measures, no US references , just simply a well presented cookery book that allows Gluten and Dairy intolerance sufferers to easily make delicious cakes that non- sufferers will equally enjoy. My personal favourite to date, the banana pecan cake was simply outstanding. Bang goes my waistline .....

The first baking cookbook that my wife has felt really addressed her needs in a realistic and practical way and still delivered superb results, this really deserves a 5/5.

More please!
on 18 July 2017
I bought this book to bake cakes for my friend who is fighting cancer and is trying a dairy free diet. My first recipe was the banana loaf that proved a great success.
on 29 August 2013
Great!

No faffing around with various kinds of dust and wierd & wonderful ingredients - if there are some things you haven't heard of, Julia Thomas gives a comprehensive list and where to get them - and most of the time they are easy to find in the supermarket items, not trailing off to healthfood/specialist shops for wierdy beardy ingredients.

No fuss recipes - everything looks lovely, lots of healthy tips and helpful explanations on the differences between ingredients. Some recipes are "free-everything" others are dairy OR Gluten/Wheat free, but it always makes this clear.

Excellent book.
on 30 July 2017
Great book but finding it very hard to get ingredients especially for the dairy free side so am having to make Gluten and Wheat but not dairy free at present. Some of the adapted recipes produce baked goods that are to die for.
Only one recipe so far has had dubious results all the rest have been great
on 7 January 2013
The cakes in this book are fabulous. My daughters and I can not eat Gluten or wheat, there are several books to chose from for these issues but when it turned out that my eldest daughter could also not tolerate dairy I was stumped! This book saved the day!! They love the all different cupcakes with the chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting being a firm favourite. (I also substitute rice milk as my daughters can not tolerate soya either and it works well with rice milk too). I've used the Victoria Sponge recipe to make different shaped party cakes and these turn out really well. I can not recommend this book enough! My work colleagues love the cakes I make from this book and I'm regularly recommending it to other people.
on 24 June 2014
Having been gluten free for 16 years I have struggled to find a cook book that really delivers on taste and is easy to follow. Having made 8 cakes so far I am absolutely delighted! I have to admit I'm not a great cook but have found this book easy to follow and the results are great, the cakes have not lasted a day with my family which is a great compliment.

I use normal dairy products as don't have allergy to them and as previous reviewers have mentioned most recipes do require xanthum gum but I have no issue using this, especially given the end result!

Can't recommend this book highly enough, if you're gluten free and like cakes buy this book!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 July 2016
So far made coffee and walnut cake and a chocolate cake. The recipes for the sponge work beautifully but the icings haven't turned out very well atall so much so I've had to attempt them twice as first runs have been a disaster. Iwould consider myself a fairly well experienced cook so am finding them a slight challenge!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse