Format: Hardcover|Change

on 21 February 2014
I bought this book because I've been to some of the author's baking 'events' - I call them that because they are so much more than just classes. It's a beautiful book that will become a firm favourite. The recipe instructions are easy to follow with glorious glossy photos to inspire you. It is a must have for anyone interested in making show stoppers and a would make a wonderful gift for your favourite baking enthusiast.
on 20 February 2014
Baking comes away from the 'twee' and into the spotlight.

The cakes really do taste fabulous - I made the chocolate mud cake for a friend's party and not only did most of it disappear on the night, what little that was left still tasted great four days later, I was told. The projects range from the simple but stunning to the more challenging.

Cake should be the centrepiece of any celebration and Charlotte White's creations will certainly take centre stage.
on 20 February 2014
Purchased this book for my wife. Brilliant photos & baking ideas.

The international magazine for EVERYTHING Burlesque writes:
You may already have heard of Charlotte White, the gorgeous lady behind Restoration Cake who just launched Burlesque Baking.

If you haven’t, well let me introduce her to you. She is a lady with style and she bakes some yummy stuff . “Bespoke Wedding Cakes, Celebration Cakes and Cupcakes that taste as good as they look”, as she says.

Charlotte-white-burlesque-bakery-book

Charlotte explains: “Burlesque is all about glamour and spectacle and I try to make my cakes with these same principles in mind. I believe that cakes should be beautiful as well as tasting incredible as we eat first with our eyes.”

We met her for the first time at the World Burlesque Games in London last year as she revealed us a few secret ingredients of Burlesque Baking.

An afternoon cupcake interview is organised with her tomorrow, the 19th of February for as she loves Burlesque Bible magazine and wanted to do something special for our editor Helene Phillips. What a lucky one !

That this one below inspired by Immodesty Blaize not look fabulous ? Not only it looks AMAZING… but it also taste somptous. It’s a delight for both your eyes and your lips.
on 21 February 2014
Thank you Burlesque Baking - my cakes will now be pretty as well as tasting good!

This is a seriously beautiful book with gorgeous pictures, fabulous insights into the world of burlesque, beautiful cakes and really easy to follow recipe and decorating instructions - even I can't get it wrong! I can't recommend it highly enough!
on 27 February 2014
We are a 1940s vocal trio, so we absolutely love the Burlesque world and Charlotte's book! It's great to learn how to decorate cakes just like Charlotte, every page is a delight to the eyes, with all the colours, pearls and flowers its a gal's dream! We are just waiting for the right occasion to crack out the champagne and bake and decorate our very own burlesque inspired cake.... We are thinking The Dita Von Tease cake..... YUM!
on 16 April 2014
I saw Charlotte White demonstrating cake decorating at the Ideal Home Xmas Show and was hooked on her simple-to-follow tips that make even the most daunting of tasks look relatively easy! I got this book as a gift and whilst I'm not in the least talented in the cake/baking field I found the recipes that I've tried so far easy to follow with excellent results. As well as the intricate designs in the book that I can admire but not dare to undertake (yet!!!), there's several less-challenging projects for the novice like myself and with a little effort I've managed to turn out some pretty respectable looking cakes.
on 8 July 2014
As Charlotte puts it: burlesque and baking – was ever there a more sublime pairing of artforms?

Her impeccably styled debut unashamedly pushes indulgence and epitomises beauty with 25 lavish cakes to tease your tastebuds, all inspired by the sensational stars of the burlesque scene, including Miss Fleur du Mal, Miss Kitten von Mew, and everyone’s favourite powder puff pin-up, Dita von Teese. We eat with our eyes before we devour with our mouths, but let me tell you, these cakes are most definitely not simply style over substance. They’re style + substance + a whole lot of pizazz, which will draw gasps of excitement from across a crowded room, just like the burlesque performers they’ve been inspired by.

In her clear easy-to-follow guides Charlotte expertly explains the “art of covering up,” so that you too can create such show-stopping masterpieces. From 3 classic recipe bases – Victoria sponge, chocolate mud and salted caramel – you will be guided in the art of creating coquettish, shimmering and decadent treats to seduce your nearest and dearest.
on 10 May 2014
As a cake decorator, this book and it's promise of 'Burlesque' cakes caught my eye, but it doesn't quite live up to its promise. I thought that overall the book was dissappointing, the cake designs were average and the few recipes are nothing that can't be found online. I am looking at this book as someone with a big interest in sugarcraft and I would have liked to see a few challenging designs, it's a shame, as I think it is a fabulous concept
on 11 April 2014
Bought for inspiring ideas for different icing ideas without spending an absolute fortune and this book is great - not a large book but very nicely presented.
on 15 April 2014
Lovely book, full of great ideas and tips for glamming up your baking.

The book itself is a beautiful piece of work - the photography is stunning and really shows off the cakes. All good enough to eat!

Would make a lovely gift or just a nice kitchen reference if you want to make something that really looks and tastes special.