Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 February 2014
This is a brilliant CD of music by C P E Bach which celebrates the tercentenary of his birth. His music is highly original and bridges the Baroque and the Classical eras, as can be heard in the wonderful Magnificat which is the main work on this disc. It is beautifully performed here by the RIAS Chamber choir and the Academy for Ancient Music, Berlin. The soloists, including our own Elizabeth Watts, are uniformly good, though the tenor's rather tight vibrato will not be to everyone's taste. The CD also includes an exciting piece for double chorus 'Heilig', also superbly performed. Last but certainly not least, there is an invigorating, biting performance of the Symphony in D. The orchestra are superb here, playing with fire and commitment; every line crystal clear, thanks to the outstanding recording quality. My only gripe is that 56 minutes is rather short measure for a CD these days, and another symphony could easily have been included. You cannot have too much of a good thing!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 March 2014
*Update 06Oct2014: Speaking as an unrepentant sinner I am glad that I wrote the original review before this CD won a 2014 'Gramophone' award! Actually, I agree with another reviewer who said that the vibrato in the singers was a bit too strong; I also thought that the performance was too fast when I first heard it. However, I became adjusted to it; and CPE Bach is good enough to take a variety of treatments, believe me. I still remember the first time I heard CPE Bach symphonies Wg183: it was on a DG Archiv LP - the first LP I ever bought without scratches and pops on the sound track, a standard Archiv maintained until CDs came along. If you are still exploring CPEB, this recording and his symphonies Wq183 are good starting points. Trawl Amazon and the internet and you will find some thoughtful comments and some free sample listening to help you make up your mind.

*Original review: I have Rilling's performance from the 80s. Compared with that, this is like an old painting with the varnish stripped off: crisper and clearer, with good soloists and ensemble and an approach to the accelerator that's daring but delivered with flair and commitment. It's hard to describe CPE Bach, but in a snapshot you can sense where he uses his father's style as a springboard for bolder tonality and a vigorous approach. His symphonies are also worth buying.
on 21 February 2014
CPE Bach was clearly moving to a more operatic and classical style than his great father. These performances a springy and vibrant and the orchestral sound is great. However, the quality of the vocal soloists strikes me as wrong for this period. The vibrato is too wide and the performances in the solos are horribly operatic in what is, after all, essentially church music. Admittedly, the performance portrayed here was originally a concert performance. This is tremendous music but it has a sense of not being 'right' - at least to my taste.
on 7 December 2014
Music to stir the soul! A beautiful interpretation of the work, gloriously sung by Elizabeth Watts. It is hard to imagine anyone bettering this recording of such a marvellous piece.
on 17 April 2015
I read the reviews of what to me was new music. I was not disappointed. JSB's son certainly produced great music, and different to his father.
on 14 November 2014
It is a Xmax present for my Dear Husband, and I Love it (I have heard several times)
on 12 November 2014
Beautiful piece of music. A very pleasant surprise as I took a chance buying this.
on 25 November 2014
Just bought this for myself, fell in teenage love and bought it for my friend, too. Crisp, vibrant, baroque on a mature bottle of Bordeaux. Wonderful - and rightly operatic. Watts has that touch of Merlot necessary to give it redolence and enduring depth. I'm a Garanca FAN and I was enchanted with Watts in this album, surely that says enough?
on 18 November 2015
Excellent music! Inventive, dynamic and tuneful this work is never heavy or laboured. A fortunate discovery thanks to the reviews on Amazon.
on 12 March 2016
Well sung and well played. An enjoyable disc. It is obvious that this band of musicians have an empathy with the music.