Customer reviews

Busch & Müller Cycle Star Long Mirror -  ,

on 29 June 2013
Having seen a review that said this was small, I checked the product dimensions and they were: 6.5 x 10.5 x 22.5cm. So I figured it wasn't all that small. However, those are the dimensions of the packaging, not the mirror itself. The mirror stalk is only 13cm (the mirror face is about 5.5cm). It only extends to the end of the handlebar. But the convex nature of the mirror means you can see a lot and I feel safer being able to see the crazy guy in the car behind me. (You could fix it in the end of the handlebar although this isn't an option for me as the grip is a movable throttle.) I also found the plastic screw to attach it to the handlebar could be easily shredded with a metal screwdriver if you are ham-fisted like me. I will add a photo to give you a better idea of the size of this thing. Overall though, I am a happy chappy.
review image
22 Comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 March 2017
A bit fiddly to adjust (but then most mirrors are) but a clear view and works with panniers and drop bars. The handlebar mounting bracket is of rather soft plastic and the screw slot burred easily. Works loose quite quickly if you have to keep folding it out of the way, but tightens up fine.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 April 2017
A little flimsy and plasticy but does the job.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 January 2013
I would give this item 6 stars if I could. It's designed to fit either on the handlebar ends or anywhere along the handlebars, and at any angle. It copes easily with my recumbent bike's bars that are perpendicular to the ground.

The mirror is stable and gives excellent rear vision. I took the allen key (which was supplied) on my first ride with the mirror just in case, and indeed I had to use it.

I feel a lot safer knowing what is going on behind me. The mirror's so good that I found myself paying more attention to what was happening behind me than in front of me. Hopefully, the novelty will wear off soon!
on 3 April 2014
The mirror itself is quite small but convex enough to show the whole road behind you though small (5.5 cm). Good eyesight an advantage...

But the real flaw in the design is that there is only one bolt to clamp two ball joints into the mounting bush. The ball that secures the bush to the handlebar fixing is just slightly larger than the ball at the base of the stalk. This means that when the bolt is tightened as far as you are able, the stalk still has too much movement and will not stay where you put it. It's OK - just right even - when the mirror is brand new but over a week of riding (and consequent readjustments), the paint gets stripped from the ball which makes it just that little bit smaller. Now there is no way to tighten it up enough to stop it falling down as soon you get on the road.

If I could fit a Mirrycle onto my handlebars I would as it is just the right size and curvature, best I have ever seen. But my handlebars are swept back (old sit up style) and the end mounting would not work (I've tried). The one that does work is the one on Amazon called "Bike Screw-on Side Back Mirror handlebar Mount (Convex)". It's not ideal as there is a little vibration in the otherwise stiff stalk and the mirror is a bit too convex - distorts and shrinks so that far away cars are difficult to see, but at least it's a useable mirror.
on 14 October 2013
The plastic clamp mount for this is really poor. The worm screw is made of soft plastic and the whole mount seems like an afterthought when compared to the otherwise quality metal construction of the rest of the mirror and the bar-end mount. There is a similar setup on my cycle lights which is robust, easy and doesn't require tools, so it can be done.

The finish around the edge of the mirror (the reflective backing?) is bad and makes the glass look cheap, which probably means the glass is cheap.

It's ok - probably nothing more than the best of a bad bunch of cycle mirrors.
on 14 October 2012
Best bike mirror i've come across. It has a ball and socket joint at each end of the stork and on the bar mount thus enabling infinite adjustability and perfect positioning. Easy to install on ANY handlebar using either the nylon jubilee style clip or the expanding wedge bar-end fitment.(They even supply the allen key). All the crucial parts are made of good quality metal whilst overall the product is light, stylish and minimal in design - not cumbersome. The mirror glass is convex too, thus giving an extra much welcome field of view. I bought two of the long stork type for my recumbent bike which may be why the image does vibrate a bit but its still perfectly useable. I would recommend this version over the short stem ones as it can be kept in-board from the ends of the bars and thus less vulnerable to bashes etc. Plus the long stork allows more range of adjustment. They were each well packed in separate boxes, individually dispatched and arrived together. I highly recommend this product and would expect its other variations to be of the same high standard - well designed and made.
on 25 April 2013
Perfect, just what I was looking for. Easily fitted to my wifes heritage bicycle, it's quite dinky in size but serves its purpose well... now if only I could explain to her the principle of mirror, signal, maneuver?! Great product, would recommend!
on 17 May 2013
Lovely mirror which provide clear rear views. The mirror doesn't vibrate and doesn't require constant adjustment. A great purchase. Thank-you.
on 12 May 2014
Fits my disability scooter nicely and easy to manoeuvre. Nice size and not cumbersome. I like this very much especially the longer length.

See one answered question