- Hardcover: 144 pages
- Publisher: Newnes; 01 edition (30 Sept. 1998)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0130101362
- ISBN-13: 978-0130101365
- ASIN: 0750698195
- Product Dimensions: 15.2 x 1.1 x 22.9 cm
Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
1,981,504 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #1071 in Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Engineering Skills & Design > Industrial Design
- #1188 in Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Electronics & Communications Engineering > Electronics Engineering > Circuits
- #1315 in Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Design Studies > Industrial Design
- See Complete Table of Contents
CE Marking Handbook (Test & Measurement) Hardcover – 30 Sep 1998
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
This book achieves its objective competently. For the novice, a study of this book will equip the reader with the fundamental principles that will allow he or she to prepare a product for submission to a European safety agency. For the experienced product designer, this book will likely fill in a few gaps in knowledge that generally aren't learned by studying the European safety standards.
Regarding the previous review which states that this book is "low on content, void of assistance"... If one reads that review carefully, it is obvious why that conclusion was reached: "After several hours of reading, I had gleaned virtually no useful information..." The reviewer didn't read far enough into the book!
The first five chapters of the book are focused building a foundation for the basis of the European safety requirements, explaining the laws governing their enforcement, and guiding the reader through the process of determining which European standards are applicable. This is rather dry information, but it provides an essential foundation of understanding.
The previous reviewer needed more patience, or should have consulted the table of contents to find that chapter 6 was entitled "Design for Safety Conformity". It is a 50 page chapter (one third of the entire book) that provides specific, detailed requirements for European compliance. Chapter 6 is effectively the "handbook" portion of the text and is well organized from my perspective.
The book covers the differences between the philosophies of European and US approaches to safety. This understanding is helpful when selecting components for products that will have to comply with both US and European standards.
This book doesn't cover EMC issues in any depth, but that shouldn't be a surprise as the book doesn't claim that it does. The book subtitle is "A Practical Approach to Global SAFETY Certification". (Emphasis mine). Hence, for compliance in the EMC arena, the reader will have to go elsewhere. EMC compliance, however, is essential for meeting the requirements for CE-marking, so I reduced my rating of this book for not doing a better job of pointing the reader towards resources to help in this regard.
There are numerous European safety standards, and each usually has hundreds of pages. To provide detailed guidance in a single book in this context is a daunting task. The writer of this book competently and concisely addresses this reality by nailing the essential core principles behind safety compliance. He provides enough detail such that a capable novice could make wise decisions in choosing components and construction techniques that will comply with the vast majority of the applicable standards. However, one must ultimately study the safety standards to discover those few remaining unique requirements.
I recommend this book to those seeking to better understand the safety requirements for European conformity. His focus on the essential principles of safety is precisely why this book remains relevant more than a decade after it was written.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Design Studies > Industrial Design
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Biographies & Histories
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Law > International
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Sales & Marketing > Advertising
- Books > Computing & Internet
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Electrical > Electrical Engineering
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Electronics & Communications Engineering > Electronics Engineering > Circuits
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Engineering Skills & Design > Industrial Design
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Engineering > Electronics & Telecommunications Engineering