Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 August 2017
I bought this because my husband had this as an audio book as a child and used to love it and the "I'll have that" line. I had never read it, and chose it for story time last night. Well...it's a story of theft (predictably), child abandonment (I mean, she leaves the baby on the doorstep whilst she burgles a house?!) and redemption (the part about donating the funds from her house sale to the Police Benevolence Fund got me!). For a bit I thought it had been ahead of its time, and she was a single mum but no, she calls herself a "widow woman". The book is written with the burglars having (I think) cockney accents (which I thought was a bit rude to cockneys), so doesn't always use correct grammar.
It just wasn't quite what I was expecting! Perhaps it just hasn't aged well (they eat Arrowroot biscuits in it!) Or perhaps we need the audio book to really bring this one to life. Or perhaps my husband just recalls it with rose tinted glasses! It's okay, there are just much better children's books out there nowadays (with much better illustrations), hence the three stars.
on 5 September 2017
Love this story by Janet and Allan Ahlberg, I read this book to my sons 25+ years ago, I can't wait to read it to my grandson. Although this is a paperback the pages are like a normal hardback book. If you haven't read it to your children, please do, it's a delight with a lovely happy ending. Don't forget to give Burglar Bill and Betty those Cockney accents as intended by the Ahlbergs, my kids loved it. So pleased I've been able to get a copy.
on 29 September 2015
An absolute classic from my childhood! I had to buy this for my kids too. They love it too and the especially the baby's attempts to say Burglar Bill.

Warm and engaging and the fact its still in print today is testament to its brilliance.
on 17 March 2017
A classic. Nothing more to say, really, every child should have a copy, by whatever means.
on 19 September 2017
My six year old grandson was very taken with this story and insisted on taking it to school to show the teacher
on 12 April 2017
Another super book by these authorsgreat to rread., delightful illustrations and
on 30 July 2017
Was read this as a child, and now I get to read it to my son. Love the story!
on 17 May 2017
My son loves this book ! We read it all the time . Good moral lessons in there !
on 5 July 2017
Excellent - a great book for reading out loud.
on 14 July 2017
Goods as described. Great service. No problems with order. I highly recommend this seller.