Customer reviews

on 6 November 2009
Well, Russell Ash has done it again. Building on the success of the similarly brilliant 'Potty, Fartwell and Knob', Mr. Ash is welcomed back with another hilarious selection of outrageous names of people, places and products, but this time from around the world. I received this book on Thursday night and could not put it down until I had finished it - which was a good job, because if I had read it on my commute the following morning, I would probably have been thrown off the train for howling like a hysterical hyena. Absolutely hilareous! Yes, it's infantile, yes, it's not nice to laugh at poor unfortunates with names that we are all relieved we do not possess, but that does not stop it from being the funniest book I have read all year.

Warning - not for the faint hearted, the puritan minded or members of Clean Up National Television (that will be revealed in the latter pages!). If that doesn't apply, do yourself a favour - buy this, and a copy for all simlarly-minded friends - you'll laugh so much, you won't regret it!
on 15 December 2009
I bought this book as I thought it was a biography of my favourite vaudeville act, but it turns out to be a categorised list of names which sound a bit rude. It did make me laugh though, which presumably was its intention. I look forward to surprising the vicar when we get out first child baptised with the hints and tips of this generously large book.
on 18 October 2009
I loved Russell Ash's previous book of names, Potty, Fartwell.... but never imagined there could be a follow-up. But this is even better - covering a much broader field, wickedly, deliciously funny and informative at the same time. It's going straight to the top of my Xmas shopping list for every relative and friend with a sense of humour, of any age. And perfect for upsetting a prude!!!!!
on 3 November 2009
I mean, what kind of person would consider spending their working hours searching the world for names which must have caused a lifetime of embarrassment for their owners? Who are we to laugh if someone happens to be christened Fanny Pong, Dick Sprinkles or Minge Bacon? Why shouldn't Rachel Good and George Head, or Benjamin Fillerup and Karen Standing, be allowed to spend their married lives in peace without enduring our infantile sniggering? And if the Swedes are happy to drink Pussi Milk, as they sit at their Fartwell desks in the village of Slut, then frankly that's their business. The fact that this book is extremely funny is no excuse.
on 3 January 2010
I bought this book for my husband mainly because we have an unusual sirname that people find amusing. It's the only book I've ever seen him and our neighbour read and cry with laughter. Really good book and a brilliant present.
on 11 March 2010
This is as funny as his previous book and I had to share it with select work colleagues when it arrived; which was at work and I had to put it away as my loud laugh was disturbing those around me (the downside of an open plan office!) I love books like this - keep them coming! It must be fun working with the author when he is doing his research.
on 23 October 2009
Russell Ash is well known for his books The Top 10 Of Everything and Whitaker's World of Facts - which should be in everyone's library - but he also has a neat sideline in humour books.

This is the second compilation of rude names. Unlike many of these books, Mr Ash does not make up his lists as is evidenced because he lists many of his sources - censuses, parish records and the like.

The entries are far too rude to be mentioned - just don't buy this book for an easily offended friend or relative. For the rest of us - those who like a belly laugh or a dirty minded chuckle - this book is ideal.
on 17 February 2010
I purchased this book for my husband and he thinks its hilarious. He ends up having to put the book down because he is crying with laughter. Its hard to believe that these are real names as there are some weird and wonderfuly rude ones.
on 10 February 2010
This is an even smuttier follow up to Russell Ash's Potty, Fartwell and Knob collection. What I like is the scholarly way he's gone about the (no doubt very enjoyable) task of researching these rudely-monickered unfortunates, with the provenance for the likes of Randy Bumpass solemnly recorded after the entry. The edition is further enlivened by exerpts from Mr Ash's collection of Edwardian - er - erotic photographs. Highly recommended for all but the most staid of elderly maiden aunts.
on 18 November 2009
I bought 3 of these books as presents for the filthier minded of my friends and they have all laughed their socks off. i wouldnt leave it lying around when the in laws come to visit though. the content is extremely rude and very funny. i took one to work and we all sniggered like kids in the playground. if you want a hefty dose of smut and a break in the politically correct climate we are in, i would highly recommend it. but not to you mum.