Caesar's Legions: The Roman Soldier, 753 BC to 117 AD Paperback – 1 Jan 2000
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Top Customer Reviews
So, you perhaps would expect the volume would be mismatched and awkward. Fortunately the work fits together quite well; the topics do not overlap and cross referencing is not a significant issue (the altar of Domitius Ahenobarbus aside). Nick Sekunda co-authored book 1 and wrote book 2, and I have a great deal of respect for his work; very readable with a decent level of analysis and interpretation (see my review for Osprey Warrior Series Greek Hoplite). The colour plates complement the text well, with the usual good photographs. Book 1 does struggle a little because the actual evidence for the period is limited, and a fair amount of conjecture is used. Personally book 2 is the best here, as the Republican Army is well documented and there is a lot of evidence to go on; and the plates are by Angus McBride.
Moving to book 3, here I struggle to avoid being negative; my expectations from Osprey are very high. Written in 1982, Michael Simkins' writing style seems aimed more at older children than at any serious amateurs, never mind serious academics. I realise knowledge of the Imperial Roman army has moved on greatly in recent years - the work on the Varian disaster at Kalkriese since 1987 has helped significantly here. However, I don't feel that the work is any more than a brief summary of the period and compares badly to books 1 and 2.Read more ›
This is actually a compilation of 3 Osprey books, so in terms of value for money, you cannot do better than this.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Ancient History & Civilisation > Rome
- Books > History > Military History > Armed Forces > Land Forces
- Books > History > Military History > Military Life & Institutions
- Books > History > Military History > Strategy, Tactics & Military Science
- Books > History > World History > Pre-500
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Battles & Campaigns
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Origins
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Warfare & Defence