Customer reviews

on 22 March 2008
CSI :Dark Motives for the Nintendo DS is a truly wonderful port of the 2004 PC game of the same title. 5 challenging crimes to solve and all wonderfully transfered to the DS with good use of the dual screens - The lower screen being for navigation, tool select and world interaction while the top screen gives constant access to the case files and turns into a detailed tool description when you're choosing equipment which is a priceless feature when starting the game. The touch screen is put to good use as you explore the environments and discover clues, making it a far more hands on experience than the PC "point and click" original controls.
The game features some great full motion video cutscenes, very interactive environments and a great soundtrack - but there is one thing that bugs me that is missing from this port... namely the vocal talents of the actors who give a running commentary during the FMV cutscenes and during interrogations. The DS uses a subtitle system of dialogue instead of the vocal tracks and This means that you have to either watch the FMV and miss the comment of the CSI crew or read their thoughts on the incident and miss some good FMVs.
That one complaint aside this is a wonderful game and has kept me busy for hours, and will no doubt be played again and again.
on 13 January 2008
if you are anything like me and loved hotel dusk then this game is for you! it has great plots and twists to keep you entertained for hours, checking crime scenes, using the lab and analysing evidence, and interregating suspects it has it all. if you are a fan of the programme then this is the game for you!
on 16 May 2008
The first review is spot on- with the addition of one small factor.
This game is very pedantic- what isn't there when you look the first time will be there after you do something mundane and unconnected- for example, you can't get a piece of evidence in the first scenario- even if you look right at it- until you speak to someone else first, even though the conversation is nothing about the evidence.
When you get frustrated (and you will) and ask the CSI helper for,well,help (and you will), you get useless comments that may or may not apply- for example, Catherine will say "Look near the door ..." when you already have the evidence to which it applies. I found myself saying, out loud, " For Crimbos sake, can I ask Gill, Catherine, because you are not being very helpful!!!"
And I feel guilty asking Brass for addresses. Doesnt he have antyhing better to do? WHy not just have it in the lab?
Would have liked a more helpful AI, that could recognise what you had and hadn't done, and liked it if it allowed you to do more out of sequence- ok, maybe I don't know why there is a print there, but there is, why hide it until I watch a movie?
I never look for a walkthrough- but to save my sanity I had to- and you know what? I had done everything, but not in the precise order the game "wanted", and I had not watched one of the movies. That is why I couldn't get a warrant... very, very frustrating. If you can cope with an nflexible, obsessive compulsive AI then you can play and enjoy this game. But for me, I enjoyed it because I like CSI, but I think it could have been more intuitive and it needs a "nothing worked, HELP!" maneuver. I suspect there are people everywhere who have bought this and played the first scenario, got nowhere with great frustration, and will soon list the game in an online auction (those that survive the high speed impact against the wall). I enjoy games that allow you to play them... this one plays you to a certain degree. Good fun, but frustrating.
One final point- in the analysis of the clear yellow liquid, in the first scenario, Greg says it contains ketones. Healthy clear yellow liquid of that type should not contain ketones (its urine, folks). I think its too bad they tried so hard to look accurate that they have made such very basic mistakes in medical/ health components of the script. Most people won't notice, but if you are a healthcare professional, you will find it annoying.
11 Comment| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 February 2008
I really enjoyed this game, I have played a couple of CSI games on the pc before and I thought this was as good, obviously due to the DS's limitations you get written instead of voice dialouge but the game play is the same. If you like watching CSI then you will enjoy looking for clues yourself and using the tools to detect and collect evidence and using a computer or microscope to analyse it. My only criticism is that the reconstructions (cutscenes) are too fast, the graphics are on the top screen and the dialogue on the bottom so unless you can read very quickly and have superhuman peripheral vision you will have to repeat them to get all of the information, which isn't too bad until the final reconstruction which cannot be repeated so you solve the case but you don't really know what has happened. Otherwise it is a really enjoyable game and I can't wait for more.
on 20 March 2008
I bought this game yesterday and started playing it today. It's a good game but can be complicated at times. Searching through the evidence can be time consuming, and then you have to look through the same places again because new things will pop up there through the game. I do like the game, it is highly captivating and will keep you interested for hours, but be prepared to spend a lot of time going over the same stuff.
on 25 May 2008
I recently bought this game for the DS as I fancied trying something a bit different and had previously played and enjoyed similar games such as Hotel Dusk. I found the game to be highly addictive and found myself spending 4 hours at a time on the DS lol. I did have a few issues on occasions with using the tools in certain areas but overall I found it a good game. You do have to think a lot and constantly look around for evidence etc which just adds to the game play fun. I did have to look at walkthroughs on line a few times as sometimes I could not see which route to take next. I also feel the game could have been made longer or include more cases as I was disappointed when I get to the end. Overall though a very good game and I would definately buy another CSI game if another one was released for the DS.
VINE VOICEon 29 November 2007
'CSI: Dark Motives' was originally released on the PC back in 2004 and has now been recreated for the Nintendo DS, making full use of the DS's unique dual-screen and touch screen facilities.

You take the role of a new rookie CSI and work alongside Catherine Willows, Nick Stokes, Warwick Brown, Sarah Sidle, Greg Sanders, Al Robbins, Jim Brass and your mentor, Gil Grissom to investigate and solve 5 brand-new cases, based on the brilliant TV show.

Case 1: A stuntman is injured in a freak accident during the taping of a reality TV show revealing an act of sabotage, all for the sake of ratings.
Case 2: A homeless man is found dead, which soon reveals a plot involving a large family fortune.
Case 3: An accidental shooting has occurred at a casino musical, exposing an illicit affair and a jealous husband.
Case 4: An archaeologist, psychic and failed artist are the suspects in a murder case involving some hefty real-estate.
Case 5: A travelling circus turns up a missing Komodo dragon and a disturbed mortician vindicating his girlfriend's death.

The thing that I like the most about this version is the excellent use of the touch screen, All of the CSI's detection and collection tools are here and using them with the stylus makes it a lot more interactive than when using the mouse and gives it a little more realism. Just tapping the screen to also browse through all of text is also a delight. The dual screen usage is done well also, as the suspects, victims and reconstructions options are displayed on the top screen, whilst the current location view as well as the dialogue and tools, evidence and locations options are displayed on the bottom one.

The crime lab is probably the most interesting bit of the game where you must compare pieces of evidence that you've gathered either against other evidence you've collected or against fingerprints, DNA or tyreprints etc that they have on their databases. You also get the video reconstructions (which are impressive for a DS game) that differ as you progress with your investigation, giving you a better idea of what happened at the crime scene.

There's a couple of bad points on the DS such as there are no voice-overs like in the PC version, so there's lots and lots of text continuously. The graphics are also not great, and with a majority of the game being static images, you do find you'll get bored if you're in the same location for a long period of time.

Overall, this is a really good game that has been made even better by using the DS's innovative features. Each case takes a couple of hours to get through so there's plenty of gameplay for your money, although I can't see that you'd play it through again once you've finished it. When you finish each case there is a real feeling of acheivement, so this game is very rewarding in that sense, as well as being great fun whilst you're playing it. If you like CSI and have played and enjoyed the other CSI games on other formats, or games like Phoenix Wright or Hotel Dusk than this is a game that I would definitely recommend to you. I just hope that the creators decide to re-make all of the other PC CSI games like CSI: Miami, 3 Dimensions of Murder, Hard Evidence and the original CSI game, as Dark Motives works perfectly on the DS.
review image review image
44 Comments| 119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 January 2008
I'm really enjoying this game. People are right to say that it is like Phoenix Wright but without the humour. When you play this game you do feel like you're investigating a crime like the CSI guys do. It's really more of an interactive story than a game, but there's nothing wrong with that.
on 10 December 2009
I don't know if error is the right term to use but certainly some kind of bug seemed to have interferred with me being able to progress. I got as far as half way through the first game and could not progress. I checked out user tips online to see if I was doing something wrong but as far as I could see I wasn't, and I wasn't the only person questioning it. I noticed when trying to collect evidence that some items could not be checked or collected and the game would just freeze. This is dissapointing as it has the potential to be quite an interesting game and if you are lucky enough not to have any problems, this would be really interesting to play. I would not recomend this game. I have seen other people's reviews on this site and it seems that other people have stumbled across the same issues that I had. I think it's important to warn people of this as once the game is purchased it can't be refunded as it is classified as second hand. I did not buy this game from amazon so can't comment on their policy but I do know from high street shops that once the seal is broken on the box, the best you can do is sell it back to the shop but get half the money back if you're lucky. Be warned.
on 27 December 2009
I bought this game with great expectations, as I love the tv series. Unfortunately, I didn't get past the first "case" because the controls were awkward to use and I hit a dead end. At first I thought it was just me, but I lent the game to 3 friends who also became stuck on the same point. What use is a game if you casn't get past the first (apparently easy) level?